1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

How much wood have you burned this year?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Backwoods Savage, Mar 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    First, my apology. Someone asked how much wood I've burned this year but I had not figured it yet and I posted that I would try to answer today or tomorrow. Now I'm having a senior moment and can't find that post. lol

I just figured ours and we've burned 2 3/4 cords so far.

Last year we burned 2.95 cords total but the heating season did not end until May.

Not sure when it will end this year but I don't expect we'll use too much in April and hopefully none in May. Time will tell on that one. We have had fires every night and most days we will keep it going in the mornings. Afternoons have been too warm for fire lately.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hogwildz

Hogwildz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Next to nuke plant Berwick, PA.
    about 5 cords between mid to end of October to a last week. This winter here was a bit colder than usual.
  3. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    I'm on my target of 3. And I'll just make it through my first year.

I used quite a bit learning the stove in thte fall, which I now realize used alot of wood. Next season, I'll be ready .
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Around two cords of oak and a cord of pine so far. Stove is burning right now so who knows how it ends up. I should have five cords of oak left for the future.

I am going to whack nothing but pine trees this spring and use oak for night burns from now on if the pine dries in time.
  5. stejus

stejus Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central MA
    Started burning Jan 1 and about 2.5 cords and just about out.
  6. rphurley

rphurley Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central/Eastern CT
    I'm at around 4 cords or so in my first year of burning. Looking good for the next two years with plenty of Oak and Hickory already seasoning since last spring and some random Ash, Maple and Pine that I've been able to scrounge.
  7. adrpga498

adrpga498 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Just a little over 4 cords. The 1st cord was a lot of ugly junk wood in the fall. I could have waited a bit longer to start burning, but what the heck I always look forward to burning and since I had junk to burn I started about mid October.
  8. mpilihp

mpilihp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coastal ME
    Hi we have a conventional wood boiler and we went through almost 10 cord, still heating too. Kept the house a balming 75-80 a times just the way my wife likes it. We cut off our own land. This also included heating our DHW.

~ Phil
  9. rphurley

rphurley Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central/Eastern CT
    Wood boiler and your own land to cut from, makes me pretty jealous Phil!
  10. burntime

burntime New Member

Loc:
    C'mon hunting season!
    I would say 4.5 cord in here in Wisconsin. I have 3 cord of stacked and split oak for next year and need to get going for another cord and a half yet. THis year I burned some of the softer hardwoods and it does not compare to oak ash and hickory. If I just run the good stuff I bet I could get by with 4 on an average winter. This winter was colder then normal...I think the furnace burned ...gasp.....25.00 worth of natural gas so far this winter!!! :)
  11. titan

titan Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Nova Scotia
    Fire burning since end o September in this ole barn;5 cords gone and one tank of oil.....an affordable ratio.
  12. mpilihp

mpilihp Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Coastal ME
    CTBurns its our first year, always had a wood stove in the basement but this gets the heat to the house much more evenly. Another bonus is heating our DHW with it. We burned about 50 gallons of oil and that was mainly during weekends when we were away during the bitter cold part of the winter.

Its not a gassifier but with the wood basiclly free I cant see spending 8+ grand on one.

~ Phil
  13. Hiram Maxim

Hiram Maxim Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Michigan
    Dennis,
    Close to 6 cords!!!!!!! :shut:

1 cord of pine, 1 cord of white ash, and about 3 cords of semi seasoned Cherry.

The other cord was a mix of 2x4s, well seasoned red oak, white oak & super old cherry.
    One very cold Michigan Winter...................

(I now have 8 cords that have been cut, split, and stacked for 1 1/2 years come next heating season) ;-) I'm learning?
  14. myzamboni

myzamboni Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silicon Valley
    A little over a cord, but I only burn nights and weekend mornings. I also have only had 3 fires in the last 10 days. I think I'm about 1/2 cord less than last year which was the first with the stove.
  15. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    More than 7, less than 8. I'm talking full cords, not face cords. With a low tonight of -13C and negative double digit lows most of the week, I'm burning up next years inventory fast.
  16. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    We're at about 3 cords right now, with chilly spring weather. At this rate we will be officially OOW in a couple weeks.
  17. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Delaware, Ohio
    I've burned about 3 cords of wood, and about 35-40 gallons of propane.

-SF
  18. quinn

quinn New Member

Loc:
    Southeastern BC, Canada
    Just a hair shy of 9 full cords so far with more cold weather this week and about a third of a full cord remaining. I hope it warms up soon as our supply is dwindling.
  19. kniffin50

kniffin50 Member

Loc:
    granby ct.
    I've burned 4 cords between the two stoves, starting mid Oct. and just winding down now.
    Rusty
  20. jdinspector

jdinspector Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I've burned right at about 5 cords of Oak, Ash, Maple. I'm hoping to bring that down substantially next year with the new soapstone stove. I have about 4 cords ready to go for next year, but am splitting more over the weekend and over the next month.
  21. syd3006

syd3006 Member

Loc:
    Northwestern Ontario
    Between 2.5 and 3 cords and maybe $60.00 in electricity to run the heat pump. After heating with oil for close to 30 years this is a huge relief. I am really noticing and enjoying the changes in my lifestyle and my attitude toward things such as the environment that this is bringing about.
  22. eba1225

eba1225 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Chester Springs, Pa
    At the 2.5 cord mark with about another 1/4 left, most of it punky stuff, perfect for this time of year where it heats up quickly. This is what I expected to burn and this year from a temperature standpoint was 10% colder than last year and pretty close to normal. So that gives me comfort in the quantity I have set aside for each year.
  23. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Well I was out looking at the wood pile earlier and it's hard to say....probably 10 full cords but we're still burning.
  24. northwinds

northwinds Minister of Fire

Loc:
    south central WI
    About 4-5 cords.
  25. JBinKC

JBinKC Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Lake of the Ozarks
    Quite a bit less than normal- very close to 2 cords so far usually it is closer to 3.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.