How much Tonnage is enough?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
I'm thinking about biting the bullet and getting a really nice, heavy duty log splitter. So here is my question: How much tonnage is really enough? I see 15 Ton, 20 Ton, 22 Ton, 27 Ton and even 35 Ton log splitters out there. What is the world can say a 22 Ton do that a 15 Ton can't? 30000 lbs of force is pretty substantial if you ask me. Anyone out there with a beast of a splitter(22 ton or greater) and it WOULD NOT SPLIT SOMETHING? Thoughts appreciated...:)

I have a 20 Ton splitter that will not split certain pieces of ELM, Even when they look straight and no knots.

bob

I've only had a few logs that I couldn't split with my 20 ton iron & oak fs. Generally speaking 20 ton is a good splitter, maybe up to a 26 ton, anything higher is over kill in my book unless you run a 4 or 6 way wedge.

I have a 22 ton unit and have not found anything it will not split
Some Elm slows it down sum but hasn't stopped it
A buddy has a 20 Ton and brings me what he can't split mostly
fence line Elm

My 22 huskee will split about anything, I wouldn't go lower tonnage, if you can afford more than I say hey why not.......

Reactions: webfish
My 20 ton Duerr hasn't flinched at anything for the last 28 years.

IMG_0145.jpg

If something looks like it is resisting, I just pulse bust it. Push the wedge in until it slows, let off. Push again. Just like using a maul. Never taken more that three and it is done.

Reactions: TedyOH
20-22 seems to be most folk's consensus around here.

I ended up going to 27 ton . . . mostly because the cost wasn't much more when I purchased my splitter . . . but honestly I think I could have used a 22 ton and been fine.

Yes - I have. Once. It was stuck so bad that I had to wrap a chain around the stump and use the backstroke of the ram to pull it off. And mine is a big boy splitter. This is not to suggest that a lesser tonnage is not perfectly usable. What if your splitting success was at 99.7% successful with a 22 ton unit? Would that not be acceptable? There will always be that "one" if you split enough crazy stuff. I don't think I would base the performance of a splitter off of that "one".

I get into stuff that many would think a little "crazy". That is why I have a big boy. But it is like using a F450 dually for a daily commuter. Its a bit "unnecessary".

I have a 22 ton from tractor supply that has gone through some gnarly rounds without much trouble. Was worth every penny, now i only save red oak for the fiskars.

So what size and species of rounds are you trying to split? A lot of us here get along well with a 5-7-ton electric splitter. Most of what I get is no more than 12-14" dia. but a lot of what I get is very stringy and the splitter handles it fine. There is a member here that splits huge oak rounds with his 5-ton.

Bigger is not always better, it depends on the job, but if you need the big-uns ones, the 22s seem to be the big favorite around here, as Jake said.

Status
Not open for further replies.