how much wood did you burn this winter?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 and a half cords.

They said it was the coldest average temp for Jan-Mar. here in CT.

I believe 'em.

Seems like in a normal or cold winter, either one, I burn about 4 cords. Because you can push your stove only so much, I have learned the amount you burn is pretty consistent from year to year.

Good lord! You are the winner so far. That's alot of wood. How much sq/ft are you heating?
Heating roughly half of a 4,500 sq ft Victorian w/10' ceilings, 40+ seven ft windows, etc with no insulation between heated and unheated rooms. We normally burn 8-10 cord but it was an exceptionally cold winter and we were dealing with other negative factors. Our gasification boiler had to be replaced and the new unit takes 24"-26" wood. Our wood was cut for the old unit that used 18" making it a challenge to keep the "nozzle covered, cutting the efficiency substantially. More importantly, for the first time in over 30 years, we didn't have seasoned wood and as anyone can tell you, it takes a whole lot more 30% wood than it does 15% wood.

Still burning, but went through 3.5 cords and will go up to 4 cords . One cord was poplar though. I am going to quit in a fe weeks cause it takes too much wood just to get the boiler and water hot enough to start making heat. It was a mild winter. I have a 2200 sq 2 ranch in eastern Wis.

2.5 - 3 cords for supplemental heat is my guess. I was drawing from stacks in different locations and made an absolute mess of the one at home. I think the re-stacking project is as much or more work than doing it the first time because there are more picked-over uglies that either need resplit or shortened and picked-around hardwoods that need another year mixed in. Looking forward to the Beech, HL and Mulberry I passed over.

Still burning only had about 3 days without a fire since October. About 5 or 6 cord for the year, I don't keep exact measurements. 1500 sq ft drafty 2 story bungalow. 100% wood heat no back up. This was my first year, hoping to cut that down a little next year.

I guess I thought everyone was burning alot more than this. For some reason I was thinking i have read that people were burning 10-12 cords a year.

There are a TON of variables in this one. Heat load, type of burner (& central unit vs. space heater), type of wood, comfort preferences/tolerances, operating procedures, on & on.

We're in a 20 year old 2700 sq.ft. two storey (plus unfinished 1500 in the basement) on an exposed hilltop. I think I have more wood left over this year than others but haven't thought yet about measuring what's left down there. I think we've used between 5 & 6 cords since November - call it 6. A lot of that was windfall spruce I've been working at cleaning up - likely half. That's heating the whole house to as warm as we want it, plus DHW. I am also still burning every day for heat - getting close to skipping days but not there yet, winter just doesn't want to quite give up it seems. Have also not decided yet on whether to burn all summer again for DHW.

Likely the 10-12 figures are those with OWBs, or running multiple stoves in bigger spaces.

EDIT: Add maybe another cord of junk wood to extend back past last summer for DHW to spring of last year - and no other fuels used (oil gone & electric boiler & DHW heater turned off).

'Tween 5 and 5.5. Plus 400 or so gallons of earl. Not very impressive by some measures, but record low oil consumption for me.

2k sq ft ranch, 1960era, will finish up at the 5 cord mark or pretty close about average - only running one stove 24/7 since last Sept/Oct don't really remember when I started. This week 24/7, last week sporadic. Not out of line to be still chasing the chill off into May. NG furnace is set at 65, seldom fires up.

~4.5-5 cords heating 1400sq ft uninsulated 1880 farmhouse, similar area to blades (above). Mostly a mix of ash, elm, boxelder, cherry, bwalnut. Very happy with my T5, great stove. The increased burn times over my old dragon really helped and I'd say I enjoyed playing with the new stove so much I kept the place above 'comfortable' a lot of the time which probably increased my consumption a bit. Furnace was also set at 65F, seldom kicked on.

1 cord of ash
2 tons Ecobricks
5 tons pellets
Somewhere around 2400-3000 sqft, drafty, poorly insulated.

8 cords and still burning

I'm gonna say it'll be about 4 cords before it's all done, and 2.5 tons pellets. Virtually no oil. The wife puts on an elec. resistance heater in bathroom for a little while.

Still burning . . .

I haven't started burning yet, next winter will be my first, but I talked to my dad today who's been burning for as long as i can remember. I asked him how much wood he burned, he told me about 3 cords.

We live in central IL and he heats a 1500 sq/ft house, with full basement ,with a wood stove in the basement and burns mainly hardwoods.

I'm wondering how everyone else did.

What do you use to burn?

Your location?

How much sq/ft are you heating?

How many cords did you burn?
4+ cord
ash, maple, red oak, beech, hickory, etc
New York State
2500 sf

Update still burning - smaller loads once a day to chase chill off - how about 90 gallons of ash worth for the season.

Update still burning - smaller loads once a day to chase chill off - how about 90 gallons of ash worth for the season.
Doing the math, I come up with 2.5% ash. Is that good (I don't know)? My pellets say < .8%, but that's for pellets and in a lab or something. It's amazing to how little volume all that wood is reduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.