How much wood in a tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The mother of all beauties are the Sequoias, followed by Redwoods...but those aren't around here so much obviously. :p

Sure they are. Just fell this one a few months ago. ==c
Denny on Redwood stump-2.JPG

Reactions: ScotO and HDRock
I bet the majority of firewood users that cut and process their own wood are some of the strongest supporters of maintaining forest land, having a love and appreciation for trees. I know I do. Similiar to hunters, who are some of the biggest proponents of wildlife conservation. :)

Nice! That tree is so big that it looks like you are standing on about half a cord still!

But how do you get that? I think it would be easier to cut and split 1/2 cord worth of 16" diameter rounds

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice! That tree is so big that it looks like you are standing on about half a cord still!

I figured once that one of the giant sequoias in California contains 250 - 300 cords worth of firewood. Enough to supply a person for their whole life. It would be criminal to touch something so beautiful that was alive at the time of Christ

Reactions: ScotO
I figured once that one of the giant sequoias in California contains 250 - 300 cords worth of firewood. Enough to supply a person for their whole life. It would be criminal to touch something so beautiful that was alive at the time of Christ

We feel the same way about Backwoods Savage. ;) :)

I prefer maples, oaks, and pine trees. The cottonwoods are not as good looking.
When it comes to living trees, I love almost all of them. We were camping near Watkins Glen a week ago and in the middle of the night I woke up to the light rustling of the aspen leaves on the trees near our tent.....what a nice, relaxing sound. Some consider those trees worthless, while they may be nearly worthless as firewood or such, keep in mind that all those trees turn our CO2 into precious oxygen. Without them, we're screwed......

When it comes to living trees, I love almost all of them. We were camping near Watkins Glen a week ago and in the middle of the night I woke up to the light rustling of the aspen leaves on the trees near our tent.....what a nice, relaxing sound. Some consider those trees worthless, while they may be nearly worthless as firewood or such, keep in mind that all those trees turn our CO2 into precious oxygen. Without them, we're screwed......
Aspen (popple) is a very valuable food/shelter tree for grouse along with many other species of animals, both furry and feathered. Although not the highest in BTU it is far from a worthless tree.

The Aspen is a decent looking tree for landscaping maybe.
There is quite a bit of it on my uncle's property. I love it when the leaves flutter back and forth in the breeze, and also when it turns a brilliant golden yellow in the fall. I like aspen! (just not in my stacks!)

There is quite a bit of it on my uncle's property. I love it when the leaves flutter back and forth in the breeze, and also when it turns a brilliant golden yellow in the fall. I like aspen! (just not in my stacks!)

I have a lot of oak right now. I like that..especially white although red oak is a nicer color. If I could get around the slow seasoning issue.... There's a couple cottonwood trees I could take down that are probably aspen level in terms of usefulness. Maybe ok for shoulder season when you don't want much heat from your flame.

I have a lot of oak right now. I like that..especially white although red oak is a nicer color. If I could get around the slow seasoning issue.... There's a couple cottonwood trees I could take down that are probably aspen level in terms of usefulness. Maybe ok for shoulder season when you don't want much heat from your flame.
I'll be milling all the cottonwood and poplar I get from now on. Makes great wood for tinkering around (wifey likes to make benches and crafts, that stuff is great for those things). Heck I may even save a piece of that willow I'll be cutting down for milling. Willow has a nice looking pink hue to it, with lots of birdseye in the grain. And it dries out to a super light wood. But cottonwood and willow sure stink when cutting them!

Reactions: firecracker_77
I'll be milling all the cottonwood and poplar I get from now on. Makes great wood for tinkering around (wifey likes to make benches and crafts, that stuff is great for those things). Heck I may even save a piece of that willow I'll be cutting down for milling. Willow has a nice looking pink hue to it, with lots of birdseye in the grain. And it dries out to a super light wood. But cottonwood and willow sure stink when cutting them!

I've thought of that. Most wood would be useful if you were making things out of it instead of incerating it.

Status
Not open for further replies.