How much should you be able to bend fiberglass rods? Trying to clean for the second time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveswoodhauler

Minister of Fire
May 20, 2008
Massachusetts
Ok, so here I am now with my new 6" brush and 3 foot rutland fiberglass rods.
Since my insert is about flush with the floor, and I think I am going to have the same problem as I did last year with my attempt with 4 foot rods, in that I couldn't bend the rod enought to make an almost 90 degree turn up the liner.
So, I don't want to snap the rod, so realistically how much of a bend can you work these things.
After I make the turn up the liner, its about a 25 foot straight shot to the cap...so this is the only turn I need to make at the bottom.
Just don't want to snap a rod and then call the sweep and have him laugh at me.

Edit: For those wondering why I am cleaning from the bottom up, its about a 35-40' climb up a ladder as the side of the house with the chimney is practically a walk out basement, and have a good family friend that is in a wheelchair due to a fall from a ladder. I ain't going up there...even asked the sweep to go up there last year, and said he didn't have a ladder tall enough

I don't have much to add, but the polypro. rods I have (like sprinkler pipe mains), bends 90.
I got them because the fiberglass rods I had wouldn't bend that much, I felt.
I was in Ace last year, however, and I do believe they had some more flexible fiberglass rods.

Mine don't bend much at all. I am going to get a new setup for this year.

I bought and used the Soot Eater system this year, and it worked well. No problem with the rods in terms of flexibility.

Gardus soot eater. In the attached pic, I bent a rod into a 180° and secured it with a bungee to demonstrate the flexibility. I clean both of my stoves' flues from the bottom up with this system, and so long as I work from the floor...keeping the drill as low as possible, I have no problem with it. At my age, it sure does beat even thinking about going up my tile roofs. Rick

Attachments

• sooteater2.jpg
    sooteater2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 556
daveswoodhauler said:
Ok, so here I am now with my new 6" brush and 3 foot rutland fiberglass rods.
Since my insert is about flush with the floor, and I think I am going to have the same problem as I did last year with my attempt with 4 foot rods, in that I couldn't bend the rod enought to make an almost 90 degree turn up the liner.
So, I don't want to snap the rod, so realistically how much of a bend can you work these things.
After I make the turn up the liner, its about a 25 foot straight shot to the cap...so this is the only turn I need to make at the bottom.
Just don't want to snap a rod and then call the sweep and have him laugh at me.

Edit: For those wondering why I am cleaning from the bottom up, its about a 35-40' climb up a ladder as the side of the house with the chimney is practically a walk out basement, and have a good family friend that is in a wheelchair due to a fall from a ladder. I ain't going up there...even asked the sweep to go up there last year, and said he didn't have a ladder tall enough

My rods are very stiff and really not made to bend much.. If I was in your situation I'd be looking for another sweep or try to a different side of the house to get on the roof..

Good Luck,
Ray

fossil said:
Gardus soot eater. In the attached pic, I bent a rod into a 180° and secured it with a bungee to demonstrate the flexibility. I clean both of my stoves' flues from the bottom up with this system, and so long as I work from the floor...keeping the drill as low as possible, I have no problem with it. At my age, it sure does beat even thinking about going up my tile roofs. Rick

+1 for the Soot Eater
I clean my flue from the basement and use 36 feet of rods to get to the top of the chimney.
I have used it for 2 years and it does a great job - just go slow and easy.
My days of climbing on the 12 -12 pitch roof are over.

Thing is, you can spend a lot on these different systems until you finally get the one you like!

velvetfoot said:
Thing is, you can spend a lot on these different systems until you finally get the one you like!

Seems to me that's the principal reason folks who are members here bring their questions to these forums before they spend a lot of money. Get some opinions and reports of personal experience. I don't think anyone here is trying to sell anything...just offering to answer the question with what has worked for them. Although I have no data whatsoever to back it up, my gut feeling is that this particular function of these forums (exchanging questions/experiences with different products available) has saved more money for members over the years than it has cost them. Rick

While I totally agree with you, my point was more selfish. So far I've 'invested' in two 'systems'. While the Sooteater seems interesting, I just can't justify it to myself to buy yet another one, something that I use only once a year.

In that case, maybe you could provide some personal insight into what your experience has been with the systems you've tried, rather than simply saying, "Thing is, you can spend a lot on these different systems until you finally get the one you like!"...which, in my mind, is fairly obvious to most all of us, and of little value to the OP. Rick

Hey, Mr. Fossil, all you had to offer was your fancy system.
I admitted I didn't know how much the OP's second set of fiberglass poles could bend before breaking, but that I had success with polypro. rods:

"I don’t have much to add, but the polypro. rods I have (like sprinkler pipe mains), bends 90.
I got them because the fiberglass rods I had wouldn’t bend that much, I felt.
I was in Ace last year, however, and I do believe they had some more flexible fiberglass rods."

Why don't you read the g-dam post before running your mouth?

My apologies, Mr. velvetfoot...you're absolutely right. I'll try to pay closer attention and let go of some of my impulsive tendencies. Approaching a year now since I lost my wife...there are probably times when I should just stay away from the forums, or at least just stay in the background and do my janitorial duties. Again, I'm sorry. Rick

fossil said:
My apologies, Mr. velvetfoot...you're absolutely right. I'll try to pay closer attention and let go of some of my impulsive tendencies. Approaching a year now since I lost my wife...there are probably times when I should just stay away from the forums, or at least just stay in the background and do my janitorial duties. Again, I'm sorry. Rick

*Hands Rick the dust buster*

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
...*Hands Rick the dust buster*...

Thanks, Eileen...I'll go in the back and get busy cleaning up now. :zip: Rick

ETA: And to Dave, the OP, I apologize for whatever role I played in taking your thread off topic...something I'm normally looking to avoid or to correct.

fossil said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
...*Hands Rick the dust buster*...

Thanks, Eileen...I'll go in the back and get busy cleaning up now. :zip: Rick

Ok, then you need a shop vac or some such :) Maybe a broom :p

Where can a guy buy the sooteater? I tried the internet and they all want a ton of $$ for shipping or won't ship to AK.

Thanks for the replies guys.
Velvet, I'll look into the polypro rods...I think last I checked they were very expensive, so will have to search some more
Rick, can you tell me how heigh your chimney is? I'm curious on your setup, as the flex rods will be good at the bottom, but I don't want to much flex at the top when I have 25' of rod up there.

I found the attched link, so it looks like I would need to get 2 of these units.

http://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RCH-205-Chimney-Cleaning-System/dp/B0010H5JXA

fossil said:

Same setup for me - even the drill!

~32' liner with a 2' offset and an offset flue adapter on the insert

The soot eater easily makes the bend into the insert (very small firebox) and up through the offset.

Chimney exits 2' from the ridge on a 2-1/2 story colonial with a 12/12 pitch roof. It's 25' to the soffit on the back side of the house so walking the roof to sweep is not an option that I'll ever exercise!

Thanks Aaron.
Well, looks like I am returning another set of rods and will order the soot eater :)
Hopefully, this will be a setup that will work for me.

Moved to the gear room where folks are more likely to be looking for info on rods and brushes.

fossil said:

Hang in there Rick I remember this like it was yesterday and I forget lots of things.. My dad lost my mom about 5 yrs ago and there isn't a time when I talk to him that her name doesn't come up.. He copes with it and has gotten better only time will make it easier to live with.. Just remember we care about you.

Ray

Yeah it says they won't ship to Alaska when I tried to pay for it. Don't understand that, it's not heavy or big.

daveswoodhauler said:
Thanks for the replies guys.
Velvet, I'll look into the polypro rods...I think last I checked they were very expensive, so will have to search some more
Rick, can you tell me how heigh your chimney is? I'm curious on your setup, as the flex rods will be good at the bottom, but I don't want to much flex at the top when I have 25' of rod up there.

I found the attched link, so it looks like I would need to get 2 of these units.

http://www.amazon.com/Gardus-RCH-205-Chimney-Cleaning-System/dp/B0010H5JXA

Status
Not open for further replies.