How much kindling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrotherBart said:
Spikem said:
No worries about nails? I would think you would NOT want them in the stove.

Nails in the stove don't hurt a thing. Just scoop them out with the ashes.
Unless you have a stove with a shaker grate. The damn nails would get stuck in the grate of my mom's cook stove and I'd get in trouble because it was my job to remove the nails from the wood. All the ashes ended up in the garden and dad didn't want the nails going in the tractor tires.

BrotherBart said:
Spikem said:
No worries about nails? I would think you would NOT want them in the stove.

Nails in the stove don't hurt a thing. Just scoop them out with the ashes.

Agreed . . . unless you miss one or two when scattering the ashes on your ice covered driveway . . . or in your garden. ;) :)

Some folks in the past have expressed some concern with nails with stoves with cats or the gassifiers . . . I cannot remember if the majority of these particular folks felt the concerns were truly valid or a moot point though.

WOW Some of you have some real nice looking kindling. I'll see about getting a pic of the scrap that I have saved up. It all burns though!

just split a little over 1/2 cord of pine - cut and split very small figure this and 1/4 super cedars i should be fine

my insert is very small (qf2100i) so most times i re-light every night - weekends = 24/7

for the neighbor lady - i left my ryobi splitter at her house. i fill one of those large rubbermaid bins for kindling for her every other week

You can never have too much kindling. If you have a small firebox and don't burn 24/7, you are going to go through quite a bit....had 2 large trash barrels full, and I ran out in Feb, as I don't get overnight burns. Big fireboox/overnight burns, you won't need nearly as much.

My dad uses his ash in the garden and he has a large magnet near the stove that he uses to get the nails out. He has an old smoke dragon and I have not been able to convince him to upgrade yet. He has been doing this for 40 years without any problems.

I agree you can never have enough kindling. As long as you have somewhere to store it. My buddy had his property logged and he gave me 3 bags or more of cutoff poplar ends. They were great for getting my basement furnace restarted after overnight. Sometimes it would burn down so far and there wasnt much left, and throw in a few piceses of poplar and back in bussisness

Shipper

My experience is that it's not that you can never have too much, but that you will never have quite enough.

Shipper50 said:
I agree you can never have enough kindling. As long as you have somewhere to store it.
True. I have only so many 5 gallon pails and they take up too much space on the floor.

I've been thinking of using a pail to make a round bundle that I would bind with giant rubber bands made from inner tubes. That way I could just pull them from the pail and put them on top of my regular stacks in the woodshed.

I've also thought of making single portion bundles of 6 pieces wrapped up in the quantity of newsprint I use to start the fire.

madrone said:
My experience is that it's not that you can never have too much, but that you will never have quite enough.
Invariably, I often procrastinate making more and usually run out on a cold miserable windy day. I don't have anywhere indoors that I can make kin'lin but have thought about making a mini-splitter that I could use right at the hearth.

LLigetfa said:
have thought about making a mini-splitter that I could use right at the hearth.

as mentioned my Ryobi 4 ton splitter has been reassigned to neighbor lady’s hearth – works great for making kindling

ryobi_log_splitter.jpg

Stevebass4 said:
LLigetfa said:
have thought about making a mini-splitter that I could use right at the hearth.

as mentioned my Ryobi 4 ton splitter has been reassigned to neighbor lady’s hearth – works great for making kindling

ryobi_log_splitter.jpg
Nice, but I doubt the wife would let me park it on the hearth.

maybe in glossy black with aluminum wheels

Backwoods Savage said:
While doing the yearly splitting, I also make some kindling. I use soft maple for the kindling because it lights very easy and burns hot. We don't require a lot of kindling simply because it is only for a short time in fall and spring when it is needed. Other times the stove is kept going 24 hours per day.

The kindling we use is about the same size as LLigetfa's. I usually just stack it in the ends of the rows of firewood that is stacked. Sometimes I will mix some right in the regular stack if the ends won't hold it all. Sometimes my wife will also pick up the chips and little pieces after the splitting is done. I usually end up throwing that in the stove when we just need a little bit of heat because I don't like it for kindling. But whatever works.

As to how much kindling, I really don't have a handle on that. I just make some every year. If it looks like we are running low I'll make more or if we have lots I'll make less. It is extremely easy to make nice kindling with a hydraulic splitter. I think sometime I shall take some pictures to show how I do it.

Hey Backwoods - I now have a splitter so I would love to see how you make kindling... would you mind putting together a "how-to"? Thanks!

Woodsman_WI said:
Backwoods Savage said:
While doing the yearly splitting, I also make some kindling. I use soft maple for the kindling because it lights very easy and burns hot. We don't require a lot of kindling simply because it is only for a short time in fall and spring when it is needed. Other times the stove is kept going 24 hours per day.

The kindling we use is about the same size as LLigetfa's. I usually just stack it in the ends of the rows of firewood that is stacked. Sometimes I will mix some right in the regular stack if the ends won't hold it all. Sometimes my wife will also pick up the chips and little pieces after the splitting is done. I usually end up throwing that in the stove when we just need a little bit of heat because I don't like it for kindling. But whatever works.

As to how much kindling, I really don't have a handle on that. I just make some every year. If it looks like we are running low I'll make more or if we have lots I'll make less. It is extremely easy to make nice kindling with a hydraulic splitter. I think sometime I shall take some pictures to show how I do it.

Hey Backwoods - I now have a splitter so I would love to see how you make kindling... would you mind putting together a "how-to"? Thanks!

Okay Woodsman. I'll see if I can do that tomorrow....or very soon if possible.

LLigetfa said:
Shipper50 said:
I agree you can never have enough kindling. As long as you have somewhere to store it.
True. I have only so many 5 gallon pails and they take up too much space on the floor.

I've been thinking of using a pail to make a round bundle that I would bind with giant rubber bands made from inner tubes. That way I could just pull them from the pail and put them on top of my regular stacks in the woodshed.

I've also thought of making single portion bundles of 6 pieces wrapped up in the quantity of newsprint I use to start the fire.

My son tried that, and I don't know if he wrapped the paper too tight or what, but it didn't work well.

Dunebilly said:
LLigetfa said:
Shipper50 said:

My son tried that, and I don't know if he wrapped the paper too tight or what, but it didn't work well.
They would only be wrapped up for storage. I would unwrap and crumple up the paper to light the fire.

I have a 35 gallon can full, and from there put the small stuff in the wood pile to take as I get to it. Wife and daughter pick it up and seem to hoard it at certain parts of the pile for kindling. It has worked in the past. Just use the crap that comes off the end of the splitter.
Chad

I use the Ryobi 4 ton splitter for kinlin in the basement But that were my furance is.
That setup works great for me,

My chunk wood and kindling pile. I can easily split all my kindling for the year in about an hour with the splitter.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• wb_09_01.jpg
    wb_09_01.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 443
I guess different folk have different ideas of what size wood is considered kin'lin. I split mine down to less than an inch. Can't see myself using a 20 ton splitter with blunt wedge to do that.

LLigetfa said:
I guess different folk have different ideas of what size wood is considered kin'lin. I split mine down to less than an inch. Can't see myself using a 20 ton splitter with blunt wedge to do that.
I'm with you. I use a 3.5# single bit ax (with most of the handle tucked under my arm and my hand near the head) and sometimes a hatchet. My actual "splitter" weighs much less than 20 tons, it's only 6 pounds and I wouldn't even think of using that for kindling. I'm not sure I could swing one that weighed 20 tons! ;-)

1/2 to 1 inch size works nice. I make it out of my seasoned oak. I used to use pine for kindling but I like the fact that the oak kindling makes better coals. Pine kindling doesn't make as many coals. With the oak, by the time the kindling is done burning it's already beginning to make a little bed of coals. Pine goes POOF.

I box up the small scraps from splitting, along with the dead branches that fall from the giant oak tree next to the house. When that gets low, I use oak pallets, which are by far the best way to heat up a cold stove.

I just collect fallen branches. Anything from 1/4 inch to 2 inches as long as it is really dry. I snap the smaller pieces and cut the larger with a handsaw. I usually try to keep a rubermaid tub full of it. When I start running low, it's back into the woods to find more branches on the ground. Works wellenough if I plan ahead. I occasionally get caught running out during an extended rain or snow period and then I have to let it sit for a day to dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.