How much wood could a wood truck haul if a wood truck could haul wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jutt77 said:
wvwoodchuck said:
Make sure your rack has back glass protection for the truck. Trust me. :). Unless you have some unused plexiglass laying around for repairs.

I've seen some trucks advertised with a "headache rack". Is that rear glass protection?

Probably, but not necessarily.

For years I just stood a pallet on end to protect the rear window. Works like a charm, never broke a window. Now I'm just using a cut down sheet of plywood.

Jutt77 said:
wvwoodchuck said:
Make sure your rack has back glass protection for the truck. Trust me. :). Unless you have some unused plexiglass laying around for repairs.

I've seen some trucks advertised with a "headache rack". Is that rear glass protection?

Some headache racks have mesh that protects the rear window and others are more for looks and have just one or two crossbars. I put one one my tacoma that is great for hauling firewood. I can toss splits from ten or fifteen feet away without worrying about breaking the window.
IMG_1252.jpg
IMG_1466.jpg
IMG_1473.jpg

What do guys think of something like this? http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2147443700.html (93' F350 dually; 5.8liter; 10 foot railed bed w/ lift gate...$2500).

Keep in mind, the primary mission of this truck will be for wood hauling. Second would be for moving stuff every once and a while. This will be a third vehicle so gas milelage and practicality dont really matter.

Would insurance costs be higher than a normal truck? Any other disadvantages of something like this y'all can think of?

Thanks for all the replies so far BTW.

~Jutt

trailmaker said:
Jutt77 said:
wvwoodchuck said:

Some headache racks have mesh that protects the rear window and others are more for looks and have just one or two crossbars. I put one one my tacoma that is great for hauling firewood. I can toss splits from ten or fifteen feet away without worrying about breaking the window.
IMG_1252.jpg
IMG_1466.jpg
IMG_1473.jpg

Nice setup TM...I had a 94' 4x4 Yota 10 years ago and that thing was unstoppable. I'm just looking for a full sized beater this time around so that I can carry as much wood as possible on one trip.

Jutt77 said:
What do guys think of something like this? http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/2147443700.html (93' F350 dually; 5.8liter; 10 foot railed bed w/ lift gate...$2500).

Keep in mind, the primary mission of this truck will be for wood hauling. Second would be for moving stuff every once and a while. This will be a third vehicle so gas milelage and practicality dont really matter.

Would insurance costs be higher than a normal truck? Any other disadvantages of something like this y'all can think of?

~Jutt

looks good, and flatbeds are nice - the only thing that would be a dealbreaker for me is that it looks like its not 4wd. where I get wood i definitely need it, but if you don't then it looks like a nice truck. also it doesn't list the mileage so you might want to check on that. that looks like a decent price, although the 2wd trucks always go for less.

FLINT said:
Jutt77 said:

~Jutt

looks good, and flatbeds are nice - the only thing that would be a dealbreaker for me is that it looks like its not 4wd. where I get wood i definitely need it, but if you don't then it looks like a nice truck. also it doesn't list the mileage so you might want to check on that. that looks like a decent price, although the 2wd trucks always go for less.

Fortunately, most of the wood I get is here in town where its totally flat but I would still prefer a 4x4. I grew up in SW Virginia. Do you know where Hanging Rock is? Grew up at the base of Ft Lewis Mtn. My folks still live there. Lots of hills and mountains around there so I would definately get a 4x4. Funny thing about the Denver metro area is that its almost completely flat until you hit the foothills.

Jutt77 said:
FLINT said:
Jutt77 said:

~Jutt

Fortunately, most of the wood I get is here in town where its totally flat but I would still prefer a 4x4. I grew up in SW Virginia. Do you know where Hanging Rock is? Grew up at the base of Ft Lewis Mtn. My folks still live there. Lots of hills and mountains around there so I would definately get a 4x4. Funny thing about the Denver metro area is that its almost completely flat until you hit the foothills.

Yeah, I know that area a little, I have friends from roanoke and at grad school at va tech. I live further north - west of Harrisonburg at the base of shenandoah mountain near West Va. I get a lot of wood from up on the mountain off of forest roads and need 4wd, but I grew up near farmville va in the piedmont, and dad always just had a 2wd truck and it always did just fine.

FLINT said:
Jutt77 said:
FLINT said:
Jutt77 said:

~Jutt

Yeah, I know that area a little, I have friends from roanoke and at grad school at va tech. I live further north - west of Harrisonburg at the base of shenandoah mountain near West Va. I get a lot of wood from up on the mountain off of forest roads and need 4wd, but I grew up near farmville va in the piedmont, and dad always just had a 2wd truck and it always did just fine.

Nice, I used to ski at Massofnothing:) Nice area around there though. I really miss the green forest and unlimited white oak.

I've launched my hang glider off Massanutten and cruised up and down that range. Nice flying there, but so is the Colorado front range.

Jutt77 said:
trailmaker said:
Jutt77 said:
wvwoodchuck said:

IMG_1252.jpg
IMG_1466.jpg
IMG_1473.jpg

Nice setup TM...I had a 94' 4x4 Yota 10 years ago and that thing was unstoppable. I'm just looking for a full sized beater this time around so that I can carry as much wood as possible on one trip.

Thanks. All of my wood gathering is within a couple of miles, and the woods are pretty tight so a small truck works well. If you're looking for a used full sized, you might want to consider one with some type of dump body. Unloading a full size piece by piece must be pretty time consuming.

Here is my wood hauler, 1988 Ford F-250, 6 cylinder. Figure it will haul almost a cord, E tires and just barely levels out with a full load

Attachments

• Everette big load.jpg
    Everette big load.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 518
tfdchief said:
Here is my wood hauler, 1988 Ford F-250, 6 cylinder. Figure it will haul almost a cord, E tires and just barely levels out with a full load

That's exactly what I'm looking for, an older F250/8 ft bed. How long have you had the truck? How has that 6 cylinder done? Any common problems to look out for on those? Thanks much for the pic.

Jutt77 said:
tfdchief said:

That's exactly what I'm looking for, an older F250/8 ft bed. How long have you had the truck? How has that 6 cylinder done? Any common problems to look out for on those? Thanks much for the pic.
Jutt77, Had it 3 years now. It had 150,000 miles on it when I bought it for $1600. I spent about $400 getting it in good mechanical condition. Haven't had a bit of trouble with it since. The 6 cylinder in that year, my mechanic tells me, is an old workhorse that you can't wear out. It is one of the first electronic fuel injection and although the throttle body was messed up when we got it and it burned to rich and choked up when it got up to temperature, as soon as we got that fixed, it runs like a champ, starts in cold weather. The six cylinder of course is no race horse but I don't want to go fast or get to fast quick anyway, so that isn't a problem for me. It has a 4 speed manual transmission with OD. Couple of little things that go wrong with these, that we have fixed, is the ignition sw on the column was shot and so we got a new one ($12.95! in stock at the parts store) and put that in. And the clutch linkage has a plastic sleeve bushing that wore out and you couldn't hardly get the clutch depressed far enough to get the clutch/start sw to engaged so you could start it. We made one and replaced it and now no problem. The only thing it didn't have that I wanted was 4 wheel drive but it was just to good of shape to pass up. It will easily haul all the fire wood you can get in it!

tfdchief said:
Jutt77 said:
tfdchief said:

I was really looking for a F250 with the 300I6 since its such a great engine but its really hard to find in a 4x4 version.

And the winner is.... drum roll.....

1992 F250 4x4, ext cab, 351w, 5spd ZF tranny, new tires, beater but mech solid so I can chuck wood into the bed from 20ft away and not worry about a scratch or dent...best part only $1500 (Craigslist)!

I already put it to work and picked up a load of very seasoned free Elm via CL on Sunday, the rounds had been laying around in the sun for 2 years:) I didn't realize how much I missed having a truck...

F250.jpg

Jutt77 said:
:)

I'm looking at getting an older (late 80's to mid 90's) F250 or F350 for wood hauling and I have a couple of questions.

How much unsplit wood are y'all able to haul in a full size bed?

Has anyone built side walls for the bed rails to increase capacity?

Would a topper be preferred so that you can stack all the way to the highest point of the topper?

I live in Colorado so I'll mostly be hauling dry unsplit pine.

Thanks

You can fill this one up!! (We do). 1997 F250 Turbo diesel 214k miles. Lighter works radio doesn't. What does (Dry) unsplit pine (wood) mean?

Attachments

• Marks wood 1.jpg
    Marks wood 1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1,717
andrewdee, jutt's talking about dead-standing Lodgepole pine. Plenty of it around here. Jutt- that truck looks great, but the bed looks empty, 'was up wid dat? I'm seeing flatbed in your future!

OK, not a F250 but heres a little hauler...

Attachments

• truckloadsmall.jpg
    truckloadsmall.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 618
Jutt77 said:
And the winner is.... drum roll.....

1992 F250 4x4, ext cab, 351w, 5spd ZF tranny, new tires, beater but mech solid so I can chuck wood into the bed from 20ft away and not worry about a scratch or dent...best part only $1500 (Craigslist)!

I already put it to work and picked up a load of very seasoned free Elm via CL on Sunday, the rounds had been laying around in the sun for 2 years:) I didn't realize how much I missed having a truck...

F250.jpg

Dude, that's awesome! perfect wood truck. and an amazing deal. good job putting her to work already !

burntime said:
OK, not a F250 but heres a little hauler...

Nothing wrong with a Ranger. I beat the$#!% out of my '95 for 198K miles. Never had an issue with it. Brakes, oil, plugs, wires, tires, filters was the only money I ever spent.

I hauled many a heavy load in it. I'd guess it was putting 70HP to the ground...not exactly a powerhouse but it got the job done. Get a set of helper springs for it...they work great.

Beetle-Kill said:
andrewdee, jutt's talking about dead-standing Lodgepole pine. Plenty of it around here. Jutt- that truck looks great, but the bed looks empty, 'was up wid dat? I'm seeing flatbed in your future!

I hear ya BK, I may make some free wood runs this weekend and fill that puppy up.

andrewdee said:
Jutt77 said:
:)

I'm looking at getting an older (late 80's to mid 90's) F250 or F350 for wood hauling and I have a couple of questions.

How much unsplit wood are y'all able to haul in a full size bed?

Has anyone built side walls for the bed rails to increase capacity?

Would a topper be preferred so that you can stack all the way to the highest point of the topper?

I live in Colorado so I'll mostly be hauling dry unsplit pine.

Thanks

You can fill this one up!! (We do). 1997 F250 Turbo diesel 214k miles. Lighter works radio doesn't. What does (Dry) unsplit pine (wood) mean?
Now that's a load dude! I like the bed walls you built. what I was trying to say was big pine rounds:)

Well, I figured I give a little update. My F250 (The Beast) has been pulling its weight and has hauled around 5-6 cord so far since March. I've had to do a few minor things (new starter, new shocks, serp belt tensioner) but all in all, its been an awesome truck and parts are dirt cheap. I'd like to build some bed walls eventually since it can hold more wood than the stock bed walls can handle.

Here's a recent, pretty decent sized score of some Ash/Silver Maple using a friend's trailer. We ended up getting around 2 loads worth:
Ash-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.