how much wood this season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hanko

Minister of Fire
Feb 26, 2008
livingstion co, Michigan
just wondering what everbodys consumption has been so far. what kind of stove, size of house, and location where you live.

3.5 cords, Quad 7100, 2700 sqft, North West NJ, mild winter. 150 gallons of LP since July (includes dryer, water and stove)

5 cords of softwood since late Sept. 60 gallons of oil, 43 gallons of propane.

Living in a forest like enviroment doesn`t allow much natural sunlight,so no benefit from solar. Will probably be burning for another 3 or 4 weeks,but only a few hours a day. *my signature shows the heating appliances. and ours is a 4 level house.

3-3 1/2 cords with PE SUMMIT (summit heats 2000+ sq ft) 1 1/2 tons of pellets (900 sq ft) about 60 gallons of oil (about 1000 sq ft ,, my basement stay at 55 unless i am having a party)
my gas bill averages 75 a month (gas fireplace that heats 300 sq ft but that includes hot water )

not bad considering this years oil bill woulda been between 3000-3300!!
now if i can just convince her to let me spend some more cash on another stove for the basement!!!!

PS this is since dec 1

Hanko said:
just wondering what everbodys consumption has been so far. what kind of stove, size of house, and location where you live.

Well I think it was about 3 - 3.5 cords hardwood (oak/maple/ash/etc), we started with the Defiant NeverBurn but moved quickly to the Hearthstone Mansfield. The Mansfield uses about 1/3 - 1/2 the wood. We are in the foothills of the Berkshires in Litchfield County CT. The house is 2400 sq/ft with cathederal ceilings in 1/2 of that. Inside temps are 68-72 all winter.

And, everyone, remember that this winter started out with a real snap as it got cold in late November and just kept coming: at least here....

1800 sq ft, pretty well insulated house including basement where my Fireview is located. Burn 24/7 since mid to late Oct. So far 2.5 cords of Oak. Looks like I will go through 3 cords like last year. This year has been much colder than last couple years.

this was our first year in this house and had to do a last minute install to burn.i'm on my 9th cord.lit her in the fall and its only been out once this year(ran out of wood for 2 days).4 bedroom 30 year old ranch,monster smoke dragon in the basement converted to a wood furnace of sorts,3 hot air ducts and 1 cold air return,inside temps are around 72-75 while we're home,65-68 after an overnite burn(it was 5 degrees here this a.m. when i got up for work).overall pretty happy with the results after a rough start.i can get an honest 10 hour burn and still have enough coals to restart.
the previous homeowner only had fhw here and said he averaged 175-200 gallons per month so i'm pretty stoked about the money i saved even buying my wood by the cord this year.i've spent about 1700.00 versus the 3600 or so i would have spent on oil.and the house was MUCH warmer.we've used about 100 gallons of oil heating the hot water.
i wish i could get my 4300 steptop onto the main floor,but due to my layout its pretty much impossible.i'd love to only burn a few cord a year like some of these guys,and be able to watch my stove burn,but it looks like the quad will be forsale and we'll be searching for a new wood furnace this year(hopefully with a domestic hot water coil).as soon as some of the snow melts we're having 2 grapple loads delivered and will start getting ready for next years burning.......jeremy

Burned 3 cords so far .2000 sqft bi-level house. I've been going 24/7 since mid november, Best burnning season ever with better technique and well seasoned Beech, Locust ,and oak. Mid size stove keeps oil burner off until 6 am . Quick boost from furnace ( 15 minutes on ) then I reload stove and it carries on and maintains until next morning .

I'd say about a cord and a half of good hard wood and about 2 cords of mixed hemlock, somewhat punky elm and red maple as well as some poplar, and red and white pine. Had lots of that stuff and it needed burning plus its great for the small fires when it's not cold. I've cleaned up the area woods of fallen dead, still working on it, but my wood quality is improving as I move to more of the standing dead. Got a nice supply of great hardwood, oak, sugar maple, black locust and apple for the cold spells. Still have about 20 cord, 1/3 of which is split, the rest is stacked but not cut or split yet. Waiting for it to re-emerge from the snow. Looks like it will be quite a while still. Easily another 12-15 cord of decent lying dead and standing dead in the woods. I love the concept of going out in the woods and basically picking up "sticks" and heating your house with it instead of paying for oil. :)

maybe 3 cords burning 24/7 since mid Oct. trying to back out of the burns during the day but my wife and daughter ars already spoiled and will fill the firebox after I head to work

2 1/2 cords red oak and 110 gal #2 oil

T

north of 60 said:
4.5 cords 90% Pine and 10% poplar. 2140sqft, 190 Litres of oil.

For the temps you see I find this amazing. And to think people wonder if it's OK to burn pine :roll:

I'm guessing about 1.5- 2 cord of mixed wood, 1.5 ton of pellets and 40 gallons of propane, plus the heat pump on warm days (like yesterday, it hit 71 degrees). Our coldest this winter was about 8-10 degrees.

1800 sq ft ranch with decent insulation, southern Ohio. US Stove Hotblast 1400 does a LOT better than the pellet stove.

Summit PE on order.

Ken

First year with the stove. WooHoo

3 - 3.5 cords (less than half good stuff the rest old punky/dryrot) %-P , Lopi Declaration, 180 gal of oil since Sept (also used for DHW), house is 2700 sq ft 2 story colonial, have run the stove 24/7 since mid october.

the floor where the stove is located the heat never comes on but the upper floor heat comes on briefly :shut: .

basement maintains 60 - 65 :eek:hh: , looking for a small pellet stove there as my office is there and the wife does her sewing there.

My oil usage for the winter is 1/3 of the usual amount :coolsmile: (ROI on the stove is now projected to be <4 years instead of the expected 8 when we bought it)(all my wood is free as I scrounge and ask people in neighborhood for the wood when they have trees taken down). According to NOAA the degree heating has been about 10% warmer than last year.

4 cords mixed hardwood and poplor 20 gal oil. 2000 colonial Wood furnace.

2.5 cords of mix, (oak, hickory, elm and ????), heating a 900 sq ft house.
Propane???? I have only heard my furnace on twice. Been burning 24/7 since Nov 1.

When it is all said and done, I will have burned my typical 5 cords. Consumed about 4+ now, and we still have some cold coming. Got a couple hundred gallons of propane on that tab also. Just gone too long of stretches to keep the house totally heated with wood, and once in a while I simply get lazy (tired).

I'm guessing around 3 cords. Mix of maple, oak, unidentified hardwoods and plenty of tulip poplar. That's heating 24/7 since roughly October. No backup heat, just this old woodstove. 950 squarefoot house with great passive solar, so one full load of 4-5 splits keeps the house toasty for 6-10 hours at a time. Putting an addition on this spring that will bump it to 2000. Gonna need another stove and a bit more wood.

I blew thru 5 cords, probably burn 1 more. Been burning since October. Some like it hot!!!

Should be around 3+ cords of mixed hardwoods for a 1200sq.ft. cement block house with little block insulation. Next year insulation and window quilts should really make a nice difference.

A wicked old 1800 sqft Cape built in 1750
Northeast CT
3.5 cords so far
Jotul F500 Oslo
Burn 24/7
Gallons of oil used from Jan 07 to Feb 08 - 283 (I have a Thermopride forced hot air furnace and a seperate Bock hot water heater which are both oil fired)

WoodButcher

4500 Sq Ft. Ranch (on two Levels)
10+ Cord of BIG logs for the OWB
8+ cords left
3/4 cord of 2 yr old splits for the Lopi-(ambanice)
2+ cords left
House and downstairs always 70+ for the wife and 90 yr old mother in law-
not too bad for the big snowey winter we have had so far.

Just got my 2 truck loads (127 logs) this morning- for next winter's heat.
Oak (red and white), Rock Maple, Maple (some BIG ones...maybe too big...29" across), Ash, Beech, Spruce, and a couple of logs of birch (not paper birch, the other 'yellow' kind)- no hemlock this year (for some reason logger told me it's a 'money log' this year-he sells all of it to someone in Heniker, NH)
$650.00 a load= $1300.00, to heat this large of a house=== :) :) :lol:

No oil, No LP, No NG--- Yes to Wood!

burned about 7 cords...have been heating since November...haven't turned the furnace on...800 sq. ft...only the attic is insulated...PE Vista...

Status
Not open for further replies.