how much horizontal pipe allowed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fireflynj

Jan 28, 2014
New York
what are the Rules with the vent pipes?

I am looking at the possibility of installing a pellet stove in a small house. I was thinking of in the basement but there is a porch that I would have to have a long horizontal pipe to clear. or even if I put it on main floor it would need a 6' horizontal pipe to go through a closet to reach the outside wall. can it be run through a closet and boxed with fireproof material?

I installed my enviro mini on an inside wall. My vent goes horizontal under a stair case with about a 5 ft run. Then I go out and up another 4 ft. I used the Duravent pelket vent pro 3" pipe which is good as close as 1" to combustible. My stove runs great. I think the long horizontal run is just more prone to ash buildup. If you want to play it safe you could go with 4" pipe.

Last edited:
When planning a vent setup you calculate the EVL(Equivalent Vertical Length).
45 deg = 3 EVL
90 deg = 5 EVL
Each foot of horizontal run = 1 EVL
Each foot of vertical run = .5 EVL

If the EVL > 15 then use 4" vent pipe.

As mentioned horizontal runs tend to collect ash and may require frequent cleaning.

Is your living space in the basement? Typically basement installs do not provide heat to upper levels of the house.

this is not a woodstove does not need a draft, the exhaust blower will blow the hot air anywere even downward, think of it like a dryer exhaust

Harman allows up to 4' as an acceptable limit but if you call their help line the people there really suggest not running over 2' of horizontal. My dealer made that call for me incidentally. Consequently I went up my existing chimney with 4". Can't speak for other makes of stoves but that's the word I got about Harman. I know that folks here run horizontal on Harman's longer than 2' but not sure any go 6'.

I have a 6' horizontal run under the stairs and then a 6' vertical on the outside above the clean out tee. I went with 4" Pellet Vent Pro, which has o ring gaskets and do not need to be siliconed at each joint. The vertical rise will help create a draft in the event of a power failure. My brother in law had his house fill with smoke after a power outage because he had no vertical rise. I disconnect the vent from the back of the stove after each ton and blow it out from the inside with an electric leaf blower, then just dump out what little ash is in the bottom of the tee. This set up has worked great for me so far. This past year was my first with the pellet stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.