How much wood do you still have left?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I need to cover my wood stacks with something other than plastic tarps. If I may ask, what size and thickness are you using and where did you get them?

The take-offs were in larger rolls. I cut them down to about 2 - 2.5' widths and varying lengths. Some of what I have are some decently thick normal rubber roofing and some are thinner fiberglass (?) reinforced stuff. I got them from a local rubber roofing contractor for a very good price. I'd just look around your area for a roofing company who specializes in replacing rubber roofs, as I'm sure they will have take-off's.

Reactions: MoDoug
On the same note I'm considering doing something like that with the rubber roofing. I have plans to make 4 x lean-to roof structures to cover all my wood but with the cost of lumber right now I'm hesitant. It's $9.50 for a 2x4x8 here! Screw that. I can wait a year or two when that normalizes.

On the same note I'm considering doing something like that with the rubber roofing. I have plans to make 4 x lean-to roof structures to cover all my wood but with the cost of lumber right now I'm hesitant. It's $9.50 for a 2x4x8 here! Screw that. I can wait a year or two when that normalizes.
If I remember right we have similar wood racks. The cost of lumber is ridiculous. When I built my new racks last December I bought the wood and cinder blocks from the local lumber yard. When I got home and stunned from the price, I compared the same cost from Menards and it was a $130 difference. I returned everything and bought from Menards. I'm a firm believer in buying local, but a $130 difference is too much, especially for what little I got.

I'd be curious as to what you end up doing to top cover.

I believe we do, cinder block and 2x4 design. I've attached the original plans for my roofing I designed with the help of Mcdougy. Its obviously not to building code but its just a lean-to and will last forever. Each roof will cover 2 cords and I intend to build 4 of these along the back edge of my yard. It will allow me to store 8 cords with a very small footprint in my yard vs a big wood shed.

The issue though as you can see is that I need a good amount of lumber. With current pricing I think each one will cost approximately $250-300 which is ridiculous....it should cost $150 so I'm just going to wait. I'm either going to suck it up with another season of tarps (ugh) or look into local rubber roofing companies like suggested above and hunt for scraps. I might build ONE of the roofs for the stack I plan to use this coming season but we'll see how the prices look when the ground firms up this summer. Can't build now anyways were just entering mud season.

20210227_215641.jpg
20210227_215654.jpg

I believe we do, cinder block and 2x4 design. I've attached the original plans for my roofing I designed with the help of Mcdougy. Its obviously not to building code but its just a lean-to and will last forever. Each roof will cover 2 cords and I intend to build 4 of these along the back edge of my yard. It will allow me to store 8 cords with a very small footprint in my yard vs a big wood shed.

The issue though as you can see is that I need a good amount of lumber. With current pricing I think each one will cost approximately $250-300 which is ridiculous....it should cost $150 so I'm just going to wait. I'm either going to suck it up with another season of tarps (ugh) or look into local rubber roofing companies like suggested above and hunt for scraps. I might build ONE of the roofs for the stack I plan to use this coming season but we'll see how the prices look when the ground firms up this summer. Can't build now anyways were just entering mud season.
Those are good plans, and you're young enough to where you will need a good long term solution. Hopefully prices settle back down and you can get it done. As @JRHAWK9 suggested, I do know a roofer, next time I see him I will ask about left over material.

Something like this from Menards, ideally used would be great, but even if I bought this new, I could cut it to the width I need and cover the majority of my wood racks. Rubber roof material

Last edited: