How much moisture is too much?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dylskee

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2008
Central MA
I'm on my third fire with my new stove and I'm starting to question the wood I just bought. I can't seem to get the stovetop temps above 450 after engaging the cat @250. Tonight I had a hard time getting the fire to take off when starting, and I noticed a loud hissing sound from the wood so I opened the door to take a look and I could see bubbles on the ends of the wood. This was after 30 minutes since I lit the stove, took over an hour to engage the cat. I know it's normal for the wood to have some moisture but this seems excessive. The wood is stored in my regular shed so it is completely sheltered from the rain. The wood was advertised as being below 20% moisture content but I'm thinking I should buy myself a moisture meter this weekend and check for myself.
Here's a quick video for you, you can't see the water too well but you can hear the moisture steaming out and this was @30+ minutes of burning.......

EDIT: 10 minutes after I posted this the stove hit 525 degrees with the air control @2, I dialed it down because it's getting pretty warm in here. Looks like I can get the stove hot but it's going to take some air and that's going to eat a lot of wood. I will know more when the actual cold weather hits and I can dial in the stove.

If its bubbling and hissing its not where you want your wood to be. I purchased a mm for pretty cheap, and under 20% mm reading on a fresh split is ideal. Almost all of the tree guys will say seasoned, when its not. I doubt they stack it either. I always see piles. There is other ways to check if seasoned, multiple cracks on the side if a split, a darker, grey color (see bw savage recent post), shouldn't be too cold held against your cheek, or bang 2 splits together, should have that baseball bat hollow sound. Your tree guy may have oak in there too. Might have to go through the stack and segregate. Good luck, Be well

Reactions: Standingdead
Not sure what kind of wood you've got, but gray doesn't always mean dry (although it can). Neither does checking.
Sorry to be a party pooper WS, but that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
dylskee, that wood is obviously not dry and the moisture in it is "too much". No way that wood is below 20%.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Not sure what kind of wood you've got, but gray doesn't always mean dry (although it can). Neither does checking.
Sorry to be a party pooper WS, but that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
dylskee, that wood is obviously not dry and the moisture in it is "too much". No way that wood is below 20%.

Its my party and ill cry if I want to:(
+1, but if he has poor wood, he will need to be checking the chimney more often. Good luck, maybe it ain't all that wet, I'd at least check what you have in stock.

Wood stored under cover (i.e. - Indoors) will have little to no fading or greying. It will check some. But the wood in my stacks,by the house, is all the same age (within a few months). Some was stored outside since day 1, and a lot was stored in my barn for about a year. The wood from the barn has a lower M/C and looks like it is almost fresh cut.

The other pic (one large stack with some unsplit rounds) is wood that was split this Spring/early Summer. It's also kinda grey, but nowhere near ready.

That wood you have seems to be a little wet. Even without the noise, the smoke rolling around in the box is a good indicator.

Attachments

• 2012-09-30_10-02-04_527.jpg
    2012-09-30_10-02-04_527.jpg
    798.6 KB · Views: 255
  • 2012-09-30_09-43-25_82.jpg
    2012-09-30_09-43-25_82.jpg
    885.3 KB · Views: 241
Reactions: basod and ScotO
I'd bet they tested the end of a split, or didn't re split a piece to get their 20% reading. The outside will dry real fast, but the inside takes time or a kiln.If you plan to burn it this winter, I'd re split the larger pieces for quicker drying, & check that chimney frequently for creosote build up. Also if possible, buy/cut/scrounge next winters wood now, so you know it's dry. A C

Their goes Dex showing off his wood again.==c

I think he has kiln dried wood but it appears the guy didnt give it enough time in the kiln, I bought a little wood off the same guy last year to test it and it was dry, thats if he ended up getting it from the same guy I recommended. Dylskee, if it was that guy Id contact him and tell him to bring you some wood thtas been properly kiln dried.

If you just bought your wood I would bet my lungs that the majority is nowhere near 20% mc (unless you bought kiln dried) I've never seen a firewood dealer who has multiple years of wood split and stacked, and that's the only way it will get down below 20%, unless they are using a meter on the outside of a split or on the center of small splits on top of their wood pile. A moisture meter is cheap and the best way to know how dry your wood is, yes there are other ways to estimate, checking, sound, but they are only marginally reliable, it's one thing to bang two pieces together that you know have been sitting in your stack for a a year or so and another to do that with wood you just had delivered. So get a meter and check it, I got mine online from amazon for $22. And while you are at it if you think the dealer have you an honest cord order a few more for next fall, then you'll know what you have.

I wouldn't be surprised if the wood is too wet. In fact I'd be surprised if it really is seasoned, but another problem might be poor draft. My setup doesn't draft nearly as well in warmish weather like today as it will in cold weather.

If you just bought your wood I would bet my lungs that the majority is nowhere near 20% mc (unless you bought kiln dried) I've never seen a firewood dealer who has multiple years of wood split and stacked, and that's the only way it will get down below 20%, unless they are using a meter on the outside of a split or on the center of small splits on top of their wood pile. A moisture meter is cheap and the best way to know how dry your wood is, yes there are other ways to estimate, checking, sound, but they are only marginally reliable, it's one thing to bang two pieces together that you know have been sitting in your stack for a a year or so and another to do that with wood you just had delivered. So get a meter and check it, I got mine online from amazon for $22. And while you are at it if you think the dealer have you an honest cord order a few more for next fall, then you'll know what you have.

Actually if he bought it from the guy I have and recomended he use to have a couple hundred cords stacked neatly on his property seasoning for a couple of years, my first year I bought a cord from him and it was definately seasoned, a couple years ago he bought a kiln and has been kiln drying his wood, I bought a small load last year to try it out ( I ran into him at the local store and he talked me into trying a bit) and the wood was dry and burned well in my BK. The load I had was mostly ash and cherry, wonder if Dylskee got another species or if he didnt fire it long enough in the kiln.

I'm on my third fire with my new stove and I'm starting to question the wood I just bought. I can't seem to get the stovetop temps above 450 after engaging the cat @250. Tonight I had a hard time getting the fire to take off when starting, and I noticed a loud hissing sound from the wood so I opened the door to take a look and I could see bubbles on the ends of the wood. This was after 30 minutes since I lit the stove, took over an hour to engage the cat. I know it's normal for the wood to have some moisture but this seems excessive. The wood is stored in my regular shed so it is completely sheltered from the rain. The wood was advertised as being below 20% moisture content but I'm thinking I should buy myself a moisture meter this weekend and check for myself.
Here's a quick video for you, you can't see the water too well but you can hear the moisture steaming out and this was @30+ minutes of burning.......

EDIT: 10 minutes after I posted this the stove hit 525 degrees with the air control @2, I dialed it down because it's getting pretty warm in here. Looks like I can get the stove hot but it's going to take some air and that's going to eat a lot of wood. I will know more when the actual cold weather hits and I can dial in the stove.

Dylskee, this is really sad. For sure that wood is not dry enough. One can tell just looking at the wood as it is burning. If you burn more of this you very likely will have problems with both the chimney and possibly the catalyst. To keep from cat problems you can let the fire burn longer before engaging the cat (get the wood so it is not sizzling).

One more thing that will help that fire is how you have the wood. Notice the big air gap between the splits. Just shifting that wood so it is closer together will help the burn.

In the meantime, I highly suggest you attempt to get some better wood.

Sorry for the late reply, I work long hours during the week. Looks like it's a mixed bag of wood, seasoned mixed with unseasoned. I give people one shot, I'll be looking for another wood guy.

@weatherguy, I didn't buy the kiln dry wood but he said this stuff was seasoned for over a year. Doesn't look that way, I wouldn't mind so much but I paid a premium for this stuff. $200. for 100 cu.ft. I didn't mind paying more for good fuel but this just isn't. As far as the species it's a mixed bag of Oak, Hickory, Cherry,.Ash, and Red maple. The wood looks really good and feels light and dry but when it burns you can see all the moisture seep out of the ends for 30+ minutes. I have been engaging my cat when the stove top hits 300 degrees.

Dylskee, for sure that oak should tip you off. 3 years to dry that stuff. Also, when buying wood it is not enough to know the wood has "seasoned" for a year. Find out when it was split. Most split just before delivery and therein lies the problem.

With what you have, the ash, cherry and red maple will be your best bets for burning.

Reactions: ScotO
Dylskee, for sure that oak should tip you off. 3 years to dry that stuff. Also, when buying wood it is not enough to know the wood has "seasoned" for a year. Find out when it was split. Most split just before delivery and therein lies the problem.

With what you have, the ash, cherry and red maple will be your best bets for burning.
From what he has told me this was split a year and a half ago. He splits all his wood and stacks it for seasoning, it looks really good but it burns wet.

Something there just doesn't figure then. Everything should be good except for the oak. Perhaps he has not been telling it like it really is?

Never assume that wood you buy is seasoned properly. Then if it is you'll be pleasantly surprised.

From what he has told me this was split a year and a half ago. He splits all his wood and stacks it for seasoning, it looks really good but it burns wet.

He may be telling the truth, but if the wood you got was from in the middle of a large tight stack it may never have gotten any airflow to it. Oak @ 1.5 years would be marginal at best if stacked loosely in the sun & wind & split very small. The other woods, stacked tightly together, multiple rows next to one another probably wouldn't season anywhere near properly in a year and a half either. Add rain etc. to the stack, & presto, wet wood. I have no idea how he stacks his product, but anything I'm gonna burn in a year gets stacked in long single rows, broadside to the prevailing winds, & in as much sun as possible. I keep my rows 4' apart for airflow as well as room for the wheel barrow to get in between. No idea if this helps any, just some random thoughts. A C

No idea if this helps any, just some random thoughts. A C
All input is appreciated and I've learned a lot from this place already so I listen to everyone. Thanks again for all the replies, I really do appreciate it.

He may be telling the truth, but if the wood you got was from in the middle of a large tight stack it may never have gotten any airflow to it. Oak @ 1.5 years would be marginal at best if stacked loosely in the sun & wind & split very small. The other woods, stacked tightly together, multiple rows next to one another probably wouldn't season anywhere near properly in a year and a half either. Add rain etc. to the stack, & presto, wet wood. I have no idea how he stacks his product, but anything I'm gonna burn in a year gets stacked in long single rows, broadside to the prevailing winds, & in as much sun as possible. I keep my rows 4' apart for airflow as well as room for the wheel barrow to get in between. No idea if this helps any, just some random thoughts. A C
He does stack his wood in a large tight stack and it appears you got some that did season and some that wasnt able to in the time because of the way it was stacked and the type of wood. This guys doesnt lie but most of his customers dont need it as dry as we do with out cats so he probably thought it was ok. The first year I needed some seasoned wood I got some of the wood that was left out to season and was good and dry, last year the kiln dried was good that was why I recommended him. Ill talk to him next time I see him, I run into him quite a bit in town.
He should know better with the oak, in fact I know he does because he picked up some of my oak splits and said they werent seasoned enough and offered to kiln my oak for a pretty cheap fee but I had enough dry wood or I may have taken him up on his offer.

He does stack his wood in a large tight stack and it appears you got some that did season and some that wasnt able to in the time because of the way it was stacked and the type of wood. This guys doesnt lie but most of his customers dont need it as dry as we do with out cats so he probably thought it was ok. The first year I needed some seasoned wood I got some of the wood that was left out to season and was good and dry, last year the kiln dried was good that was why I recommended him. Ill talk to him next time I see him, I run into him quite a bit in town.
He should know better with the oak, in fact I know he does because he picked up some of my oak splits and said they werent seasoned enough and offered to kiln my oak for a pretty cheap fee but I had enough dry wood or I may have taken him up on his offer.
Don't bother, this guy is a complete jerk to be polite! When he delivered the wood to me I measured it after I stacked it and he was 77 cu.ft short, I contacted him and he was sooo sorry and gave me an excuse that one of his trailers was smaller than the rest. Anyway, he brought me another load and apologized for shorting me. I paid $600. for 3 trailer loads and it was supposed to be 300 cu.ft. He gave me an extra 50 cu.ft so me being a nice guy offered to give him another $100. for doing that. After finding out he sold me unseasoned wood I contacted him again and said I was not going to give him the extra $100. and his wood was loaded with moisture. The guy freaks out and demands to come back here and take all his wood back and give me a refund, I replied and said no thanks, I'll keep the wood but you lost a future customer. He threatened to go to the police and have them investigate me and his wood! He just sent me an email telling me to return the extra load of wood or ay another $200. or he's going to sue me for the money plus legal fees!!! What the hell!!!?? This guy is nuts to say the least. I told him I'll never pay him the extra money and the wood is mine, he accepted payment already, he can't change his mind..... Man, I'll never use craigslist again for firewood! Too many idiotic people out there.

Wow, that's a bummer. Bad experience for sure. Work with what you've got for now, & chalk it up to lesson learned I guess. Not trying to be flip about this, but most of us have learned the " seasoned wood " lesson the hard way. If you intend to use wood as a primary heat source, I'd suggest you do what you have to do to get 2-3 years ahead on fire wood. When you know that you have good fuel wood you'll rest much easier, & enjoy wood heat, trust me, I learned the hard way too. A C

You're right AC! I'm not one to dwell on things I can't control so lesson learned for sure and I'm going to scrounge wood as much as I can and I've got a cord of maple I'm going to split this fall for next year so I have already started on next year's pile......:)

Status
Not open for further replies.