How much wood have you burned this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
First, my apology. Someone asked how much wood I've burned this year but I had not figured it yet and I posted that I would try to answer today or tomorrow. Now I'm having a senior moment and can't find that post. lol

I just figured ours and we've burned 2 3/4 cords so far.

Last year we burned 2.95 cords total but the heating season did not end until May.

Not sure when it will end this year but I don't expect we'll use too much in April and hopefully none in May. Time will tell on that one. We have had fires every night and most days we will keep it going in the mornings. Afternoons have been too warm for fire lately.

about 5 cords between mid to end of October to a last week. This winter here was a bit colder than usual.

I'm on my target of 3. And I'll just make it through my first year.

I used quite a bit learning the stove in thte fall, which I now realize used alot of wood. Next season, I'll be ready .

Around two cords of oak and a cord of pine so far. Stove is burning right now so who knows how it ends up. I should have five cords of oak left for the future.

I am going to whack nothing but pine trees this spring and use oak for night burns from now on if the pine dries in time.

Started burning Jan 1 and about 2.5 cords and just about out.

I'm at around 4 cords or so in my first year of burning. Looking good for the next two years with plenty of Oak and Hickory already seasoning since last spring and some random Ash, Maple and Pine that I've been able to scrounge.

Just a little over 4 cords. The 1st cord was a lot of ugly junk wood in the fall. I could have waited a bit longer to start burning, but what the heck I always look forward to burning and since I had junk to burn I started about mid October.

Hi we have a conventional wood boiler and we went through almost 10 cord, still heating too. Kept the house a balming 75-80 a times just the way my wife likes it. We cut off our own land. This also included heating our DHW.

~ Phil

mpilihp said:
Hi we have a conventional wood boiler and we went through almost 10 cord, still heating too. Kept the house a balming 75-80 a times just the way my wife likes it. We cut off our own land. This also included heating our DHW.

~ Phil

Wood boiler and your own land to cut from, makes me pretty jealous Phil!

I would say 4.5 cord in here in Wisconsin. I have 3 cord of stacked and split oak for next year and need to get going for another cord and a half yet. THis year I burned some of the softer hardwoods and it does not compare to oak ash and hickory. If I just run the good stuff I bet I could get by with 4 on an average winter. This winter was colder then normal...I think the furnace burned ...gasp.....25.00 worth of natural gas so far this winter!!! :)

Fire burning since end o September in this ole barn;5 cords gone and one tank of oil.....an affordable ratio.

CTBurns its our first year, always had a wood stove in the basement but this gets the heat to the house much more evenly. Another bonus is heating our DHW with it. We burned about 50 gallons of oil and that was mainly during weekends when we were away during the bitter cold part of the winter.

Its not a gassifier but with the wood basiclly free I cant see spending 8+ grand on one.

~ Phil

Dennis,
Close to 6 cords!!!!!!! :shut:

1 cord of pine, 1 cord of white ash, and about 3 cords of semi seasoned Cherry.

The other cord was a mix of 2x4s, well seasoned red oak, white oak & super old cherry.
One very cold Michigan Winter...................

(I now have 8 cords that have been cut, split, and stacked for 1 1/2 years come next heating season) ;-) I'm learning?

A little over a cord, but I only burn nights and weekend mornings. I also have only had 3 fires in the last 10 days. I think I'm about 1/2 cord less than last year which was the first with the stove.

More than 7, less than 8. I'm talking full cords, not face cords. With a low tonight of -13C and negative double digit lows most of the week, I'm burning up next years inventory fast.

We're at about 3 cords right now, with chilly spring weather. At this rate we will be officially OOW in a couple weeks.

Just a hair shy of 9 full cords so far with more cold weather this week and about a third of a full cord remaining. I hope it warms up soon as our supply is dwindling.

I've burned 4 cords between the two stoves, starting mid Oct. and just winding down now.
Rusty

I've burned right at about 5 cords of Oak, Ash, Maple. I'm hoping to bring that down substantially next year with the new soapstone stove. I have about 4 cords ready to go for next year, but am splitting more over the weekend and over the next month.

Between 2.5 and 3 cords and maybe $60.00 in electricity to run the heat pump. After heating with oil for close to 30 years this is a huge relief. I am really noticing and enjoying the changes in my lifestyle and my attitude toward things such as the environment that this is bringing about.

At the 2.5 cord mark with about another 1/4 left, most of it punky stuff, perfect for this time of year where it heats up quickly. This is what I expected to burn and this year from a temperature standpoint was 10% colder than last year and pretty close to normal. So that gives me comfort in the quantity I have set aside for each year.

Well I was out looking at the wood pile earlier and it's hard to say....probably 10 full cords but we're still burning.

About 4-5 cords.

Status
Not open for further replies.