How much is too much?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Thechap

Jan 20, 2008
South Eastern Pennsylvania
So, how much wood on hand is too much? My wife says I'm a woodaholic. I have an outdoor wood boiler and probably burnt eight cords this season. I probably have 20-25 cord cut and split already for the next season or two. When does one stop? I have access to alot of wood and enjoy cutting it. What would one charge for a cord of unseasoned red oak firewood this time of year?

Stop when you've got no more room to put it. It's money in the bank earning interest as it sits and seasons. If it's off the ground and kept reasonably dry, it'll still be good firewood after you've gone to your reward. Rick

Too much wood, you gotta be kidding! You watched the news lately? :ahhh:
A huge wood pile in the back is better than gold in a hole or the stocks in your safety deposit box as far as I can tell.
Keep cutting and stacking, your wife will think you were a genius if things keep going south!

Seems we all have alot in common. I have been working in my "woodland" pretty much non stop since the beginning of Oct. I plan to continue until it gets to warm...I like working in the cold weather outside, its healthy for me and the investment pays off: a win/win. I won't turn down a windfall after then but I wont be as dedicated either.

A three year supply is not too much particularly when it takes up to two years to have really well seasoned wood. I wish I had 25 cord of seasoned Oak.

Three or fours worth. If you get to much you can give some away to an older person.

I got a buddy that goes out every afternoon and collects an arm full of dead stuff to use for that evening.
It's his only heat.
People do what they can.

kenny chaos said:
I got a buddy that goes out every afternoon and collects an arm full of dead stuff to use for that evening.
It's his only heat.
People do what they can.
So why doesn't he collect two arm fulls and get a little ahead?

LLigetfa said:
kenny chaos said:
It's his only heat.
People do what they can.
So why doesn't he collect two arm fulls and get a little ahead?

He has to walk a long way and that's all he can carry.

25 CORDS ARE YOU NUTS.......Look you outta line......your wife is right you got a problem......just to help you out better give us your home address, so we can help you remove some of the more seasoned wood.........for medical reasons of course......and we'll do it quick, before the little lady thinks your really ill......Now we don't offer this service to just anyone, consider yourself "special".......and when you post that address be sure to include the hours you won't be around

My family also claims I'm a woodaholic. I have 1 cord split, 4 cords in my wood cutting area ready to be split, maybe a cord cut up ready to be hauled to my wood cutting area, and about 5 big trees (2 elm, 3 locust) ready to be cut down and moved. One son says I have more than I had last October when we started burning, probably, but I had to scramble for dry wood this winter. I would like to be at least one year ahead, and am really working on that this year, and I also really enjoy the exercise.
If I had 3 or 4 years supply, I would be selling it to buy the toys I want, just an idea. Lets see, 160 a cord, one of those little 4 x 4 japan trucks about 4000, so I need to sell about 25 cords. See you are not really ahead, you need to get to work!!! :)

Aw heckfire, you ain't got too much wood.

I'm jealous, for real. I only have 8 cord split and ready for next season or two, and 5 cord bucked and ready to split, whazzzat? about 13 cord or so?

I'm lookin' for more even as I type :)

Thechap said:
So, how much wood on hand is too much? My wife says I'm a woodaholic. I have an outdoor wood boiler and probably burnt eight cords this season. I probably have 20-25 cord cut and split already for the next season or two. When does one stop? I have access to alot of wood and enjoy cutting it. What would one charge for a cord of unseasoned red oak firewood this time of year?

You burned 8 cords and have only 20-25 on hand. That definitely is not too much. At best you have a 3 year supply, which is ideal. More is even better! Don't forget that if you can let your wood season for 3 years, you'll have good dry wood and you'll get more heat from each cord. So you will actually burn less wood for the same amount of heat, which, in turn means you might have a little over 3 years supply.

If I remember correctly Eric had well over 40 cords last year. Not sure what he has now.

I can tell you that we have enough wood on hand now to go through the year 2016....and we are still cutting. I doubt that I will sell any but every year we do give some away. But even if we don't give any away, like on posted commented, it is like money in the bank. Every time I look at that wood pile I get a good feeling.

Another way to look at this is that we never know what the future will bring. Suppose you get sick or injured some time and you can not get out to cut wood. If you have a good supply on hand then that would be one less thing to worry about.

As for selling, check to see what people in your area are selling wood for and go by that. But I would be in no hurry to sell. With what you have, you are sitting pretty.

Backwoods Savage said:
Suppose you get sick or injured some time and you can not get out to cut wood. If you have a good supply on hand then that would be one less thing to worry about.
That would be a good one to tell the wife. Tell her if you get sick she will have to care for you AND get all the firewood AND maybe suffer a loss of income!

Status
Not open for further replies.