How much is the Doggie in the window?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

webbie

Seasoned Moderator
Nov 17, 2005
Western Mass.
Rosie looking through from the other side.

Attachments

• rosiedouble.jpg
    rosiedouble.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 754
Gas is clean, clean, clean....certainly beats coal for power plants, etc.....

Doesn't need electric - like stokers and pellet stoves - has a lot going for it. In fact, the hearth industry is and was largely gas for the past decade. Pellets and coal are tiny in comparison. Even wood is a small portion.

Of course, there is less "soul" in it....but also a longer lasting back!

so true... its usually about 70% gas 29od and 1% pellet. Is that lennox like the twilight from heatilator? The twilight is rated for one side being outside and there is no vent, the vent is on the upper grill louver on the outside of the fireplace...

This unit is fully double-sided and vented from the top (convection vents in both rooms) - it goes up about 4 feet and then over about 10 feet though a side wall. It is between our living room and a sunroom, and it warms virtually the entire house if we leave it on. I think it is about 35-38K input.

Why is everyone fooling around with wood? Seems like burning a resource like natural gas is the way to go. No more dirty 2 cycle chainsaws involved. Elk I think its great you are helping people in need, but maybe more of of them fit into a NG heater like this. Allot of folks don't have saws,pickup trucks,log splitter's and the desire to burn wood. Seems like most people on this forum burn wood as a recreation/hobby and to save a buck or two not because they have to. Just a thought! Besides we all know how much work it is to keep up a wood stove. (Better To Be Safe)

Wood is a niche - small niche. The country has actually done a good job moving a lot of stuff over to natural gas, which is usually vastly cleaner than the fuels it replaces. Of course there are potential problems with any fuel, but gas is the best of the fossil fuels in my opinion.

The hobby thing reminds me of a recent visit to a shop that sells woodworking tools. A guy at the register asks "do you have senior discounts" and the clerk says "no, because 90% of our customer are seniors". Turns out that having a lathe is probably one sign that your days are numbered.

wingnut said:
Why is everyone fooling around with wood? Seems like burning a resource like natural gas is the way to go. No more dirty 2 cycle chainsaws involved. Elk I think its great you are helping people in need, but maybe more of of them fit into a NG heater like this. Allot of folks don't have saws,pickup trucks,log splitter's and the desire to burn wood. Seems like most people on this forum burn wood as a recreation/hobby and to save a buck or two not because they have to. Just a thought! Besides we all know how much work it is to keep up a wood stove. (Better To Be Safe)

**** ? **** ? **** ? **** ? **** ? **** ? ****

I agree with you to a certain extent wingnut.

However, what good does convinience do when the family you're providing for can barely afford to keep the electric turned on, LET alone try and pay for natural gas.

The beauty of wood heat is that, with a little hard work and a little luck, most families can heat their houses almost for free.

I am just saying that some poor little old lady might be better off with a gas heater. Not to mention the safety factor, a wood stove is allot of upkeep if you want to do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.