How much left?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Used about 1.5 cord so far.
Started Sept. 18th off and on. Went through 1/2 cord of pine in Sept.-Oct., then about 1/2 cord of soft Maple in November.
The other 1/2 cord has been mostly Oak.
Everything pretty much on schedule. The next 2 to 2.5 months will be very telling though. I'll probably use about 2 cord through Feb., then hopefully 1/2 cord in March. April-May....maybe another 1/2 cord.
TMI?

Reactions: ScotO
You must be up in northern Maine, you have much snow on the ground?

I'm in the Midcoast region. I'm about 20 miles inland from the actual coast, but that's what they call the area.

We have about 2 feet on the ground.

IMG_20121230_152459.jpg

I have burned through 2.5 cords here. Have about 5 cords left so should be plenty. Heating a non insulated home, burning 24x7 since pretty much the start of October.

Cold here right now, going down to 14 the past two nights. Been tweaking my burning habits and have been able to keep it about 70-71 at that temperature.

Don't have room for nearly as much as some on here, but I am ahead about all I have room for and that is about 8 to 10 cords. I haven't burned a cord yet. It is now cold here, finally, and I am going through it much faster. I usually make it through the winter on less than 3 cords. Burning 3 year old stuff right now, I never really keep track that closely. I just try to cut every winter and the supply seems to stay the same. As I get older though, it takes a little longer;)

Gone through 2-2.5 cords so far. Got another 4 inside the basement ready to go. So far it's been a typical winter. I usually go through 4 cords by mid January. 8 for the season. Tonight it's expected to go below zero. Got the boiler at 160 and fired up the wood stove too!

you must have a big place, I'm near you ( Renss Cty) and use about four a season ( Late Nov - Early March)

Little over a cord, but a lot was maple/sass. Kids/dog/wife have left doors wide open leading to considerable cellulose wastage. :mad: Have about 6 cord left, with 3 due to be ready for next year. May have to dip into some of that, though.

you must have a big place, I'm near you ( Renss Cty) and use about four a season ( Late Nov - Early March)

Wow is it cold this morning or what? TV says -6. My weather station says -11. Just finished refilling boiler and waiting a bit before I go outside to do chores....I hate this kind of cold. Makes working outside.....well....work.

I burn mid Oct through April. House, hot water and garage to thaw equipment on days like today. Stay warm :)

I have burned about 1 1/2 cords this year. I have about nine more cords of seasoned wood remaining, so I think I'll be OK this winter. I need to get scrounging!

I recall from previous threads that we are about halfway through the wood burning season. I recall that mid-January is halfway.

Man, you guys are cruising through wood. I live in northern ny, where we have some pretty bad winters and ive burned just under a cord. I was -2 last night. How are people from the more southern states using more wood than i am? My house is pretty averaged sized, 2200 sq ft, keeping roughly 1700 heated and the roughly other 500 sqft partly closed off so "partly heated" i guess id call it. I have a raised ranch with the basement mostly finished, the unfinished is my downstairs garage i call it. I keep the toys in there.

Man, you guys are cruising through wood. I live in northern ny, where we have some pretty bad winters and ive burned just under a cord. I was -2 last night. How are people from the more southern states using more wood than i am? My house is pretty averaged sized, 2200 sq ft, keeping roughly 1700 heated and the roughly other 500 sqft partly closed off so "partly heated" i guess id call it. I have a raised ranch with the basement mostly finished, the unfinished is my downstairs garage i call it. I keep the toys in there.

Most people are either burning shoulder wood - pine,poplar,soft maple, cottonwood etc. and/or running more than one stove.
Everyone's house construction and quality of wood is so varied it's near impossible to compare square footage to cord usage.

I'm at about 3/4 cord used this year. Leaves me with about 1.5 cord left in this years pile about 2.25 cord in next winters pile. Some of next winters pile was just split over thanksgiving so I wouldn't mind having some leftover and letting that stuff stretch to 15/16.

I need to get a couple more cords in come spring.

Your setup sounds very similar to mine. I've burned about 2 cords so far but that's including over a cord of weeping willow which is far from ideal. I've used 100% wood for heat this year and I keep the house 72 - 75 degrees minumum.

Are you running any type of secondary heat? What are your house temps typically?

I don't keep track . . . I've been burning since September and have kept warm. Plenty of wood left. That's all I need to know.

Reactions: tfdchief and ScotO
Good questions Kaptain.
House size, insulation, layout, insulation, house temps, outside temps, insulation, alternate heat use, all play into wood use.
dja950, sounds like you're well insulated.

Good questions Kaptain.
House size, insulation, layout, insulation, house temps, outside temps, insulation, alternate heat use, all play into wood use.
dja950, sounds like you're well insulated.

Definately. Im heating only 2/3 space only on weekends and have as much wood.

Reading these forums Ive seen folks heating everything from 500 ft2 cottages to 6000 ft2 mansions... everything from 300 year old drafty uninsulated stone farmhouses to modern, supertight, superinsulated passive houses.... in climates everywhere from Florida (yes Florida!) to Alaska, and even northern Europe... using everything from a pot belly smoke dragon to super efficient PH or BKK... burning everything from pine to 7 year old oak (split vertically of course!)

Comparisons are almost pointless............... but fun nonetheless.

Your setup sounds very similar to mine. I've burned about 2 cords so far but that's including over a cord of weeping willow which is far from ideal. I've used 100% wood for heat this year and I keep the house 72 - 75 degrees minumum.

Are you running any type of secondary heat? What are your house temps typically?
I started burning wood at the end of october. Used my propane fireplace upstairs just to take the chill off before i used wood. Id run it for maybe a half hr in the a.m, just because at night the temps were cold and the house would drop to 62 or 63....but since then just wood, no secondary heat. House usually isnt below 68. I live alone and work shift schedule, 2 days followed by 2 nights then 4 off. When im on my 4 off and im home alot house is usually 70-75, try not to get it to 75, but wood heat isnt easy to control on the time. Way to hot for me. 70's perfect. I like to walk about in sweat pants and a t shirt.... when i work nights, i try to get it a little warmer, probably near 75, load the stove at 230 pm, and leave by 3pm. When i get home the next morning, usually around 7- 8 am the house is 65-67 or so depending on how cold it is outside, thats a full 16-17 hrs after a reload, and ill have just enough coals to restart. an hr later tops and the house is back up to 70. This is with my stove in the basement too, and these temps are upstairs. I have registers in the floors which helps tremendously with moving the heat up in my opinion. that and the stairway is just off the stove room. Im very pleased with the enviro kodiak 1700. This is my 2nd house, first with a wood stove. saving a ton on energy.

Definately. Im heating only 2/3 space only on weekends and have as much wood.

Reading these forums Ive seen folks heating everything from 500 ft2 cottages to 6000 ft2 mansions... everything from 300 year old drafty uninsulated stone farmhouses to modern, supertight, superinsulated passive houses.... in climates everywhere from Florida (yes Florida!) to Alaska, and even northern Europe... using everything from a pot belly smoke dragon to super efficient PH or BKK... burning everything from pine to 7 year old oak (split vertically of course!)

Comparisons are almost pointless............... but fun nonetheless.
I was just very surprised by it. To be honest ive got no idea how well the house is insulated. Just bought the house over the summer, house was built in 1962 i believe. I thought i was going to have a larger amount of heat loss due to the garage door in the basement. Its an insulated garage door, but a garage door non the less. It appears to be sealed pretty tight somehow.

Burned 2.5 cords of gray birch, big toothed aspen, quaking aspen. Im now into green ash and black cherry. Nights now are some oak mixed. Been burning since first week of October pretty much 24/7.
Im in exact middle of eastern part of NY. Temp this morning at 5:00am was -14°
Wood for Jan -Feb will be chestnut oak and green ash and pignut hickory.
I have 3 cords left of mixed hardwoods for 2012-13 season.

I'm 3-35 cu ft kiln baskets of scrapwood and 2 cord of good stuff into my ready supply. 12 cord ready to go and 40-50 cord of long wood stacked in the yard 4+ years. Won't be runnin out any time soon.

As of January 1 , I've burnt about 1/3 of my stash( approx 1.33 cord) since I started the weekend after Thanksgiving
When Sunday arrives, I will have burned 1 full cord since September,still leaves me with about 24 cords left,unless we get hammered severely I might be okay this year.

Started burning near end of October, gone through a little less than a cord so far. If these temps stick around awhile it will change quickly!

I've gone through a little over a cord. I have about 1/2 cord left so that's seasoned, so I might be on natural gas the rest of the year. I have about 2.5 cords ready for next year. A whole lot better than last year but it's not good enough. Hopefully I will have about 5 nice size ash to come down in a few weeks that can be for 2013/2014 or later.

Burned about a cord so far. Have about 12 more stacked and split, about 7 of them ready to burn. I have about 3 cords on the property that have to be cut, split, and stacked. I try to have about 13 cords on hand at all times to stay 3 years ahead. It just got cold this week so consumption will be going up.

I think we've burned about 1.5 cords so far, quite a bit of it odds and ends, shoulder season stuff. Still have about 4-5 cords or so in this year's stack, and another 6-8 cords going forward. We'll burn another 4 or 5 cords depending on how the season goes. Usually by late March/early April when the weather starts to break, we're ready to let up on wood and let the nat gas furnaace earn it's keep.

ive burn 1 2/3 cords so far this year. +1 on if it stays this cold things will change i was @ -22 last night about 3 am. house was 72 but i stayed up all night with the stove. heating a super drafty old mountain home. i still have 5 cords of wood that is seasoned and have 3 cords blocked up ready to be split. well see were i end up at seasons end

Reactions: Cross Cut Saw
Status
Not open for further replies.