How much for unprocessed wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stockdoct

Oct 19, 2008
ilinois
I'm going to approach local tree-service companies to see if they'll deliver whole logs or rounds to me this winter or spring --- I'll saw them up, split them, stack them and season them on my property for next winter's use. There's actually three of us in the neighborhood who use wood each winter, and I'm asking for enough logs/ rounds to make 6-7 cords of wood. Maybe more.

How much would a reasonable price be for that much wood? I'm figuring, maybe half what it would cost to have seasoned, split firewood delivered, but I'm not sure. In our area, firewood costs about $220 a cord delivered.

I've seen ads for pole length loads from logging companies but I've never paid attention to prices.There is another post in the last few days,the poster said he could get a pole length load for $700.00.That would probably work out to about the $100/cord as you figured.

I have been paying $100 a cord for good hardwood delivered in 8' lengths. 8 cord minimum and this is coming directly from a logging company.

Tree service companies generally buck everything up small enough to handle and they are not too particular on the length they buck it. You may end up with stuff too long, to short, or too twisted to split and stack easily. I certainly would never pay half the going rate of split seasoned wood! It should be free or nearly so.

Most of it depends upon the area. What ever the market will bear!

Shop around - it all depends on the area and the tree service... Many may be willing to do partial loads of whatever they cut that day in your neighborhood for very short bucks since it saves them having to haul it back to their shop...

Gooserider

I stopped at a new jobsite site and asked the logger what he charged, for a 8.5-9.5 cord load of full length hardwood trees was $850.00 I also saw a ad on Craigslist where a guy drops off a tri-axle dump truck full of green short rounds for $400 I would guess 6 cords?

What you need to do is start asking if the tree guys would like to get ride of some wood not how much . Its a funny thing, If the tree guys cant sell the wood they would rather dump it off and not pay for fuel, W&T;on the trucks plus a driver. Most small guys don't have parking for the Equipment let alone log length fire wood and have to take it to the chipper plant to break even . start looking in may or June. Every one is sick of fire wood by then .

The past 2 years I have gotten a tri axle and the trailer ( which holds about as much as the truck) for $700. Price went up with the cost of fuel after I bought mine, but it SHOULD!!?? be back close to where it was.

Attachments

• Copy of 05B7CB50.JPG
    Copy of 05B7CB50.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 360
Across the street in the park, a tree service cut down a huge old maple that had been badly damaged in ice storms. My dad asked what they were doing with the wood, it turns out they were hauling it to the landfill, they dropped it off 20 ft from the woodpile in misc lengths. We just got the stuff about 2' in diameter cause the bigger stuff would be a pain to split, it was hollow/rotted and such. Probably got half a cord from that little endeavor. I imagine if you talked to some trimming services they may deliver the stuff to you for fuel costs, as they have to pay to put it in the landfill...

boogieman, the next time you should take it all. Those big ones don't split any harder than the smaller ones. Just split them where they are instead of trying to move them.

If you have a splitter like us, then it can be a job wrestling them onto the splitter, but not all that bad. For the big ones, I simply use a cant hook and that makes things very easy.

Good find! Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.