How much should I ask for this splitter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
The splitter is homemade and I am the second owner. It has:
16 gpm vickers single vane pump
8 HP Briggs Intek, (mechanical fuel pump so you can use an external fuel tank) only 2 seasons use on engine.
36"x4" cylinder with 2"Rod
10" tall splitting wedge
wood tray past the wedge
Huge I beam at least 8" across
House trailer axle and H rated tires. (trailerable)
aproximately 10 gallon hydraulic tank. Changed and filled 5 gallons last spring.
Hydraulic fluid filter
Belt driven engine to pump
good ht to stand and work all day
Rugged unit.

Some things I would disclose to interested parties:
Muffler vibrated off the briggs this summer
occasional hydraulic leaking at pump to hose connections but tightening works for a while.
Detent valve does not return on it's own and doesn't open up to flow when it is stopped, it will kill the motor if you do not release.
could use a new pully set-up on the engine to gear the rpms down at the pump to 700 rpm instead of the 1800 or so it is spinning at right now.
Does need someone who is mechanically inclined to perform future modifications to update system if that is desired.

How much do you think this would be worth on the market today. And don't give me lowball answers if you want it:):)

This picture has the old engine on it. Same set-up just with a briggs Intek on it now.

Attachments

• Splitter.jpg
    Splitter.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 632
I have one but have seen a few home made splitters go from 100.00 not working to 800.00 working good

Hey if it started right up and split the elm I brought along it would worth anything up to 550 to me. Of course the less I'd pay the happier I'd be. I've split enough by hand to respect/appreciate something that's less than perfect but still serviceable ...quirks and all.

well since that not much different from what i bought i'd say 500 is good.might be worth more depending on what prices go in ny I'd guess higher than here in missouri.

I just got a home built kind of like your off of craigs list. I paid 300$ thought it was a great deal. So any where from 300-500$

I had 2 serious buyers for the splitter. I had it listed at $700 and was looking for $600. When it came to serously selling the old girl I really had a hard time saying yes to the buyer. Not because the price wasn't fair but because I realized that I really didn't want to get rid of her. The design is great with the log table, it is a good height for me to work at, axles are in good shape,tank doesn't leak and has a large capacity, and built sturdy as all heck. My worst nightmare would be to sell what I had, buy something brand new and have problems with it! I have had a black cloud following me with consumer purchases the past few years and I would be very upset if I sold the old girl for something new and more reliable and it turned out to not be so reliable I would have to be committed to get my anger under control.
I just bought a 16 gpm haldex pump to make it a direct drive system. Bought a new prince detent valve and a few other things to make it more user friendly. An older farmer friend of mine had said that he would help me reconfigure the hoses and the engine so that it will all work right. I am hoping after these fixes that the splitter will be more reliable and prone to breakdown with the broken belts and heavy vibration.
My wife has requested a fresh coat of paint on the old girl as well. She will look so pretty when we are done!

Attachments

• Splitter.jpg
    Splitter.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 399
Oh shoot...I was gonna offer you $1250 for it. %-P Rick

SOLD...another $1250 and I will throw in the new pump AND I will let you split 8 cord of my wood with it.

fossil said:
Oh shoot...I was gonna offer you $1250 for it. %-P Rick

May I be so bold as to suggest a powder coated Alice Chalmers orange for the frame and a spray-on satin pea green on the wheels.

It looked like a three inch cylinder and a 3-5hp engine and I went back to check your specs and look at the picture again.
That's a lot bigger and beefier than what it first appeared to me. Good choice and enjoy the process.

LOL... so you couldn't part with it after all. Sometimes you're better off with the devil you know.

That's a nice old splitter. Glad to hear you kept it. Getting rid of that belt will be an unbelievable improvement. Good luck and share some pics when you got it all done please.

Status
Not open for further replies.