How much wood have you burned this year?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
not more than i had - hope to do the same next year and the years after

Between 6-6.5 cords of mixed hardwoods. 100% wood heat for 2700 sq ft house. I really expected to use more. March has been realatively warm and I dont expect to use much at all in April.

probably between 5 and 6 cord so far, still burning a bit but mostly at night and early morning only.
so far have about 3 cord cut split and stacked for next year.

First year heating with wood. Started Thanksgiving Day. Estimate 4 cords. Still burning. Will be burning and on and off most likely till early May. So maybe another 1/2 cord. It was all standing dead wood. Mostly Rock Maple and Ash. Some Beech and Cherry. I didn't use a drop of oil for heating since! Yahooo! As mentioned by others, one has a tendency to keep the house warmer. We usually with oil kept the thermostat at 68*-70*. With wood it was more around 75* give and take.

I've enjoyed every minute of it.

5 cords, 300 gallons of oil, and about 30 pallets. Heating 1400 sqft of house (Oslo) and 1750 sqft of shop (Englander). Just finished cutting up 90 hardwood pallets for next year. At the rate I'm finding pallets, I might not even NEED cordwood next season!

Peter SWNH said:
5 cords, 300 gallons of oil, and about 30 pallets. Heating 1400 sqft of house (Oslo) and 1750 sqft of shop (Englander). Just finished cutting up 90 hardwood pallets for next year. At the rate I'm finding pallets, I might not even NEED cordwood next season!

It sounds like too much? Is it an older home? I am in a 57 brick ranch, good attic insulation and most new windows and I am thru about 4.5 burning 24-7. The furnace only ran in January durring an extended 20 below 3 weeks. BTW watch it with pallets, they can burn too hot. Great for getting going though!

2.5-3 cords and I have about 5 already cut split and ready. Each year I get farther ahead. I'm getting the boat ready for a long summer of fishing.

burntime said:
Peter SWNH said:

It sounds like too much? Is it an older home? I am in a 57 brick ranch, good attic insulation and most new windows and I am thru about 4.5 burning 24-7. The furnace only ran in January during an extended 20 below 3 weeks. BTW watch it with pallets, they can burn too hot. Great for getting going though!

House is 20yrs old. All log construction (6" wood...that's it), all dual pane low-e Anderson windows, no attic just cathedral ceilings. Hot water is via oil in addition to the oil forced hot air furnace (which rarely runs). Average inside temp 75 regardless of outside temp.

Shop is 25x35 (detached 3-car garage). 2nd floor is insulated, but not the main floor (just bare concrete walls). Englander keeps it very toasty (70+).

I don't mind the cold weather at all (I spend enough of it outside, dressed appropriately), but I will *NOT* wear a sweater in my house. :)

Peter SWNH said:
...I will *NOT* wear a sweater in my house. :)

You and me brother. You and me. :coolsmirk:

Just about at 3 cords now, been heating 1800sq ft 24/7 all winter. Getting kind a tired of it, ready for some warm weather.

BrotherBart said:
Peter SWNH said:
...I will *NOT* wear a sweater in my house. :)

You kidding me... I wear shorts all winter long! Even when I go outside to get wood.....I do get odd looks from neighbors though :)

Todd said:
Getting kind a tired of it, ready for some warm weather.

A little over 4 cords up in smoke so far. The last two weeks I started a fire morning and evening. March is going out like a Lion here in Southern Wisconsin. Low in the thirties yesterday...today 24 degrees...six inches of snow forcasted for tomorrow into Sunday so I am back to continous burn.

Two cords of seasoned wood left in the woodshed. 6 cords of wood cut and split last fall on the other side of the woodshed. Never had to burn more than 6 cords per year in the past forty years.

Jackpine

Used 8 cords and am still burning, here in Michigan! had wood furnace fired up tonight. 97% wood heat, 3% LP, (one 3 day weekend used LP while gone)....Been a long winter here.

Burned about 1 cord of split wood plus 1 (almost 1 ton) of Envi 8's in the basement stove plus 2.5 tons of pellets on the main floor. I have 2.5 cords of Black Locust split since last fall for next year. My neighbor, who also burns wood two houses up from me and lived alone, passed away a week ago suddenly. He has at least two cords of seasoned wood sitting in the back yard. I am trying to find a tactful way to let the relatives know that I will happily move that junk off the property for them for free. I think it's what he would have wanted.

Rockey said:
Between 6-6.5 cords of mixed hardwoods. 100% wood heat for 2700 sq ft house. I really expected to use more. March has been realatively warm and I dont expect to use much at all in April.

I'm glad to hear that. I have used about 6 cords. 4 of them were slab wood. I have about the same size house as you and my furnace never came on.

Like Jackpine,
4 1/3 full since the end of Sept., and Jan.- Feb. seemed pretty cold. Not the greatest insulation, and most of the house is on slab. Stove room windows leak little jets of cold air. I don't need to INSTALL an OAK, already here.:roll:
We've been doing morning and evening fires, and still, most times a fire before bed. Wake up to the house @ 68, so that's a good sign that spring is almost here. Although,.... we've also got the forecast for "possible significant accumulations" of snow for Sunday. Too early in the year to expect winter to be done.
1 1/3 full remain, unless I bust into next years supply. Not.
Dave

syd3006 said:
Between 2.5 and 3 cords and maybe $60.00 in electricity to run the heat pump.
I find this to be incredible, given that you purport to live 20 minutes away from me. The outdoor temps cannot be that different. You must live in a shoebox and wear a sweater!

I have a 2200 sq ft 11 year old home with 2x6 construction, lots of glass, and cathedral ceilings. I generally keep the house around 74, burn 24/7 most of the time. The gas furnace runs every day and I average $100 per month on the gas bill, including cooking and DHW. Also have electric radiant floor heat in both bathrooms.

LLigetfa said:
syd3006 said:
Between 2.5 and 3 cords and maybe $60.00 in electricity to run the heat pump.
I find this to be incredible, given that you purport to live 20 minutes away from me. The outdoor temps cannot be that different. You must live in a shoebox and wear a sweater!

I have a 2200 sq ft 11 year old home with 2x6 construction, lots of glass, and cathedral ceilings. I generally keep the house around 74, burn 24/7 most of the time. The gas furnace runs every day and I average $100 per month on the gas bill, including cooking and DHW. Also have electric radiant floor heat in both bathrooms.
I will explain as I take from your tone that you don't believe me.

Since my marital status changed I have found myself financially challenged. As a result of this I have been putting a lot of effort into conserving money anywhere possible.

My house is 1056 sq. ft., I live alone and am gone during the day, I load the stove before leaving but it is out when I get home, the heat pump is turned to 60F and rarely comes on. I sometimes put on a sweater.

2500 sq ft (half of it basement). Last year to heat both I used a little less than 2 cords plus a little gas on the very coldest nights.

This year it will be less than 1-1/3 cords and no gas, with higher average indoor temps.

The difference? More basement insulation. And 75 sq ft of passive solar heater. That thing gives 50-60k btus for free every day when the sun is shining. I hope to add another 100 sq ft of solar before next heating season.

Solar + wood are a perfect heating combo!

syd3006 said:
LLigetfa said:
I have a 2200 sq ft 11 year old home...
I will explain...
I have been putting a lot of effort into conserving money anywhere possible.
My house is 1056 sq. ft...
the heat pump is turned to 60F and rarely comes on. I sometimes put on a sweater.
That's the problem with these threads... seldom an apples to apples comparison.

I have an additional 1200 sq ft of 4 ft high crawlspace (with concrete floor) that I also heat. The thermostat on the furnace is most often set to 71 and I try to burn enough wood to keep it from coming on. If I fail to keep the house above 74, the wife will bump the furnace to 74.

I got behind in my wood and burned wood that was less than ideally seasoned so used more than I normally would. This winter was colder than most and the wife insisted on keeping the house hotter than we ever did before.

I should try that conserving stuff but I think the wife won't cooperate. I need to put her to work on the wood pile to realize the value of it. PFFT, I must be dreaming.

Started with 3 cords of mixed pine and fir last fall and started burning full time in Nov., ran out of wood in the beginning of March so we went and cut another half a cord of fir which looks like it will take us through to the end of the burning season. Apart from that we spend about $114 on average on electric which manages all the other utilities in our 1,500 sq ft house including the heat pump that has kicked in occasionally.
It was a colder than normal year here, so next year I'll have a full 4 cords on hand, with that and global warming kicking in any day now we should be able to stay nice and warm next winter.

Diabel said:
Sorry I asked this once before..a cord is 4x4x8 right & you're all referring to such dimensions.

smokinj,

you went through more than 1500 cubic feet of wood (if my math is correct)....crap what are your re-load intervals & how many stoves are you running?
one big furance and it heats all my water as well my gas bill and ele. bill total are under 50.00 bucks a month and 85 percent of what i burn is soft maple there is alot of it around here! (2600 sq ft home) full wind no blocks at all! yet
reload 4 times a day when its cold

This is my second year burning 24/7. I've burned about 5 cords of cherry. I have about 12-14 cords of oak and hickory ready to burn. I hope to cut down by using the oak/hickory and also will finish and fully insulate the basement where the stove is located. My electric heat has been almost completely off and the propane tanks have been returned to the supplier. The entire house is considerably warmer and I saved about $2000.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.