How much wood have you gone through so far?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2/3 of a cord a lot of it poplar. Now starting to burn harder woods.

I would say one face cord for me..mostly locust and some hard maple..

About a face and a half. Burning since september here. Started with some basswood to take the chill off and now elm, oak, shagbark, maple, and box elder. Basically if it burns it goes into the insert!!! December, January and February I get serious and go to all hardwood except for rekindling the fire.

Way too much for this early in the season. About a cord, but the stove is new this year and my lovely bride is getting very spoiled with it being 76deg in the living room every night. I am nearly out of the "good" dry stuff so will have to start scrounging soon. I can also relate with Highbeam as I too have an older drafty house.

Probably a 1/3 of a cord. And yes that 75-76 degree spoils you. I'll never be able to afford to heat with propane after getting used to this.

Well it`s only Dec.5th and already 1 and a quarter cords. Seems like a lot for such a mild climate? It ain`t the insert though, it is because our home is surrounded by massive Douglas Firs and Cedars. We have to start burning in late Sept. because while our neighbours are basking in passive solar heat, we get none, zilch. This house only gets direct sunlight when we don`t need it May thru August. At least I can`t take the non-credit for building it, we are the second owners. In early fall it is often warmer outside than it is inside. Not kidding. Anyone thinking of building that nice home in the middle of the forest might want to clear a huge swath around the homesite to let some sun in. Save ya a couple of cords of wood per season.

I've used 2/3 cord so far burning just about 24/7. I have supplemented with a couple of radiant panel heaters in the master bedroom and bath at night(furthest rooms from the stove). I have been intending to record my usage from year to year for comparison purposes. However, like many other things it keeps getting set on the back burner and forgotten.

We have gone through at least 4 face cord, working on 5. Old house with the original single pane glass downstairs. 2nd year heating with wood. Next project is updating the air infiltration on this house. Well after I decide between the 30-NC or the Summit :) This huge house definitely needs something bigger than the century I currently use. Add a wife from warmer climates and young children born in Florida equals much more wood to be used. On the plus my forced air propane furnace has not been used at all. Huge savings when that doesn't have to turn on.

"it’s hard to say because I’m not pulling uniformly from a single stack. Mostly red maple and cherry early on, more red oak now"

Ats what I do as well. I'd guess 4 or 5 face cord of maple. I've just started getting into my oak rows and I'd guess a face cord of that.

3 face cord = 1 cord eh???.

been running it for about 3.5 wks 24/7 and gone thru about 1/4 chord.......furnace hasnt kicked on once and its always 70-72 degrees

"furnace hasnt kicked on once and its always 70-72 degrees"

Heh, my wife's internal thermostat is always at 77 degrees. 72 to her is frigid.

Wherebouts you from in Michigan?

sonnyinbc said:
Well it`s only Dec.5th and already 1 and a quarter cords. Seems like a lot for such a mild climate? It ain`t the insert though, it is because our home is surrounded by massive Douglas Firs and Cedars. We have to start burning in late Sept. because while our neighbours are basking in passive solar heat, we get none, zilch. This house only gets direct sunlight when we don`t need it May thru August. At least I can`t take the non-credit for building it, we are the second owners. In early fall it is often warmer outside than it is inside. Not kidding. Anyone thinking of building that nice home in the middle of the forest might want to clear a huge swath around the homesite to let some sun in. Save ya a couple of cords of wood per season.

Start by burning the wood closest to the house! :)

michiganwinters said:
been running it for about 3.5 wks 24/7 and gone thru about 1/4 chord.......furnace hasnt kicked on once and its always 70-72 degrees

I wish once I could get my house up to 70 with a insert or stove. I have all new triple pain windows and doors and my homes walls are 8 inches or so as its a log home. My insert keeps my temp a toasty 62-65 without the heat pump on.

I would say I have burned at least a face or better and hope that changes next week with my new Regency I3100.

Shipper

Maybe a cord of pine the most readily available wood in my neck of the woods house has stayed in the mid 70 since Sept.
Hey since all I have is pine maybe if I sprinkle some enzyte (sorry how ever it is spelled) on it I'll get better wood then I can have an even bigger smile because my gas bill was $19.24 last month

Burning nearly all hardwood, mostly Red Oak w/ a variety of other stuff mixed in, I'm fixing to get to the ~1.8 cord mark on the next load I bring into the house. Been burning since about Nov. 1st, mostly keeping the house between 65 and 70*F. The furnace does kick in for supplemental heat occasionally when the outside gets below about 20*F. We would like it to be warmer, but we have some really huge windows next to the stove that you can just feel the cold rolling off. I have some fabric on order that I hope to be making some thermal shades for them shortly, although that poses it's own challenge - how does one do a working shade on a six foot diameter half round window that's about 15' off the floor...

Gooserider

One cord as of today. Just started the next cord this evening. Been burning since November except for two weeks during Christmas when we were gone. I burn around one cord a month or so.

Burned about two face between december 22nd and now, usually about a cord a month for me. My old franklin style smoke dragon is hungry :) Although thanks to this site, I am learning a lot and hope that my consumption will go down, I've been experimenting a bit with the damper lately and it's definitely helping.

I had to burn a cord and a half by now. Last gas bill was 40 bucks and that includes stove and dryer. Neighbors bill was 300, 90 of it was electric. I am getting less than excited about hauling wood finally!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.