How much wood should I expect from this load?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scfa99

Alright I'm dealing with a farmer who is not the friendliest and is not in the wood business. He is offering a dump truck load of various length logs for 300 bucks (its my only option right now). Won't budge off the price if I purchase more. Its mostly oak with some ash, I know this for certain.

He says his dump truck bed is 10' long by 9' wide by 4' high. He said its 2.5 to 3 cords and that he stacks it above the top of the truck. Based on this what should I reasonably expect to get?

SCFA said:
Alright I'm dealing with a farmer who is not the friendliest and is not in the wood business. He is offering a dump truck load of various length logs for 300 bucks (its my only option right now). Won't budge off the price if I purchase more. Its mostly oak with some ash, I know this for certain.

He says his dump truck bed is 10' long by 9' wide by 4' high. He said its 2.5 to 3 cords and that he stacks it above the top of the truck. Based on this what should I reasonably expect to get?

sounds like the old farmer is right

SCFA said:

that might be a pretty close estimate, depends on how straight the logs are and how well they fit in there. wouldn't that be something like 15,000lbs though?

Danno77 said:
SCFA said:

that might be a pretty close estimate, depends on how straight the logs are and how well they fit in there. wouldn't that be something like 15,000lbs though?

yep 12-15 farmer are good at hauling weight

if it was cut split and stacked tight it would be right around 3 cords. with them log length, again depending on how straighht they are, i would say probably more like 2 1/2. around here that would be a good deal, because its usually over 200 a cord. but it would depend on the going rate in your area. i personally would take it for 300.

Sounds like a decent price but remember you won't be able to burn that this season.

Shari

Shari said:
Sounds like a decent price but remember you won't be able to burn that this season.

Shari
that ash be alright

CowboyAndy said:
around here that would be a good deal, because its usually over 200 a cord.
For logs ? $100 here.
$200+ for cut & split.

Status
Not open for further replies.