How much less?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wtyamamoto

Jul 17, 2006
Southern NH
Hey everyone, I have a question for anyone who went from pre-epa to epa. This is my first year with an epa non-cat stove (Buck Model 26). The house previously had a pre-epa monster (Morninglow).

I know there is a LOT of variables involved, but I was just wondering about how much less wood did you end up burning in a season when you went from pre-epa to epa?

Thanks for your input!
Wayne

I noticed at least 1/3 less.....from an Upland (maybe 50% efficient) to a Resolute Acclaim (about 65%). Of course, that savings would show that I was probably burning the Upland at lower than 50 and the Resi at higher than 65%. In the real world, it is often true that older stoves are burned at lower efficiencies.

1/3 less is about right for me and also went from 70° heat that was not very consistent to a more constant 75° on the main floor and 72° on the second floor and much longer burn times.

Status
Not open for further replies.