How much more efficient??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAcountryboy

Hearth Supporter
Jul 24, 2008
South Central PA
How much more efficient are the new EPA wood stoves vs. the old, pre-EPA stoves? Twice as efficient? 50% more, 25% more???
Considering buying a used older stove, but looking at long term costs with wood efficiency since I will have to supplment my free wood with purchasing some wood.

We used to burn from 5 to 6 cords of wood per winter. Put in the Fireview last summer. Burned just under 3 cords last winter. btw, the Fireview is all we use for heat. We have no furnace or other source of heat. So 3 cords for a cold Michigan winter is pretty darned good. We are very happy we bought this stove.

Same as Dennis. Went from five cords in the main stove to around three after the change out.

I kept the same amount but burn twice as long, you can control the output better and burn about half as much. It is a win/win situation.

I wouldnt spend any money on a pre-epa approved stove. When I could invest in something that can save me money in the long run. Of course the stove off the bat is going to cost you more, but like everyone said. You burn half the wood and get the same amount of heat if not more. Plus there better for the environment as well.

PAcountryboy if you have to buy wood then start looking for a showroom model EPA stove. If you had an unlimited free supply in your backyard that's another thing cause for the most part woods an easy take working in your back yard. But you're also scrounging that's more sweat equity than working in your backyard...a newer stove makes it more worthwhile imo.

Glowball Worming Bustierre said:
new stoves have glass front for viewing nature of fire=priceless

i have an obsession with watching the fire. its a good indicator of how the fire is burning as well. don't think i could do without a glass view

rich81 said:
Glowball Worming Bustierre said:
new stoves have glass front for viewing nature of fire=priceless

i have an obsession with watching the fire. its a good indicator of how the fire is burning as well. don't think i could do without a glass view

DITTO! Secondary combustion provides hours of entertainment. Wouldn't go back to the Fisher for any price...

Chris

PAcountryboy said:
How much more efficient are the new EPA wood stoves vs. the old, pre-EPA stoves?

A whole bunch more. Like, maybe a buttload more. Rick

fossil said:
A whole bunch more. Like, maybe a buttload more. Rick

Buttload, that's like the equivalent of a toe cord or a frinkle? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.