How much wood does your Vermont casting vigilant burn ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

94ranger55

Sep 11, 2008
New Hampshire SeaCoast
I have a awesome old VC vig , this stove has been very reliable and throws off great heat ! My question is how many cords do you guys burn in it?

I live in northern New England in a average size ranch home , I burn aprox 6 cords per yer . I am also wondering if a gasket rebuild kit would to make the stove more efficient/ reducing wood burned ?!
I noticed at the tail end of buring season last year the top loading door gasket seemed to be getting a little tired .

Thanks !

Given the age of the stove I would say for sure to replacing all gaskets. Also, take the stove outdoors, vacuum out thoroughly, then take an air gun and blow out all the passages as best as possible. The secondaries get plugged with ash and that can affect performance. Also check the bypass damper and make sure the mechanism is working well and that it has not warped. Mod Defiant here knows these stoves well.

I heat 2200 open floor pan area in the buffalo area.

I keep it at 65-70 all winter.

I have been using 6-8 face cords a year, tho that's decreasing as I become accustomed to using the stove. Last year I used 5

Status
Not open for further replies.