How much should you expect to pay for a blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIDGERUNNER30

Feb 7, 2009
Eastern, Kentucky
Hey guys , I order a blower for my stove today and have been wanting to get one for a while ,but the temps had not really got that cold for one ,but the temps are droping fast, I have a country wood stove model 2-260 lecacy so i got in touch with a couple of dealers and got a price check on one, all i can say is i could not believe the price for a freaking fan, $ 280.00 dollars, how much does other stove brands charge for one ?there is nothing cheap about the stove bussiness, I believe most of these companies realize we are trying to get off the grid and quit paying high electric, and gas prices so while they can they are going to put it to you, there is no way it costs that much to make a blower, but what can you do, either buy one or do with out.

I just read over the specs. I think that one is bigger than the one I have. That would explain the lower cost. But that is the type of fan I put on.

Matt

Okay, guys, spill the beans - how did you mount this type of fan? It was my understanding that the 'traditional' stove fans were heat resistant or something like that....

Shari

Most hang under or behind the stove where it's cooler. They most often are off the shelf blower motors. Quiet running and good bearings are probably as important as "heat resistance".

you can see the fan on the left side of my insert in this pic

view002.jpg

Shari said:
Okay, guys, spill the beans - how did you mount this type of fan? It was my understanding that the 'traditional' stove fans were heat resistant or something like that....

Shari

4 sheet metal screws. I used 2 holes the factory gave me and drilled 2. The fan is sitting over the factory hole in the heat shield. The outside of the heat shield really isn't all that hot. Especially for a fan built to cool hot electronics with cool air blowing through it.

Matt

I use the same radio shack fans but two of them. I just got it set up on my lopi answer. I had to grind down a bit to fit under the ash lip. I used cement board for the sides and high temp adhesive. Wired it with a lamp switch. and tada. 165 cfm blower for my stove for under $50. Looks good, is quite. Easily replaceable. You can even buy a thermostat from radioshack to program it to kick on if you want to get fancy.

I think you could even do it cheaper from some internet sites.

t

TriTodd said:
I use the same radio shack fans but two of them. I just got it set up on my lopi answer. I had to grind down a bit to fit under the ash lip. I used cement board for the sides and high temp adhesive. Wired it with a lamp switch. and tada. 165 cfm blower for my stove for under $50. Looks good, is quite. Easily replaceable. You can even buy a thermostat from radioshack to program it to kick on if you want to get fancy.

I think you could even do it cheaper from some internet sites.

t

Todd,

I'm a visual person - got a photo? And a dummy question: Set up to blow air into stove (around a heatshield) or out of stove?

Shari

Blowing into the space. The hot air comes out of the top of the stove.

I dont have a pic now. I will take one when I get home and try to post it.

t

A 600 cfm variable speed fan is standard on the BBF's but from the website it looks like a replacement is $132.00

Status
Not open for further replies.