How much weight can my car Really Hold? All of it, right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
I saw the thread below on using a mini-van to haul wood. It reminded me of something I saw several years ago and I was able to find it on-line. Check it out.

http://www.allowe.com/Humor/worldchampion.htm

overloadedcarroof.jpg

This picture is real (not doctored in any way) and was taken by a transportation supervisor for a company that delivers building materials for 84 Lumber. When he saw it in the parking lot of an IHOP, he rushed out and bought a camera just to take this picture.

The car is still running, as can be seen by the exhaust. A woman is either asleep or passed out in the front passenger seat. The male driver was jogging up and down Rt. 925 in the background.

Witnesses said their physical state was other than normal. The driver finally returned, and was found by police crouched behind the rear of the car, attempting back to cut the twine around the load! Luckily, the police stopped him before he succeeded and the whole load landed on top of him. Police had the load removed.

The materials were loaded at Home Depot, whose store manager made the customers sign a waiver. While you can imagine the weight of the plywood and 2x4s, what’s not readily apparent is in the back seat: ten 80-pound bags of concrete! Police estimated the entire load weighed at least 3000 pounds.

Both back tires exploded, the wheels bent, and the back shocks were driven up through the floorboard. The car, with Florida license plates, was headed for Annapolis, where the couple presumably planned to build a new house in which to smoke their crack.

Dont try this at home.

Attachments

• Logs In Car 1.jpg
    Logs In Car 1.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 717
  • Logs In Car 2.jpg
    Logs In Car 2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 650
Thistle said:
Dont try this at home.

Looks like scrounge-mobiles.

I can see the Craigslist ad....

Remove this running vehicle from my yard and we will throw in half a cord of firewood. You must show proof of insurance before removing vehicle or wood.

And it ain't no "dictionary" running vehicle, either.

I don't know why, but I find overloaded vehicles to be hilarious. Never gets old.

Worst I've ever seen was a full skid of asphalt shingles on an S-10. It was sad and funny all at the same time.

My good friend Jim, gone and sadly missed now, was a log trucker. I had the enjoyment of riding with him on several occasions. One such time was an example of being over loaded. A two hour trip over the mountain pass near us on a Sunday afternoon, this was to avoid the possibility of seeing too many state troopers. Then loading up with some of the biggest Western Red Cedar logs I had ever seen to that point, 5-6 feet on the butt and 3-4 feet on the small end. So keeping in mind a five log load with the logs switched end for end to fit them on the truck. We head back over the pass without incident, stop in at the scale house to find out how much we had on, in excess of 88,000 pounds of Cedar! This made for being 8000+ over weight. :gulp: The ticket would have been a big one for sure, but there wasn't anyone around so we just kept on movin through the night... He was the original old time logger and trucker not much regard for anyone telling him he could not do something. He would say "the people sayin you can't should get out of your way so you can finish up what you started" That was big Jim! :smirk:

RNLA said:
My good friend Jim, gone and sadly missed now, was a log trucker. I had the enjoyment of riding with him on several occasions. One such time was an example of being over loaded. A two hour trip over the mountain pass near us on a Sunday afternoon, this was to avoid the possibility of seeing too many state troopers. Then loading up with some of the biggest Western Red Cedar logs I had ever seen to that point, 5-6 feet on the butt and 3-4 feet on the small end. So keeping in mind a five log load with the logs switched end for end to fit them on the truck. We head back over the pass without incident, stop in at the scale house to find out how much we had on, in excess of 88,000 pounds of Cedar! This made for being 8000+ over weight. :gulp: The ticket would have been a big one for sure, but there wasn't anyone around so we just kept on movin through the night... He was the original old time logger and trucker not much regard for anyone telling him he could not do something. He would say "the people sayin you can't should get out of your way so you can finish up what you started" That was big Jim! :smirk:

Local county road commission weighmaster got a guy a few years ago moving a monster press out of an auto plant. He thought he was going to make the twenty minute drive to the line and sneak out of state, so he didn't bother getting any overweight permits for Michigan. 405,000 lbs, biggest overweight ticket written in the state.

Kenster said:
I saw the thread below on using a mini-van to haul wood. It reminded me of something I saw several years ago and I was able to find it on-line. Check it out.

http://www.allowe.com/Humor/worldchampion.htm

This picture is real (not doctored in any way) and was taken by a transportation supervisor for a company that delivers building materials for 84 Lumber. When he saw it in the parking lot of an IHOP, he rushed out and bought a camera just to take this picture.

The car is still running, as can be seen by the exhaust. A woman is either asleep or passed out in the front passenger seat. The male driver was jogging up and down Rt. 925 in the background.

Witnesses said their physical state was other than normal. The driver finally returned, and was found by police crouched behind the rear of the car, attempting back to cut the twine around the load! Luckily, the police stopped him before he succeeded and the whole load landed on top of him. Police had the load removed.

The materials were loaded at Home Depot, whose store manager made the customers sign a waiver. While you can imagine the weight of the plywood and 2x4s, what’s not readily apparent is in the back seat: ten 80-pound bags of concrete! Police estimated the entire load weighed at least 3000 pounds.

Both back tires exploded, the wheels bent, and the back shocks were driven up through the floorboard. The car, with Florida license plates, was headed for Annapolis, where the couple presumably planned to build a new house in which to smoke their crack.

That was worth saving the $35 delivery fee :lol:

weatherguy said:
That was worth saving the $35 delivery fee :lol:

Its clear you don't live near the NH border. You could also save at least $50 worth of sales tax on that load if you don't have it delivered in MA... :)

I once spotted a car in my neck of the woods that had a snowmobile parked on top of the roof . . . still kicking myself for not taking a picture of that one . . . although I'm not sure if someone just parked it on the roof to be funny or was seriously contemplating driving around town like that.

All that osb/ply and concrete would be a decent load for even a 3/4 ton truck!

I hauled gravel in my 1 ton last year, went over the scales and was just under 14,000lbs. I never weighed the truck empty, but I'd guess it was right around the 7000lb area.

RNLA said:

88k is really very small "overweight" in the trucking world. It's pretty easy to go over that. Dad has had loads of grain from the field go over 100k before. He still had room in the trailer too... He knew he was pushing his weight limit, but he had no clue he was that far over. It's really hard to judge sometimes, especially with commodities that have a moisture content (wood/grain/etc) where it's hard to fully judge the weight/density of the load.

When I lived in Idaho, many sugar beat farms. Couple times a year there would be a trailer on side of road with the middle resting on the ground. One too many beats I guess... whoops!

Over weight in context, many trucks can carry way more than 80,000. My friends truck was licensed for 80K. Considering the tickets around here are written per thousand pounds over 8000 would have been a big healthy one...

Status
Not open for further replies.