How much wood do you guys burn in a week??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hiram Maxim

Minister of Fire
Nov 25, 2007
SE Michigan
I have had my Englander 30 running 24/7 for exactly 1 week today!

Went through a 3'x7' rack of 3 year old Ash wood. Is this good/bad?

Kept house real warm! I know there are many factors but..........

How much wood do you personally go through in an average week????

Thank you, Hiram

My Info:
2116 sq ft home Built in 1954
no isulation in the walls
ceiling is insulated
windows are single pain (original)
South Eastern Michigan
Temp inside 72-73F on average last week

You can't do it by the week. For 24/7 burners it all depends upon the climate, location, type of wood, elevation, size of home, time of year.... yada...yada yada....

Jim Walsh said:
You can't do it by the week. For 24/7 burners it all depends upon the climate, location, type of wood, elevation, size of home, time of year.... yada...yada yada....

I understand that there are many factor (see above post) just trying to get a general Idea/Average of what is consumed each week from members. Just interested!

Thank you, Hiram

Which above post?.. the one that I posted and said you can't do it by the week? Everyone is going to guess-timate how much they will go through this year and past years. I can go through a lot of wood this past week because temps really dropped but by Sunday it is going to be back in the 50's. So what sense does that make? The Northwest maybe a balmy 55* and in Maine -55*.

In your post you don't mention what size home you have ... so where is the comparison?

Good grief Jim, just tell him how much you burn. Holy smokes. Don't have a conniption because he wants to make an apples to oranges comparison.

Hiram

I'm heating 1000 sq. ft. with an Englander 13NC and because of the relatively mild temps in Virginia, I'm burning approximately one 48" log ring per week.

That's 18.84 cu. ft. of wood (and stacked air) per week or approximately 14.7% of a full cord every week (again including air space).

I use a garden cart to haul my wood to my back porch most of the time off the main stack. I went thru 5 carts in 4 days when it was cold here this past week. Now to compare, I would say a pile 7-8 ft wide and 30 inches high or so. That was ash, maple.

Now burning shagbark hickory and its supposed to get into the 60's here tomorrow? :lol:

Shipper

Typically when i burn 24/7 I go through 1 cord a month give or take with my Quad to heat a 2700 sqft house in NJ.

One big wheelbarrow a day when it's 35 or below. Probably 1.25 or 1.5 cords a month.

Hiram, they are right about difference in week to week averages. This particular week as you are well aware has been weird to say the least. A slight thaw and heavy snow followed by some cold days and nights. One night we had below zero for most of the night. Now this weekend and early next week you won't burn much wood at all.

You say a 3' x 7' rack of ash. Ash is good wood and right now that is what we burn for the most part. It is difficult for me to judge how much by the week because of how we use the wood. We stack wood beside the porch once winter sets in so then just carry it from the wood pile at the end of the porch to the stove. I'd be happy to compare with you sometime, preferably when it turns cold again. I could load some in a cart and go by volume. We aren't so far apart to where we could get a decent comparison. You live in SE MI and I live about 50 miles West and some North of Flint.

Backwoods Savage said:
Hiram, they are right about difference in week to week averages. This particular week as you are well aware has been weird to say the least. A slight thaw and heavy snow followed by some cold days and nights. One night we had below zero for most of the night. Now this weekend and early next week you won't burn much wood at all.

You say a 3' x 7' rack of ash. Ash is good wood and right now that is what we burn for the most part. It is difficult for me to judge how much by the week because of how we use the wood. We stack wood beside the porch once winter sets in so then just carry it from the wood pile at the end of the porch to the stove. I'd be happy to compare with you sometime, preferably when it turns cold again. I could load some in a cart and go by volume. We aren't so far apart to where we could get a decent comparison. You live in SE MI and I live about 50 miles West and some North of Flint.

Dennis,

I would certainly like to do a comparison with you! I'm just about 7 miles Southwest of Pontiac!

One of the reasons I wanted to get an general idea is that I have a ruptured disk in my lower back, a herniated disk and 2 bulged
disks in my neck, so I have to rely/plan on others "sometimes" to bring in my wood.

I'm going to make some more wheeled racks 4'x8' (face cord) so that if wood is delivered/taken from the wood pile, I can get an accurate count and transfer it into the garage/shop from the driveway. The one in the picture is 3'x7' wheeled rack.
The un-wheeled rack next to the stove is 3'x8' and the smaller one with no wood is 3'x4'......
Thank you,Hiram

Attachments

• fire wood rack 003.jpg
    fire wood rack 003.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 439
  • wood stove running 006.jpg
    wood stove running 006.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 459
Last year, a little more than a cord a month. This in an 1800 sq ft old Victorian, mostly insulated but still has its drafty moments, and in a climate that can vary from teens to sub zero, to balmy like today (60 degree and T shirt weather). Average single digits to teens at night, and 20s to 30s during the day usually.

This year, a little less than a cord a month now that I have better techniques with my stove, wood, etc. And this includes a long cold stretch with no break where I would have gone through more wood last year than over a cord during this longer cold period.

Hiram Maxim said:
I have had my Englander 30 running 24/7 for exactly 1 week today!

Went through a 3'x7' rack of 3 year old Ash wood. Is this good/bad?

Kept house real warm! I know there are many factors but..........

How much wood do you personally go through in an average week????

Thank you, Hiram

My Info:
2116 sq ft home Built in 1954
no isulation in the walls
ceiling is insulated
windows are single pain (original)
South Eastern Michigan
Temp inside 72-73F on average last week

Hiram Maxim said:
Dennis,

I would certainly like to do a comparison with you! I'm just about 7 miles Southwest of Pontiac!

One of the reasons I wanted to get an general idea is that I have a ruptured disk in my lower back, a herniated disk and 2 bulged
disks in my neck, so I have to rely/plan on others "sometimes" to bring in my wood.

I'm going to make some more wheeled racks 4'x8' (face cord) so that if wood is delivered/taken from the wood pile, I can get an accurate count and transfer it into the garage/shop from the driveway. The one in the picture is 3'x7' wheeled rack.
Thank you,Hiram

PM sent.

It's a little hard to judge the size of your woodrack in the picture, but I probably go through about the same amount with my 30, and the house is toasty warm! Maybe a little less. Like I said, it's a bit hard to tell.

The weather here in Co. has been on again off again, we have seen some single digit temp's at night but mostly teen's and 20's at night. We have gone through about a cord so far, 2/3's cottonwood and pine and 1/3 hardwood, the furnace has been turned off all winter and we're heating 1000 sq. ft. house.

I have a 2700sf stone house, I burn one stove and one insert right now and so far this year I've been averaging about 1.5cord a month. december was very mild for the most part only got below zero a few times and mostly stayed in the mid to upper 20's so I only burnt about a cord.

I have a wood rack next to the stove. I made it exactly .1 full cord so I can keep track. I've been burning 24/7 since Mid Nov and have gone through 14 racks. Coming up on 1.5 cords burned so far. When its real cold the rack will last 3-4 days.

Hey Hiram; I come from the East.....
If you look at the wood racks in my Avatar, they are 39 inches diameter: there are two, one in front of the other. On a cold week, I go through 1.5 of them. It takes about 2.5 large wheelbarrels to fill each. I would say they hold, 36x36x36 so that's about 1/4 cord more or less and of that I'm using about 1/5 Cord on a cold week.
A cold week is like last week here temps between 0 and 25 over the course of the day/night. The house is superinsulated.
Hope this helps Bro.....

cmonSTART said:
It's a little hard to judge the size of your woodrack in the picture, but I probably go through about the same amount with my 30, and the house is toasty warm! Maybe a little less. Like I said, it's a bit hard to tell.

One with wheels 3'x7'!! (the empty one)
The one next to the stove is 3'x8' (full one)
Next to the stove empty is 3'x4'

Thank you,Hiram

I use about a wheel barrow full a day also
you have about 1/2 cord in the house if your wood is 17" long should last a couple weeks

I think its pretty typical that people burn around 4 to 5 cords a year. If you burn close to 24/7 and burn during the shoulder seasons I think you typically use about 3/4 of that in the mid December through mid March time period. I start with a fire or two as early as the end of September and may have the last spring fire at the end of April. I burn 24/7 from about end of October to early April. One of the things I love about heating with wood is your need to work in tune with weather. It keeps you connected to the natural world since your wood needs in mild weather are so different from your needs in very cold weather.

jpl1nh said:
I think its pretty typical that people burn around 4 to 5 cords a year. If you burn close to 24/7 and burn during the shoulder seasons I think you typically use about 3/4 of that in the mid December through mid March time period. I start with a fire or two as early as the end of September and may have the last spring fire at the end of April. I burn 24/7 from about end of October to early April. One of the things I love about heating with wood is your need to work in tune with weather. It keeps you connected to the natural world since your wood needs in mild weather are so different from your needs in very cold weather.

Thats certainly a good way to look at it!

Just went and did a wood inventory and I should make it through this year.....I hope!

I want to thank everyone for their info and knowledge! :)

Cheers, Hiram Maxim

I don't know how much wood I go through a week. Since the season started, late Oct or early November, I've gone through about a face of odds and then 1 1/2 face cords of regularly stacked wood. I don't burn 24 hours due to stove size and not being home to reload. I burn from around 5pm to 11am? when the coals peter out every day? The stove has some residual heat when I start it up again.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.