How much wood will a wood chipper chip, if a wood chipper would chip wood? Well in the case of mine.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

glacialhills

Jun 5, 2008
S.W. Michigan
I got an old WW grinder Renegade 8hp wood chipper for a song on CL but it bogs down when putting any little amount of wood into it.(I am sure that's why the song) The engine runs great But the blades are as dull as a butter knife. I cant find any info on this chipper and WW grinder folded quite a while ago. I am sure if I sharpen the blades it will work good But I havent a clue how to get the blades out easily. Any ideas? they are a lot like rototiller blades with weights between. split at the ends of each one into two prongs.Do you/can you sharpen chipper blades while in or do they have to be taken off.Well if nothing else the engine was worth the price I paid.

I'd disassemble the unit but that's just me.

Just for kicks, here's a pic of my chipping rig:

Attachments

• IMG_1105b.jpg
    IMG_1105b.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 1,061
How much wood will a wood chipper chip, if a wood chipper would chip wood? Well in the case of mine...not much

Surely that should be "How much wood would a wood chipper chip . . ." :)

If you can get to the blades with an angle grinder, I'd do them in-situ. But I'm lazy :) If not an angle grinder, can you get a file or sharpening stone to them?

I would also not sharpen them whilst the chipper is operating. But again, that's just me . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.