how much wood can an 8 foot bed hold?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rmcfall

Feeling the Heat
Nov 28, 2005
I checked on firewood at a place in town the other day and they sell it on site or deliver it in a dump truck. They said their dump truck is equivalent to 3 full size 8ft truck beds. The wood is not stacked in the truck, but scooped up and dumped in. Anyone know how much wood this is in terms of cord measurements?

Ask them how many cubic yards the dump truck holds. A stacked cord makes up 4.74 cu. yds. so I'm guessing about a cord in a small dump truck.

You get a little over half a full cord in a standard-size pickup bed, thrown in with no sides on the bed.

So my guess would be between 1.5 and 2 full cords.

I checked on the dump truck dimensions-- 7' 10" long, 7' wide, and 4' deep. Wood is scooped in and then humped off at the top. Would this be close to a cord or more?

Also, their wood has been sitting out in the sun all summer, but it isn't stacked or covered. Would this be dry enough by winter? Much of it is oak.

as described the truck holds about 8 cubic yards my guess is loose dumped in 1.5 to 1.75 cords Stacked and heaped 2 cords

Some of the wood the top exposed layers may be dry enough. If you stacked them exposed in the sun the next 3 months even more would be ready for prime time

Status
Not open for further replies.