How much pipe above roof?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dieharddan

Sep 26, 2014
Wisconsin
Hello, what is your recommendation for the amount of pipe sticking out of the roof? My local building inspector told me to follow the manufacturers instructions and the selkirk pv instructions say 2 feet above the roof surface. Is that enough? I read others recommend the 2ft/10ft rule used with wood stove piping, but if that isnt really necessary i would rather follow the instructions as i think 6ft of piping sticking out of the roof would look ridiculous. And i haven't seen that rule mentioned in multiple other brand instructions, and resources other than on this forum. Alot of the other brand instructions recommend a minimum of 12" above the penetration point.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.