How much wood does your Vermont casting vigilant burn ?

94ranger55 Posted By 94ranger55, Sep 16, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 94ranger55

94ranger55
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 11, 2008
    Loc:
    New Hampshire SeaCoast
    I have a awesome old VC vig , this stove has been very reliable and throws off great heat ! My question is how many cords do you guys burn in it?

I live in northern New England in a average size ranch home , I burn aprox 6 cords per yer . I am also wondering if a gasket rebuild kit would to make the stove more efficient/ reducing wood burned ?!
    I noticed at the tail end of buring season last year the top loading door gasket seemed to be getting a little tired .

Thanks !

2. begreen

begreen
    Mooderator 2.
    NULL

Staff Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Given the age of the stove I would say for sure to replacing all gaskets. Also, take the stove outdoors, vacuum out thoroughly, then take an air gun and blow out all the passages as best as possible. The secondaries get plugged with ash and that can affect performance. Also check the bypass damper and make sure the mechanism is working well and that it has not warped. Mod Defiant here knows these stoves well.

3. 94ranger55

94ranger55
    Member 2.
    NULL

Sep 11, 2008
    Loc:
    New Hampshire SeaCoast
    I already replaced the gaskets once about 4 years ago but ( via VC oem gasket kit ) but they already seem to be getting tired. Thanks for the tip about the baffel cleaning !!!

4. Ducky

Ducky
    Member 2.
    NULL

Nov 4, 2010
    Loc:
    Buffalo, NY
    I heat 2200 open floor pan area in the buffalo area.

I keep it at 65-70 all winter.

I have been using 6-8 face cords a year, tho that's decreasing as I become accustomed to using the stove. Last year I used 5

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.