How much for a chimney sweep?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

skinnykid

May 6, 2008
Next to a lake in NH
my guy can't come out till next week and says the sweep will cost $140 cash.

I don't have a chimney, I have a SS stack. Not sure how tall it is.

Hmmm, I have been paying $60 for the past half-dozen years or so. Now my WETT certified is upping his price to $80.

Thanks Skinnykid for making me feel "much better" about the increase :cheese:

That's about right. I just had mine done and it was a little cheaper 119. I usually clean my chimney pipes myself but I wanted to really pay attention to how they cleaned it and what they cleaned inside the stove. It may sound simple but I realized that after they cleaned the pipe my stove is burning a lot better. I now need to scrub a lot more and harder to clean it more thoroughly. Plus they did a great job cleaning inside the stove. I am buying a Craftsman Shop Vac (69 dollars) with a HEPA filter for cleaning the stoves inside, of course only when the ash is COLD, very cold. Those damn filters are 25 bucks a piece...Ouch :)

Still it is worth getting brushes from LOWES or HD and doing it yourself after that. Plus for X-Mas hopefully I will have the Shop Vac and keep the inside and surrounding area of the stove nice and tidy...The wife will be happy.....

Just had mine done - $150

SS chimney on a Heatilator fireplace.
2 story colonial with a 12/12 pitch roof, chimney exit near peak near the center of the roof.

Money well spent as far as I am concerned - no way I am climbing up that roof!

Aaron

I gladly pay my sweep $80.00 to do the job.

House - ranch.

Chimney - 15' ss liner - interior brick chimney.

I paid $225 late last year - - - - ouch! That was to clean the 9" x 12" chimney and firebox for fireplace. I need a cheaper sweep me thinks!

Shari

my brother-in-law's company charges $125 for a cleaning...

We paid $140 last year. The guy has been in business for decades and really knows his stuff. It's money well spent to have an experienced eye look over the chimney once a year. Now that our roof is more accessible, I'm figuring on sweeping it out a couple times mid-season myself in addition to the pro sweeping.

Find someone honest, experienced and dependable and pay what it costs to have them do their job. Cut-rate work never turns out well in the end.

Oh - does he want cash only? That would make me a little nervous. Gives the impression he's working under the radar- maybe no insurance, no license, no real training.

Price 'aint bad (though more than it would cost you to buy the brushes and do it up yourself if you feel comfortable with it)...but I'm always skeptical of anyone running a business and asking for cash only. If he doesn't want to declare taxable income, you shouldn't have to pay full price.

Status
Not open for further replies.