How much wood do you think this is?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mnowaczyk

Feeling the Heat
Feb 19, 2009
Delaware
Second delivery from this guy arrived today. It looks smaller than the last "cord". It's not much drier as the guy had promised. Maybe it will be better next year.

How much wood do you think this is? A full cord? I can update after it's stacked.

Attachments

• IMG00152-edit.jpg
    IMG00152-edit.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 453
from an eyeball view, I would say you have 3/4's of a cord there....look to be big splits too

DelBurner said:
Second delivery from this guy arrived today. It looks smaller than the last "cord". It's not much drier as the guy had promised. Maybe it will be better next year.

How much wood do you think this is? A full cord? I can update after it's stacked.

Stack it and find out. Should take you 30-45 minutes at the most.

1/2 cord is my guess.

Looks like a typical pickup truck load, which I read someplace is usually about 1/2 a cord.

Pile looks pretty sprawling to me, it "could" be close to a cord. Pictures are always hard to tell, the pile always looks smaller, can you take a side view picture? What was it delivered with?

I would find a new wood guy IMHO.
It looks like large splits and some junk and slab wood mixed in. How much does he charge? If it was cheap then you might be OK but it does not look like a cord to me.

Welp... In my possibly ignorant view I'd call it a cord. I do think I got more with the last load though... which was my first delivery.

I think this is about 16' x 5' x 1.5' (average). That's 120 Cubic Feet right? Not the 4x4x8=128 that a cord should be, right?Well I did burn about 8 pieces before stacking.

Lots of splits are two feet, but several are only 1 foot. I'm guessing the average is 18".

I started stacking as tight as possible, but I only have so much patience to stack something that I will just be unstacking or burning soon anyway.

Attachments

• IMG00156.jpg
    IMG00156.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 322
  • IMG00157.jpg
    IMG00157.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 316
DelBurner said:
Welp... In my possibly ignorant view I'd call it a cord. I do think I got more with the last load though... which was my first delivery.

I think this is about 16' x 5' x 1.5' (average). That's 120 Cubic Feet right? Not the 4x4x8=128 that a cord should be, right?Well I did burn about 8 pieces before stacking.

Lots of splits are two feet, but several are only 1 foot. I'm guessing the average is 18".

I started stacking as tight as possible, but I only have so much patience to stack something that I will just be unstacking or burning soon anyway.

thats pretty darn close.

I was gonna say a cord. I had "2 cords" delivered to me that were not much more than that...Ended up being a cord and a third of FRESH cut (a week maybe) wood. I was pissed. Live and learn.

Corriewf said:
I was gonna say a cord. I had "2 cords" delivered to me that were not much more than that...Ended up being a cord and a third of FRESH cut (a week maybe) wood. I was pissed. Live and learn.

Sounds like you will be doing a lot of seasoning this summer. Ouch.

I don't know if you can see the sideways picture, but I'm probably going to have two or more cords drying up on that left side of my garage this summer too. It will require restacking, but I wonder if I can fit three or more. I guess the more wood I put up there, the less air it will get. It's already restricted by being right between two garages.

I thought I was learning how to burn wood, not season it! :)

DelBurner said:
Corriewf said:

Sounds like you will be doing a lot of seasoning this summer. Ouch.

I don't know if you can see the sideways picture, but I'm probably going to have two or more cords drying up on that left side of my garage this summer too. It will require restacking, but I wonder if I can fit three or more. I guess the more wood I put up there, the less air it will get. It's already restricted by being right between two garages.

I thought I was learning how to burn wood, not season it! :)

Yeah, I will have to wait till next year. That pissed me off enough to buy myself a chainsaw and start looking for wood on craigs list. I have about a half cord of maple and probably a cord of poplar along with those "2 cords" for next year already. Answered an ad on craigs list yesterday for a a downed gum and oak.. I have learned my lesson. It's a bit of work but fun work and saves me money. :)

I think you should not have any problem with more wood on the side. I hope it is not right up against the house though.

Status
Not open for further replies.