How much wood ( . . can a woodchuck chuck)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sgcsalsero

Feeling the Heat
Mar 15, 2006
ClevelandRocks
Any guesstimates on whats I got . . cord(s) and types wood appreciated. Logger dropped in driveway with grappler, took out
part of my neighbors grass but fortunately a six pack and some Scotts seed mends all.

Thanks

Attachments

• AlexWood20001.JPG
    AlexWood20001.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 557
  • AlexWood0001.JPG
    AlexWood0001.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 518
Logger has 40 yrs. in the biz, he said 2 cords worth, I forgot the rough dimensions are 20' long x 8' wide x 3' high. Dude hasn't charged me yet, it's a half load for him so I guessing $75-80.

My guess would be maple for wood type don't know how much, too spread out to even make a guess

Looks like a big chunk of dead pine on the left, right next to that is a long piece of ash, the cut to length pieces look like silver maple, and all the pieces with the redish center might be black cherry but they may be more of the silver maple too. Thats my guess, and I'd say 3-4 cords between two photos.

You have a bunch of Honey Locust and Ash. A rather large log of Honey Locust also. The ash will be ready to burn as soon as you split it, but the honey locust will take a long time to season out properly. Nowhere anytime soon, maybe not even next year, well, next year if you stack it in a holz-hausen.

2 cords in total, mostly honey locust.

Lignums said:
You have a bunch of Honey Locust and Ash. A rather large log of Honey Locust also. The ash will be ready to burn as soon as you split it, but the honey locust will take a long time to season out properly. Nowhere anytime soon, maybe not even next year, well, next year if you stack it in a holz-hausen.

2 cords in total, mostly honey locust.
Hmm...what I was thinking was silver maple may very well be honey locust, I'm not very familiar with it up here in NH. Its grown as an ornamental, thornless varities typically and seldom do you find specimans large enough to exhibit the bark characteristics of a mature tree, but on-lin searches make that quite plausible and its native to your area. Its a much better fire wood than sliver maple, lucky you!

churchie said:
Logger has 40 yrs. in the biz, he said 2 cords worth, I forgot the rough dimensions are 20' long x 8' wide x 3' high. Dude hasn't charged me yet, it's a half load for him so I guessing $75-80.

A cord of wood is 4' x 8' x 4' or 128 cu. ft. You have 20' x 8' x 3' or 480 cu. in. However, yours is not cut and split.

I just cut bucked up a cord of that Honey Locust last month. It's the first time is years that I have seen any around worth getting. I now live in southwest Ohio, and don't really see too many Honey Locusts around here, (developers have taken many old stands of woods), but down on the family farm I can still find some, but few and far between, and most of those are generally smaller in diameter, not like the one in the picture. Many of the old farmers say it burns extremely well, but don't like to fool with it too much, they say the thorns puncture the tractors tires. I can attest that the thorns have great structural integrity and could probably put a hole in my truck tire if properly lodged in there good enough.

The logger said he'll drop as much Locust, Ash, and Cherry that I want . . Locust is heavy as a @#@$%%%!!

didn't notice any thorns, I just did a wiki on and it said that the thorns were used as nails, yikes

Status
Not open for further replies.