1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

How Much Gas Does Your Stove Use?

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by woodburn, Jul 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodburn

woodburn Member

Loc:
    Long Island, New York
    Hello everybody,

I am usually over in the Hearth Room. Last season, I made the decision to buy a wood stove (Avalon Arbor). I had been toying with getting the gas version. I am wondering what would have happened had I made the other decision. How much gas do gas stoves use? I have a natural gas powered furnace for my hot water baseboard heating system. The on the bill, my gas usage is measured in CCF or Therms, so I am assuming that's what we'll be talking about here.

I burn afternoons till bedtime, and 24/7 on weekends. It would be particularly helpful if anyone with similar usage time could give feedback. I know you probably can't give exact numbers here, but if you guys are anything like us woodburning wacos, I wouldn't be too surprised if you've got the measurments down to a science!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. woodburn

woodburn Member

Loc:
    Long Island, New York
    I guess I'll stay over in the Hearth Room!
  3. samdog

samdog New Member

Loc:
    NW
    A typical gas stove might have a 40,000 BTU/hr rating with the ability to turn it down to say 20,000 BTU. At the 20,000 BTU/hr rating, 1 therm of gas (100,000 BTU) is consumed every 5 hrs so if you burn say from 3 pm - midnight (9 hrs) you'd use about 180,000 BTU or 1.8 therms. Gas around me costs about $1.1/therm fully loaded (actual gas cost, transmission cost and meter charge) so that would be about $2/day or $60/month. Run it at full load and it's $120/month.
  4. woodburn

woodburn Member

Loc:
    Long Island, New York
    Samdog, that is very helpful. Thank you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.