How much wood to heat basement?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

travlnusa

Nov 8, 2008
NW Wisconsin
Looking at buying a new stove for the finished basement to replace the ventless LP heater.

Total is 960 square feet with 7' ceilings.

I know there are 100s of variables, but how many cords would one might go though in NW WI? Just looking for some kind of guess as I have no idea what number to even pretend to makeup.

Thanks for the stabs at it.

travlnusa said:
Looking at buying a new stove for the finished basement to replace the ventless LP heater.

I know there are 100s of variables, but how many cords would one might go though in NW WI? Just looking for some kind of guess as I have no idea what number to even pretend to makeup.

I guess a lot depends on how often you plan on using the basement. Is it going to be a daily thing in the cold weather months?

I use my wood stove to heat my basement (unfinished, "man cave"), but only when I plan on being down there, which is really only weekends and maybe one night during the week. I probably burn about 1/2 cord, maybe a little more, during the winter to do that.

travlnusa said:

I go through 4-5 cords to heat a simlar sized space in south central WI. The side benefit is that it also heats the
1200 square foot main floor above it.

As you recognize, there are many variables in this question. My walkout basement is more like most folk's main level--framed on three
sides, lots of windows with southern exposure, two bedrooms with kids, and a bath.

northwinds said:
I go through 4-5 cords to heat a simlar sized space in south central WI. The side benefit is that it also heats the 1200 square foot main floor above it.

I'm in the same situation. 5 cord to heat the basement, the rest of the house just goes along for the ride. Works perfectly and I never need the electric heat here in upstate New York. My winter electric bills are the lowest ones of the year.

You have to insulate or you will lose most of the heat through the walls and into the surrounding soil. I tried it without for the first year and was not happy at all. Night and day difference after insulating.

I got a 1100 sq ft Ranch in upstate, NY. I have a Jotul Castine in a finished, insulated basement. If I did it all over again, I would have went with the Oslo, but the Castine has been holding up. Keeps the basment at 75-80 while the upstairs is 60-70 depending which room. Our furnace is set at 50, and it has only kicked on a handful of times. Our RGE (Rochester Gas and Electric) have been the cheapest they've ever been. Our first year of wood burning. We bought 12 face cords, we might have two face cords left right now. We should be fine!

Good luck....I wish I found this site last summer because the biggest regret stove owners have is buying too small....I have yet to come across someone that regretted having too big. oh well, lesson learned.

Just curious, how difficult would it be to switch a Oslo into the Castine. Oslo has better clearance numbers. Would it be a lot to it, or just a simple switch? I might have to get a bigger hearth???

I doubt it'll happen but curious.

This is a hard question to answer. Is this for 24/7 heating or just nights and weekends? It depends if the basement is insulated and how well. Otherwise, the question might be: how much heat does it take to warm up the earth surrounding my basement before I am actually heating the basement space? Figure 25-30% heat loss if the basement is uninsulated. The other factor is how much heat will go upstairs? Is this is a sealed-off basement or one that has a wide, open stairway to upstairs?

Rough stab, if this is for heating the basement only and is it finished but not insulated, maybe 2-3 cords. If this is insulated but a lot of heat will head upstairs, it could be double that. Regardless, get lots of wood now and stack it to dry. If you get too much, it's no big deal. As a matter of fact, there's no such thing as too much wood. :)

Figure at least 3 cords if your going to burn 24/7 but it never hurts to get more and stay a couple years ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.