how much gas do you keep on hand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevebass4

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2006
Franklin MA
just watched the news and they say tomorrow might bring a nice ice storm much like up state MA suffered through a month ago

i knew i had about a gallon on hand for the snow blower but figured i might as well top off the 5 gallon jug i have plus the two one gallon jugs i have

so i have seven gallons on hand just in case

figure maybe a gallon at most for the snow blower and then six for the genset / saw if need be - i could heat / cook with wood

so how much gas do you guys keep on hand

Three 5 gallon jerry cans of straight gas, two 2-1/2 gallon cans of mixed gas, and one 2-1/2 gallon can of diesel. No genset here.

I probably have about 3 gals of regular and about a half of fresh two cycle. I have a bit more left over from my outboard this summer, but I should pour that in the truck.

Most of the trees around here that were prone to coming down probably have. I heard we were going to get a bit of sleet, but who knows. I'll let you know Thursday. I don't worry about it much. I burn wood for a reason. If I can't run the blower so be it. If the house gets cold I'll either drain the water or turn the faucets on.

If you have a truck, fill the tank up. It's not overly complicated to drop a tank to get at the 20 plus gallons stored there if need be.

Matt

30 gal of gas for the genny and 2 gallons of mix for the chainsaw

~5 gal each of straight gas & diesel. Maybe 1 1/2 gal of mixed 2-cycle. I don't have a genset. Rick

2 - 5 gal cans of gas & diesel and 2 1/2 gal of 2 cycle mix. Gas is always treated diesel gets treated started in Oct.

About 100 gallons in 5 vehicles I can siphon from if I need to. Gallon of mix for the saw. Genset runs on NG. 2 cases of beer for stove operator. Bring on the weather!

Chris

I filled the tank on the genset after last ice storm, then I realized that I needed some fresh gas for the snowmobile and siphoned a few gallons out.
Depending on what I "need" more will get the fuel - and that looks like the sled for this storm - 12-20" predicted.
I also have a 5 gal. can with gas but I don't like the fuel to sit too long...

I think it is a good idea not to let it sit too long.
I've gotten several 'safety' cans; two 5 gallon and one 2 gallon.
They are made out of metal, include a funnel, and are easy to pour without spillage.
I got them at NAPA.

Stevebass4 said:
just watched the news and they say tomorrow might bring a nice ice storm much like up state MA suffered through a month ago

i knew i had about a gallon on hand for the snow blower but figured i might as well top off the 5 gallon jug i have plus the two one gallon jugs i have

so i have seven gallons on hand just in case

figure maybe a gallon at most for the snow blower and then six for the genset / saw if need be - i could heat / cook with wood

so how much gas do you guys keep on hand
we just got through it 12 in of new snow have fun its your turn with this storm

10 gal of gas for welder/gen, lawn mower,trash pump, etc. Mix saw gas 2.5 gals at a time as needed. Gas gets used in pickup and refreshed if it isn't used up fast enough.
5 gal kero for torpedo heater.
500 gal diesel for the big genny,loader and backhoe.

Doesen't hurt to be prepared for the worst when it comes to genny gas. You can always dump it in the car and refresh.

When a bad storm is forecast, I do the following:

Fill both trucks
Fill both tractors and back-up generator
Keep 10 gallons of fresh fuel in the shed, stored in new safety containers. Away from house and barn!
Always have fresh fuel mix for the chain saws.

I never want to search for fuel during a storm

I have 3 x 5 gal + 1 x 6 gal gas cans that typically get filled every winter, treated with sta-bil and used throughout the spring and summer in ATV, wood splitter, generator, etc. I mix the 1 gal 2 cycle can from this supply as needed. I also have 3 x 5 gal diesel cans that get filled as needed. One is on road only as back up for F350 or tractor and the other two usually have off road for use in tractor only.

sinnian said:
3 X 5 gallons of gas (treated, but rotated out ~into vehicle and refilled every 2 weeks, so they are never more then a month old) for genset and snow blower
2 X 1/2 gallon mixed for chain saw and ice auger

i wish ALL MY CUSTOMERS were like you, i would have bunch of happy people with no water problems with their power equipment

5 x 5 gallons of regular, rotated, with almost always at least 15 gal on hand-mostly for vehicles but backup for the gen; plus 2 x 5 gallons of premium, treated and rotated, for the gen and small engines; plus 2 x 6 gal diesel for the tractor, and backup for electricity with the pto gen. I mix 50:1 two cycle on an as needed basis, usually 2 gal at a time.

JeffRey30747 said:
I have 3 x 5 gal + 1 x 6 gal gas cans that typically get filled every winter, treated with sta-bil and used throughout the spring and summer in ATV, wood splitter, generator, etc. I mix the 1 gal 2 cycle can from this supply as needed. I also have 3 x 5 gal diesel cans that get filled as needed. One is on road only as back up for F350 or tractor and the other two usually have off road for use in tractor only.

I was a bit surprised it took until the 13th post in this thread to see anything regarding fuel stabilizer.

Am I missing something?

I have gone my whole life without using fuel stabilizer. I use left over gas from last year with no problems. I never drain gas tanks and don't run the carb dry.

Am I missing something?

LLigetfa said:
I have gone my whole life without using fuel stabilizer. I use left over gas from last year with no problems. I never drain gas tanks and don't run the carb dry.

Am I missing something?

My point of asking is that a lot of people I deal with swear by the fuel stabilizer and I was wondering why it wasn't mentioned here, except for the one reference.

LLigetfa said:

Am I missing something?

imo it's heat and humidity that takes a toll on the shelf life of gas. I'm thinking it's cooler up where you are LLigetfa...that's why you haven't run into any bad gas problems...

...then again it could be an additive that they use up there and not here too...I dunno about that.

Someone stole my 6gal can out of the front yard where I left it out one day!!! Usually that would be full. For now I have about 3.5 gal. of straight gas and about 2 gal of mixed. Plus the 4 ATVs, log splitter, car and 2 trucks have gas in them that could be siphoned in an emergency. No generator.

ccwhite said:
Someone stole my 6gal can out of the front yard where I left it out one day!!!
I'm always careful to keep them out of sight. My paranoia is not so much that someone will steal it but more that some pyromaniac will use my gas to set fire to my woodpile and/or buildings.

I've got about 5 gallons in the generator (treated w/ stabilizer) and probably between 3 and 5 gallons in cans (sometimes more depending) for snowblower, etc., plus whatever is in the GF's van.

Gooserider

I heard it's not as easy to siphon gas from the new vehicles.
I haven't tried, but understand it can be dangerous, like you don't wan't any of it in your lungs, fire hazard, etc.

velvetfoot said:
I heard it's not as easy to siphon gas from the new vehicles.
I haven't tried, but understand it can be dangerous, like you don't wan't any of it in your lungs, fire hazard, etc.

The dangers of siphoning haven't changed, they have been the same since the invention of the first gas tank and a rubber hose... It is a fire hazard, and gas is highly toxic to swallow or inhale...

As to the issues of getting gas out of a car, I'd agree it probably is a little harder simply because most newer cars have more emissions crap in the tank necks to get past, and in some cases the tanks have longer and more convoluted necks to get the hose down, in part due to increased crash damage resistance standards - i.e. no more tanks behind the license plate where they are exposed in rear end crunchies...

However most of these issues can be overcome, or there is also the old (and somewhat tricky) approach of tapping into the carb / fuel injection line, and using the car to pump the gas out of the tank for you...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.