How much space needed between stacked rows in wood shed?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaise

Jun 4, 2015
Brookeville, MD
Hi everyone! Just had an insert installed and are in the process of building several sheds to store and season wood. We're hoping to be able to hold a little over five cords... which I once would have thought was a lot of wood before getting addicted this forum and discovering how many people keep ten, twenty, or even more cords on hand! I sure wish we had more space.

That aside, below are some pictures of the first shed. Before I finish stacking it the rest of the way, here's my question: I was able to get about four rows in here, but do I need to take one row out so that there's more airflow between the stacks?

On one hand, I want to maximize the space that we have. On the other hand, I also want to make sure it can dry out fairly quickly since we'll only be able to store wood for about a year and a half before using it (i.e. 2.5 cords to burn one winter while the 2.5 cords for the following winter is seasoning). The sheds are unavoidably in a fairly shady area.

Any and all advice appreciated!

IMG_1168.JPG IMG_1169.JPG IMG_1167.JPG

(Side note on these photos: I know it looks a little strange that the top of the shed slopes down toward the opening since it's usually the other way around, but we just didn't want water running towards the fence. Final step will be adding a plywood roof.)

Last edited:
You will probably get a variety of answers but most of us leave 6" between stacks. Going from fresh split to >20% moisture in one year for most hardwood in a shaded area with no space is not going to be easy. I sometimes put a lightweight pallet (the kind with only a few, thin slats) between stacks to keep the stacks from tipping. That would be about 5" but since none of my wood is perfectly cut to length, most of the stacks are about 8" apart.

I have to say with my woodshed fully packed:
fullwoodshed.jpg

The stuff in the middle hardly dries any further.

What I do is dry the wood in the open air and only pack into the shed when it is ready to burn.

Reactions: webby3650
Thanks for the quick responses. Sounds like if I want any hope of it drying in the shed then I'm going to need to space it out much more, which makes sense. I hadn't thought of letting it dry in a single layer out in the open air before packing it in, though. Do you have to put it into the shed before snow season? Would laying it directly on the ground work or would that just rot the wood? We get a lot of rain in the spring/summer, especially this year.

For snow season, just top cover it and let it keep right on drying.

Thanks for the quick responses. Sounds like if I want any hope of it drying in the shed then I'm going to need to space it out much more, which makes sense. I hadn't thought of letting it dry in a single layer out in the open air before packing it in, though. Do you have to put it into the shed before snow season? Would laying it directly on the ground work or would that just rot the wood? We get a lot of rain in the spring/summer, especially this year.
You will want to get it off of the ground somehow. I would just stack it with some room for it to breath, I wouldn't want to move it twice.

I have to say with my woodshed fully packed:
View attachment 159494

The stuff in the middle hardly dries any further.

What I do is dry the wood in the open air and only pack into the shed when it is ready to burn.
I packed mine full of seasoned wood, so I'm not sure how it will dry in the middle. Should be 2 seasons worth, so it'll be a while before I will know.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 247
I packed mine full of seasoned wood,
Ahh .... that's far different than putting freshly split wood into a shed tightly packed. I think if it's already been drying for one year, then probably tightly packed is not a problem. I would guess that most of us are also grabbing wood from the outside first, so the insides get gradually exposed to air as the stack is used.

Ahh .... that's far different than putting freshly split wood into a shed tightly packed. I think if it's already been drying for one year, then probably tightly packed is not a problem. I would guess that most of us are also grabbing wood from the outside first, so the insides get gradually exposed to air as the stack is used.
I know, that's why I didn't put unseasoned wood in it. I don't think it would have the results I want. I've got 6 acres of sun for it to dry on before I load it in the shed.

Have to agree, it won't dry in there green. To me, it doesn't matter what happens to seasoning wood until its ~20ish % , when its is, I put into the wood shed. I need to make room for green room at that point. I have 4 open single row stacks, about 3 of them fit in the shed.

I pack mine tight but I can always get to the wood that has been in there for 3 years due to being open front and back with a divider in the middle. I have plenty of shoulder season wood top covered outside that I use first and then go to the shed when the snow arrives.

Status
Not open for further replies.