How much should I sell my wood stove insert for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lpotter

Mar 22, 2015
Raleigh, NC
We are buying a home with a wood stove insert. I'm guessing the insert is as old as the home--1986. It is huge and everyone who sees it thinks we should keep it, but we have a toddler who is into everything and another baby on the way, and it's just not an option for us. So my question is--how do we find out what it's worth? And how do we sell it? We're really tempted to just take it to the scrap yard, but I think someone could really use it and maybe we could get something out of it.

Welcome. There are a lot of options you might consider. One is to keep it and a stack of wood on hand for emergency heat if there is a winter power outage. Otherwise you can list it on the local craigslist. It should go pretty quickly if it is in good condition. If you can post a picture of the insert here we may be able to give you a rough idea of its value.

Okay, thanks! I will take a good picture of it the next time we are there and post it here. We really don't have anywhere to store it--no garage or shed or anything, so it would just sit outside and rust.

Status
Not open for further replies.