How much wood fits in a P/U

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes a 8" bed truck will hold 1/2 cord 4x8x2 loaded a couple inches over the side rail height. With seasoned wood should be ok on weight. If you intend to do this often a trip to the local spring shop might be in order.
When loading go with the splits in the bed length wise , if you lay them sideways they will tend to want to roll out over the tailgate and that's never a good thing.

Battenkiller said:
Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Bull.

You're truck is/was overloaded and unsafe.

Yeah you can stop, with alot of time. If you are lucky.

Picture an F250 pulling a 3 horse slant (loaded) , and the traffic just stops on the Jersey Turnpike. Talk about sweat, and praying.

What happens when some asshat pulls out in front of you, and proceeds to crawl at 30 mph? You are screwed. And totally responsible for what happens.

It's not worth it. I don't care how much wood you get.

So... did you pull that horse trailer you are speaking of?

For the record, I don't know about "burntime", but I've never been on the Jersey Turnpike while hauling a truck load of wood (although I've been on the Taconic Parkway with a four-horse trailer). When hauling wood, (or loaded with 100 pound sacks of grain way back in my horse days) I always went about 30 MPH max, kept a very safe stopping distance behind the vehicle in front of me and drove with my four-way flashers on. Real slow over bumps and railroad crossings as well.

For the record, exactly how big of a load would be safe in that truck?

Did I ? Yes.

Were we praying? You betcha.

An over load isn't worth it.

Thats why you take it slow and steady and not during rush hour. Is it overloaded, sure. Just slow and steady. Have done probably 50 loads that way if not 60 by now. Its not that you do it on the way home from work daily. Works for me. I actually have had people pull out cuse they do not want to wait. Its never been an issue because I watch. Is it possible some moron can sneak out, of course. Just use extra caution. I just don't have a use for a f250 to haul wood. If I did it would be great...but just not worth it to me.

Thanks boys for all the great responses to this thread. What a great group of guys! I am gonna go over and load up after work today. I am not gonna over load and take to much wood for $75. This guy was really nice to me on the phone and trusts people. I would like to learn to trust me. I would like to go back and cut some wood with him and make friends.
I think it more important to keep honest and have good karma with a guy that has spent time cutting splitting and stacking. I know how much time he has spent doing this.

If you ever want to move a bunch of wood in a day and not overload your truck, UHaul rents a 6x12 open trailer for 30 or 40 bucks a day unlimited mileage with surge brakes on both axles. It has a nice low deck and you can load all those things in it you shouldn't do to your truck: green Oak, gravel, concrete block, etc. It even works in a pinch for a small skid steer or tractor.

SolarAndWood said:
If you ever want to move a bunch of wood in a day and not overload your truck, UHaul rents a 6x12 open trailer for 30 or 40 bucks a day unlimited mileage with surge brakes on both axles. It has a nice low deck and you can load all those things in it you shouldn't do to your truck: green Oak, gravel, concrete block, etc. It even works in a pinch for a small skid steer or tractor.

Must have a 6,000 axel?

With reasonably dry wood, I can stack about a face cord in the bed of a narrow-bed Ford Ranger with a beefed up suspension package. Green wood--more like 1/4 of a full cord. And yes, I drive slow and carefully.

Lanning said:
SolarAndWood said:

Must have a 6,000 axel?

tandem axle trailer with surge brakes so you don't even need a controller in your truck.

SolarAndWood said:
Lanning said:
SolarAndWood said:

Must have a 6,000 axel?

tandem axle trailer with surge brakes so you don't even need a controller in your truck.
max load "1915lbs" from http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=opentrailer-6x12

waste of time, IMO.

Danno77 said:
SolarAndWood said:
Lanning said:
SolarAndWood said:

Must have a 6,000 axel?

max load "1915lbs" from http://www.uhaul.com/guide/index.aspx?equipment=opentrailer-6x12

waste of time, IMO.

Yep, must have those 1800 lb axles all the trailer makers are using these days. I don't think I have ever hear of a utility trailer that can only barely haul its own weight?

They do the same thing with their car trailers. Most utility trailers seem to carry at least 3 to 4 times their weight. And that is a rugged bult for rental trailer. It didn't even sag into the suspension when I put a Bobcat in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.