How much to tip for log drop?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

twcronin

Oct 18, 2021
Wayland, MA
Hi -- first-time poster here! Just got a free log drop last week from a tree service company, and the truck operator did a really nice job unloading the logs one by one. Probably 5-6 cords of mixed hardwood, mostly maple, logs 8"-24" in diameter, so it was a lot of logs.

Any thoughts about how much to tip the truck operator (or pay the company owner to pass along)?

Thanks!

IMG_5654.JPG

Nothing, you did them a favor as they did not have to pay to dump the wood at your house like they would have at the dump.

20 or 40$ To the driver. He the one not breaking anything on your property or leaving ruts. My thoughts are if it’s a hassle for the driver they will just take a load to their normal drop off. If they know there is $ for them it’s worth the hassle. I gave a guy 20$ for driving his bobcat 4 houses down with 3 loads. He didn’t have too. I was doing the company a favor by taking them not him. No tree service log trucks around here.

I get calls from tree service telling me to come and get wood, all I can haul because their yard is full. Now mine is too.....dang

Reactions: StudlyHogly
I got six loads from work last spring, it was one or two a day, the 1st crew got a $20 to get coffee afterwards, the 2nd guy got a few $10's for coffee to, those guy are our union contractors so they are making a pretty good dollar wage anyway so it was more of a formal approach of being nice.
Private tree guys usually get a $20, but they are also charging $450 a load to. If it was a free drop like what you got I'd prob do a $50 for an employee, a $100 if it was an owner and say let that help cover fuel.

I'd say tip him whatever it's worth to you. I feel conflicted sourcing my wood this way from a tree service because I'm doing this to try and save money, not pay more but because I would appreciate a log drop like this so much I'd feel morally obligated to throw them some money. On the other hand it's definitely just a genuine win/win situation because these guys have more wood than they know what to do with and any extra people willing to take it off their hands can really make their job a whole lot easier.

I doubt they are expecting a tip, if anything it'd be an added bonus. All I'd say is just beware of the tree guys who would expect you to pay them to allow you to come collect rounds off their job sites. I run into that every so often.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
If you want loads and service like that again in the future, I'd tip $20 and a case of the drivers favorite beverage directly to him/her...and maybe a nice note to the owner to let them know you appreciate the excellent service...gotta keep the wheels greased...

Hi -- first-time poster here! Just got a free log drop last week from a tree service company, and the truck operator did a really nice job unloading the logs one by one. Probably 5-6 cords of mixed hardwood, mostly maple, logs 8"-24" in diameter, so it was a lot of logs.

Any thoughts about how much to tip the truck operator (or pay the company owner to pass along)?

Thanks!

View attachment 283549
That's a pretty nice load of loads from a tree service. I would think a 20 or a 50 to the connection that got you hooked up on this deal would be in line. Never hurts to grease the wheels a little.

Reactions: oilstinks
For reference I just got a drop and I'm gonna give the guy $100. He's the owner of the company and I'm one of the only guys he will deliver to (he makes most people come get it themselves) because I take care of him.

It's a little lighter than usual, maybe 1.5+ cords when I usually get 2 ish, but the convenience can't be beat so I'm happy to pay for it. Its all mostly straight, reasonably sized, red oak and red maple which is A+. I'll likely get 2-3 more of these before Spring.

I personally think log drops are the way to go if you aren't harvesting off your own land. Yeah you spend a few hundred bucks a year but you save TONS of time and wear and tear on your body.

20211109_155654.jpg
20211109_155558.jpg
20211110_143338.jpg

Reactions: Solarguy3500