How much is too much?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd take as much as I could get, and spend the winter splitting and stacking.

Since I'm just learning about all this, I guess ignorance is bliss! I'll burn what wood I can get as long as it is dry! I even told my Builder (which I'm sure I've said a few times) to keep my 2x6 and 2x4 cut offs for me. But one guy told me oak was not good to burn . . . that, to me, was really funny. He said pine was the best -- I am guessing that's pretty much all he has around his place. I still plan to burn my oak in 2017--it should be seasoned by then.

That's a first . . .

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
I'd take as much as I could get, and spend the winter splitting and stacking.

So I've been grabbing as many loads as I can fit into my schedule. I recently cut down two large maples however so I haven't been able to split any of the pine as of yet. Since I split by hand and have a hectic schedule it probably won't be till this winter till I get around to some of the pine. I was looking at buying a 6 mil roll of plastic to cover the pine with till I got around to it till a guy at work told me he had some huge pallets come in with some heavy duty plastic on it if I was interested in it for my wood piles. He then in turn said that the pallets are made mostly of oak if I was interested I could have them too. I wasn't going to take it till I found out that they were comprised mostly of oak 4x4 and 4x6 approximately 16' long. There are about 8 pallets. Last night I started drawing up plans for my first wood shed to house my unsplit pine whose framework will be made of oak 4x4's and 4x6's!

Reactions: Shawn Curry
Nothing better than throwing a green 4 foot length on top of other green 4 foot lengths and watching it slide right through the back window. I've witnessed that once. Luckily it wasn't me throwing or my truck.

Reactions: Bigg_Redd
Status
Not open for further replies.