How much wood I can put in 2000 lb. rated trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dmitry

Minister of Fire
Oct 4, 2014
CT
image.jpeg
I need to move some wood for 200 '. Flat land , nothing crazy. Have no idea what the weight of the wood. I got 20'' splits of beech.How high can i go with double row without braking the trailer? It is 4' by 8' trailer. I did three loads like this today. Is it safe?
Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 183995 I need to move some wood for 200 '. Flat land , nothing crazy. Have no idea what the weight of the wood. I got 20'' splits of beech.How high can i go with double row without braking the trailer? It is 4' by 8' trailer. I did three loads like this today. Is it safe?
Thanks.
Probably not for the people driving behind you when you hit a pothole and pieces start falling off in front of them...

It's on my property , flat land, no people around.

I wouldn't give it a second thought if the thing isn't complaining.
(creaking, slowly bending. bulging but aired tires, etc.)

Looks like a very solid unit. The wheels say it has a strong axle too.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeap

Sent from my garage laptop.

Reactions: KenLockett
If it's only 200 feet, why risk it? The time to drive that far and back is nothing compared to the time to load, unload and stack. It's even less compared to the time it would take to repair a trailer.

I think beech comes in at ~3500 lbs a cord. Go for 1/2 to 2/3 cord per trip.

I normally gauge my load by watching the wheel in relation to the fender. My trailer is 6x10 and it will hold safely about 2/3'rd cord of red oak. Being that you are only moving across your land, take more trips and reduce the strain on your trailer.

Reactions: bfitz3
There's a big factor of safety in the design of the trailer - probably 2x for bumps, and another 1.5x as a margin. So sitting still, it will probably support 6,000 pounds or more.

That can be deceptive, though - even moving slow on your own land, the bumps put a non-trivial load into the trailer, and pushing the absolute limit of the trailer material will shorten its useful life. I don't necessarily recommend it, but going to maybe 3000 pounds from time to time in those circumstances probably won't be something you regret. Make sure you keep the tongue weight appropriate to your vehicle. It looks like you stacked to the rear to do so.

Don't overload it on the road, though.

Just remember..bearings are damaged when overloaded. But they don't always fail when overloaded. They will fail on a long trip when you are 3 hrs from home.

Reactions: Jeffm1
Status
Not open for further replies.