How much wood fits in a P/U

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanningjw

Minister of Fire
Oct 15, 2008
Plymouth, Minnesota
I am running out of wood. I can buy some from a guy that is selling. I said that I have a 8' bed on my chev 1500. He thinks it will hold one half of a cord.... I said no way, all it will hold is 1/3rd of a cord. This is just a normal 8' bed w/o any way to stack it higher..... Please advise, Jim

1/2 cord should not be a problem.

If you stack it, it is the same footprint as a sheet of plywood, then 2 ft tall.

An 8 foot bed will hold a 1/2 cord if you stack it very carefully. If you just toss it in then 1/3 cord at best.

PNWBurner said:
An 8 foot bed will hold a 1/2 cord if you stack it very carefully. If you just toss it in then 1/3 cord at best.

I dont think it is a room issue with the 1/2 tons its more about the spring load I can get a 1/2 cord in a 1/2 ton just by tossing it in just watch the bed for overloading some are older and have worn out leaf springs.

smokinjay said:
just watch the bed for overloading some are older and have worn out leaf springs.

reminds me of my buddies old S15 that we stacked to the top of the cab and then drove out of the fields...luckily the wheel wells and bed were gone far enough that the tires didn't rub.

I have been selling firewood for years now. I have an F-250 and if I stack the wood in it about 2" inches higher than the sides of the box the full 8 feet that works out to be exactly two face ford. Now if I throw the wood it, to get two face cord I have to really really heap it to get it in. I just figured out the cubic feet of a face cord and then figured the cubic feet of my box, then adjusted stacking it 2" higher than the bed rails to get the amount right.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
just watch the bed for overloading some are older and have worn out leaf springs.

reminds me of my buddies old S15 that we stacked to the top of the cab and then drove out of the fields...luckily the wheel wells and bed were gone far enough that the tires didn't rub.

Thats what I use 1993 with a 4x8x3 trailer I can do a cord with it.lol its hard to believe until you see it loaded.

I'll bet you can fit a 1/2 cord in an 8' bed.

I have an '85 nissan 720 4x4 with a 6' bed and I'm sure I can fit 1/3 cord in that. that old truck has some good springs - it sags way less loaded than my friends newer toyota truck.

Is he worried about the weight or amount? If he has an 8' bed he can get 2/3 of a full cord, as long as everyone is on the same page of 3 face cord to 1 full cord. If its weight, yeah some trucks you might not want to load'em up that heavy.

Ok, thanks for the info on that on loading the 8' box. Seems that I could load it with 1/2 a cord.....How much does a cord of seasoned ash, ironwood and maple weight in at? I think the 94 Chev 1500 can handle the load? I got 16 miles of back roads from the farm back to my house.

I had no idea that the box would hold that 1/2 a cord with the wheel wells and that. I mean I dont want the splits falling on the road so I dont think I will overload the truck. This is wood that he has covered on pallets. he said its dried 2 seasons and was dead fall. Said he just loves cutting wood and splitting it, has way more than he will ever need. I believe him. He not gonna be there when I pick up. He said "you take care of me and I'll take care of you". I guess he trusts me not to take to much. I am paying $75 for a pick up load. I will not over load and break my truck. He said to just give the money to his daughter. He is going to Florida for the weekend....

is it better to load the bed e/w or n/s?

Lanning said:
Ok, thanks for the info on that on loading the 8' box. Seems that I could load it with 1/2 a cord.....How much does a cord of seasoned ash, ironwood and maple weight in at? I think the 94 Chev 1500 can handle the load? I got 16 miles of back roads from the farm back to my house.

I had no idea that the box would hold that 1/2 a cord with the wheel wells and that. I mean I dont want the splits falling on the road so I dont think I will overload the truck. This is wood that he has covered on pallets. he said its dried 2 seasons and was dead fall. Said he just loves cutting wood and splitting it, has way more than he will ever need. I believe him. He not gonna be there when I pick up. He said "you take care of me and I'll take care of you". I guess he trusts me not to take to much. I am paying $75 for a pick up load. I will not over load and break my truck. He said to just give the money to his daughter. He is going to Florida for the weekend....

it will be heap up but no issue's if your careful when loading and drive a little slower than normal.

Lanning said:
I am running out of wood. I can buy some from a guy that is selling. I said that I have a 8' bed on my chev 1500. He thinks it will hold one half of a cord.... I said no way, all it will hold is 1/3rd of a cord. This is just a normal 8' bed w/o any way to stack it higher..... Please advise, Jim
I don't know for sure about an 8' Chevy bed, but an F150 short bed holds 1/3 of a cord tossed in ($50 here). So, it will hold more than that, and even more if you stack it.

Lanning said:

If they're bucked at 16" then you can get three rows across in the bed (E-W I guess). Otherwise you might need to go the other way. On the other hand it sounds like maybe you don't want to clean the guy out for $75? That way you can come back for more if it's nice.

I've carried a 1/2 cord in my old F250, take it easy and you should be fine. You'll notice the extra weight for sure...

you will not overload and break your truck.

i usually just watch my springs and keep the bumpstops up off the frame a little

ash, ironwood, and maple are all pretty light when dry, so I don't think you will come close to overloading your truck.

I've loaded my old nissan to the gills with green locust and that stuff is heavy.

boisblancboy said:
Is he worried about the weight or amount? If he has an 8' bed he can get 2/3 of a full cord, as long as everyone is on the same page of 3 face cord to 1 full cord. If its weight, yeah some trucks you might not want to load'em up that heavy.

Not only are we not on the same page . . .it's a different book!

You can't make any of the calculations you claim without making some assumptions about length. Once you do that, why even quote it in Gurly cords anyway??

smokinjay said:
I dont think it is a room issue with the 1/2 tons its more about the spring load I can get a 1/2 cord in a 1/2 ton just by tossing it in just watch the bed for overloading some are older and have worn out leaf springs.
I saw some poor old guy with an old truck and a huge impressive pile of firewood in the bed, the axle was just cracked right in half and there he was in the middle of the road, heartbreaking. VERY old truck, not saying this would happen to you!

tickbitty said:
smokinjay said:
I saw some poor old guy with an old truck and a huge impressive pile of firewood in the bed, the axle was just cracked right in half and there he was in the middle of the road, heartbreaking. VERY old truck, not saying this would happen to you!

thats why you want to watch the load and how it is sitting I have sold 20 some pick up loads and your right it is the old one's that can break them.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
boisblancboy said:

Not only are we not on the same page . . .it's a different book!

You can't make any of the calculations you claim without making some assumptions about length. Once you do that, why even quote it in Gurly cords anyway??

He just did, if it takes 3 face cords to a cord he claimed its 2/3 of a cord. I load a face cord to a half cord in a ranger with leaf helpers and drive it careful. A full size with helpers should be able to take it if your careful...

If the guy lets you load it any way you want and you both don't mind, you can get a bit more than 1/2 cord in a full-sized truck bed. Loaded it myself and then came home and stacked it tight on numerous occasions, and I was always over 1/2. You can lay down a layer or two and then stand some up on top of that on the perimeter with the ends protruding above the top of the sides about 8" and probably get 2/3 cord with some careful mounding in the center. Gotten away with that a few times, but the dirty looks from the seller weren't worth it. No green oak with a load like that if you love your truck.

are you sure it's seasoned? A lot of these numbers people are throwing around might not be valid if you are getting green wood. I mean, if you think you are gonna fit 1/2 a cord of green oak in your 1/2 ton pickup, then you might have a rude awakening (at least I wouldn't feel safe trying that)

edit: i reread your post about how the wood is seasoned for two years and was dead when harvested. sorry 'bout that. FWIW your payload is probably in the 1500 range, so considering the information posted in the next post (about a loaded ranger) you should be able to hold about 500 more lbs than he can.

Bull.

You're truck is/was overloaded and unsafe.

Yeah you can stop, with alot of time. If you are lucky.

Picture an F250 pulling a 3 horse slant (loaded) , and the traffic just stops on the Jersey Turnpike. Talk about sweat, and praying.

What happens when some asshat pulls out in front of you, and proceeds to crawl at 30 mph? You are screwed. And totally responsible for what happens.

It's not worth it. I don't care how much wood you get.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Bull.

You're truck is/was overloaded and unsafe.

Yeah you can stop, with alot of time. If you are lucky.

Picture an F250 pulling a 3 horse slant (loaded) , and the traffic just stops on the Jersey Turnpike. Talk about sweat, and praying.

What happens when some asshat pulls out in front of you, and proceeds to crawl at 30 mph? You are screwed. And totally responsible for what happens.

It's not worth it. I don't care how much wood you get.

So... did you pull that horse trailer you are speaking of?

For the record, I don't know about "burntime", but I've never been on the Jersey Turnpike while hauling a truck load of wood (although I've been on the Taconic Parkway with a four-horse trailer). When hauling wood, (or loaded with 100 pound sacks of grain way back in my horse days) I always went about 30 MPH max, kept a very safe stopping distance behind the vehicle in front of me and drove with my four-way flashers on. Real slow over bumps and railroad crossings as well.

For the record, exactly how big of a load would be safe in that truck?

Status
Not open for further replies.