How much wood have you gone through so far?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
north of 60 said:
1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cords oooops I mean boxes of toothpicks. Sorry Bro Bart slipped. :)

More than a cord for the winter is a warranty claim with a Blaze King isn't it?

BrotherBart said:
north of 60 said:
1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cords oooops I mean boxes of toothpicks. Sorry Bro Bart slipped. :)

More than a cord for the winter is a warranty claim with a Blaze King isn't it?
Ahh yes! thanks for reminding me. Maybe I can claim some oak for it. Then I would only need to load twice for the winter.
Thanx BB

Less than a half a cord. We had a pretty mellow October and November as far as temps are concerned. The heat pump carried it well. Now it's starting to get into stove burning temps and we're burning about 20/7.

BrotherBart said:
eernest4 said:
Of course a 150,000 btu/hr , 1960 era, 1/4 inch plate steel, 12 cubic foot firebox doesnot help any either.

It has all the efficiency of a three legged turtle. %-P
And smokes more that a camero peeling rubber, unelse I fine tune all settings & then check the chimney.

I wanna see a picture of this thing you talk about. I had one of the biggest pre-EPA stoves they made and the firebox interior measurement on that stove was only 4.3 cubic feet. A 55 gallon drum is only 7.33 cubic feet inside. :question:

The silence is deafening........I'm in Ct too, been burning pretty regularly for almost a month and have gone through about 1/3 to 1/2 cord. I'd have to have a pretty good size bon-fire several times a week to have used 2 cords so far.

4-5 wheel barrow loads, maybe slightly more.

it has been bitter cold a few nights, and then it jumps to 60 during the day, its an odd winter.

Central heat ( gas) has run VERY little so far this year.

1/2 cord, less methinks. Tho in Colorado, we live up against the mountains on the front range and it is sometimes moderate, like now. We can get stretches of sub zero and more stretches of 0-30, but that is balanced out with days like today where it went into the 60s. Have often found two or three splits of oak or pinon keep things nice and comfy for the eve. Not bad. Tho I break down and throw in some crummy cottonwood I have lying around just to burn it up. We're overdue to get slammed tho and I'll be transporting armloads of the hard stuff to keep the cats and the missus toasty.

ozarkjeep said:
4-5 wheel barrow loads, maybe slightly more.

it has been bitter cold a few nights, and then it jumps to 60 during the day, its an odd winter.

Central heat ( gas) has run VERY little so far this year.

Winter?? You got Winter?? Winter is due to arrive in Central Ma later today. I'll tell him you said "Hi".

I'm 95% through my pile of odds. I've pulled a little off my regular piles though. I guess I got bored of them. I should probably go pull the rest inside. I will want to put snow where my odds are kept.

Matt and expecting actual snow today. It's already started falling!

Right around 1/2 cord and counting.

We do try to keep it good and toasty inside or we'd burn less. That's okay as we have plenty of dry stuff on hand. Probably enough for 3 years. We've cut just a little this fall (very little) but cutting season is upon us now. Weather permitting, I'll start Monday.

My shed is nominally six cords, in ten stacks, so 0.6 cords / stack - except that the roof slopes, and I've started from the high side... Burning 24/7 pretty much since the 1st of Nov, I've gone through one stack and made a good dent in the next one - so I'd estimate between 3/4 and one cord, probably closer to 3/4.

The smoke dragon would have probably burned closer to a stack and a half to a stack and 3/4, and I only got 8 stacks in the shed when I was cutting for it because it took a longer log.

We were out a good bit of today, left just before noon, got back around 9:30 - I turned the stove to minimum air on a full load before we left. It was still hot, and still had plenty of coals left (probably another couple hours worth at least) but the house had dropped to about 59* - I loaded the stove early and have been running it hot since, also cranked the HVAC to 65* and it ran for a couple hours, but its been off for a while now and the house is back to a reasonable temperature.

It seems that the temps are finally getting down low enough that I need to start figuring out where to set the Encore so that it burns more in the 6-700* range instead of the 4-500 zone so it will keep up with the house better.

Gooserider

1/2 inch of ice here this morning ..temp down stairs 69* upstairs 67* Loaded 3 medium splits at 11pm..its 5:30am now. Nice iron wood coals flamed right up with a few new splits. I have burned through 1 cord of wood so far, started burning in late October.

I've been burning to keep the heat pump from running, that is my primary goal. I've been burning almost 24/7 for a month now, and have been through about a cord. This is also my first year with the stove, in a new house to me. I think that I've learned a bit already and am slowing down my consumption as it gets colder. I had three cords delivered, but I think it worked out to more like four cords. One of those cords was all 20"+ "all nighters" so that was a nice surprise to see that delivery. I'm starting to think about getting one more cord.

The heat pump is right outside my bedroom window, my brain has been trained now that if it goes on when I'm sleeping that the stove must be dying so I get up and load it.

about a 1/4 - 1/3 a cord... 24/7.

I have no idea!
I had so much wood pallet kindling and it was so easy to grab. Kinda like the crack cocaine of wood burning.
I thought, "Man this kindling will last all year! Ha...it is almost gone!"
I know one thing, the furnace has yet to fire up, and I want it to stay that way.

I am sorry, this computer does not have any photo shop programs & I dont have a digital camera. I bought this old pentium 2 computer for $140.oo with 16 in round crt screen & paid 20.oo for a new dial up modem, so just a old bare bones computer.

The stove door is 24 inch x 24 inch and the firebox 36 inch long. I measured it with a tape measure. It is a front loader, front burner and has a step up in the top of the stove about 2 feet back from the door, that sticks up 1 foot and gos 1 foot to the back of the stove.

There are two 3inch pipes that come out of the step that blow hot air & an electric single speed blower that inserts into the other end of the pipe where it comes out in the right side
panel rear, just above the right rear 6 inch leg.

My friend thinks it is a welding shop copy of the 1960-1970 allnighter big mo . It is entirely 1/4 inch thick plate steel.It also has two domestic hot water coils inside the fire box that i dont use. The longer coil has a leak in it, so only the short coil is useable.

I plan on replacing this stove with a englander 50-30 ncl by march 2008 or sooner because it eats 56 - 4inch x4inch x 2 feet long pallet feet, as well as 8 pallet stringers-- per 24 hours in 8 three hour burns, when I burn 24/7, like I did this week.

Mom, 95 years, & she wants 76* to 78 * maintained.
She feels cold all the time, even though the house is roasting so no doubt I am burning more wood that keeping 72 *

I figure the englander 50-30ncl could run 3 winters on what this pig stove eats in 1 winter.

As to the silence, I forgot about this thread until today, was in many other places on this board,instead.

Looking forward to that englander 30ncl & the luxjerery of 8 hour burns.

Hey! The spell checker dont tell you how to spell it right, it just say you spelled it wrong!!

I used to have a dictionary around here somewheres, i remember seeing it about 25 years ago. Now where could it be????

Maybe 1/2 cord, it's hard to say because I'm not pulling uniformly from a single stack. Mostly red maple and cherry early on, more red oak now (some punky), with hickory, white oak, and black locust waiting in the wings for real winter temps.

Just about 2 cords since starting in the middle of September. Yes, we have a leaky and underinsulated old house and little girls to keep warm. As soon as the outside temps get below 70 then we know that our house will start cooling. I figure if this year is as last was that we'll burn into the middle of may so 8 months of burning. We are now through 2.5 months or just over 25% and my stacks are only 20% reduced.

Thanks for running this thread. I see that I have much to gain by insulating and replacing the windows. Just replaced the leaky old front door this last weekend.

Hey! The spell checker don't tell you how to spell it right, it just say you spelled it wrong!!

Left click on the misspelled word, and it should give you a list of alternatives to pick from, then select "save changes" on the main screen. (at least that's how it works on my box)

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.