How much of a price difference is too much?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amlikam

Oct 31, 2007
Western Ma, Berkshires
I recently started to compare prices for on a Harman P68... My local dealer offers the stove a $2,900 (plus tax and install, includes a ton of Pellets if I buy today)...
However another dealer, a bit further away is charging $2,400 (plus tax and install)- but told me because of distance it would be hard for the to service the item if needed.
So a few questions:
-Which price is more acurate and fairly priced?
-Is the local dealer obligated to service the stove (even though they already said the are not allowed to per Harman's regs.)
-Am I able to service my own stove if my original dealer is far away? (I read the warranty is transferable, so what happens if I sell the stove to someone who lives far away, say on craigs list or something?)

Thanks for any insight,
~am

Thats almost 20%

See if your local dealer will work with you on that price.
Local dealer may be obligated to service it but you will certainly go to the bottom of his list at best. If you can get him to meet you halfway consider that progress made and get it locally.

MSRP on the P68 with no options is $3108.

The local dealer has NO obligation to service a stove that he did not sell. (It is not like buying a Chevy at one dealership and having the and the warranty administered at another.) The selling dealer IS obligated to warranty the stove, wherever it is sold. However, the more distance involved the more you have may have to wait without heat.

Most people will tell you that there are legal protections if you choose to work on your stove (or any other product for that matter) that does not necessarily void your warranty. I would be cautious with that, however.

The assumption of an transferable warranty would be that there would be a servicing dealer in the area.

I suppose I'm a nutcase. I always buy locally even if it costs me more. With gasoline soon to be three dollars a gallon, I want local support. I just bought a new Toro Snow thrower from a dealer 2 miles from my house and I know I could get a better deal if I wanted a look around.

SMK

Soon to be? I paid $3.09 this morning.

The ton of pellets is worth around $225 or $250, so I'd factor that in. Plus they probably deliver them when they bring the stove.

I don't know much about pellet stoves, and from the price, this sounds like a good one. However, my impression is that they break down a lot more frequently than woodstoves, so locally-available warranty service is probably another factor worth considering.

So I'd say if you can get the local guy to either knock a couple of hundred bucks off the price or double the pellet bonus, then you're right where you want to be. If not, then you probably still are.

Well local service will be a huge thing if you have a problem with the stove.

The other thing is make sure what is included in the install or options. Possibly you can get some chrome grill work or something else.

My worry would be the cheaper shop would cut corners on the install and cause you problems later.

Dealer I bought my harman from is nice enough to let me do my own warranty work.

If you figure $200 for the pellets there is only $300 difference for the stove... less difference if pellets cost more in your area. I would probably go with the closer manufacturer... maybe you can get something extra out of the deal like the other posters said... it never hurts to ask.

Matt

That's a lot of money diff.

If it was not for the ton of pellets, I'd go for the savings...but the pellets make it tougher. I suppose the discount is due to the situation at Harman (company being bought, and overstocked)...no dealer can normally afford to sell something at a $700 discount to list.

"-Is the local dealer obligated to service the stove (even though they already said the are not allowed to per Harman’s regs.) "

understand this: the dealer who sells the unit to you is the warranty service provider. buying a stove from a dealer who is further away then expecting the closer dealer to have to do warranty work is just plain unfair. he(the close guy) didnt make a dime on the initial sale. maybe he could match the deal , maybe not , its his store he does whats best for him (each his own) you can get the unit from the farther guy, but expecting the close guy to have to deal with your warranty issue when you bought from someone else is not only not in the contract, but not very considerate either IMHO.

With a Harman stove it is a no brainer. If you want one of their stoves, buy it from the local dealer. They make no bones about the fact that if you don't and need service then you are hosed.

Testimony on this Forum many times that they have a great "Gate Keeper" that answers the phone and she knows fifty ways to tell you to talk to your dealer or go pound sand.

It ain't wrong. It is just the way they do it and ya need to know it going in.

Well, actually is is wrong, because dealers move, stoves are moved, etc. - and the manufacturer has the obligation to stand behind their stove(s). Of course, with Harman, who knows what the future deal will be. The deal, if it goes through, is very clear about HHT not assuming liabilities - whether those include existing stove warranties, and to what point is another story. As we speak right now, there is effectively "no manufacturer" of these stoves with the resources to stand behind the warranty.

But, all things being normal, I would go with a 500-700 savings IF I was confident that I could fix and service the stove myself. That is a LOT of money.

Realistically Craig you don't spend that kinda cash just to let a brand name go to hell. You buy it to profit from it by keeping it going. Usually when it has been kicking your butt in the marketplace. If HHT wanted Harman just gone that would have happened in two years anyway. Last year kicked the crap out of all stove makers and most of them didn't have the bill coming due for expansion that Dane had. If it doesn't get real cold real quick this year is going to be 1987 all over again for stove makers.

They bought Harman to keep it going and support it. Now that said, HHT's viability as a going concern is a whole nother issue. They ain't doing so good themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.