How much wood will I burn???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

la boucheron

Frist year with an eko 60 and no storage. I keep looking at my wood stacks and wonder...."Is this going to last me?"..... February is a tough time to come up with seasoned wood! We live in the foothills of the Adirondacks and last year we burned 1800 gal of oil. As I look at what I burn on a daily basis(more than I think it should) and the temps just starting to drop (26 last night) it scares me. Any help with how much I should have to burn to get me through to spring? Thanks

According to the Calculators 12.5 Cords!

I haven't installed my gassifier yet, but I was told to figure about 150 gals of oil= 1 cord of seasoned hardwood.Gleaned enough info from other users that I'm comfortable with those figures. Once we get thru the learning curve,might do better. Also try search on this site. Been discussed before.

I feel your pain as I too look at my piles and wonder. this is my first year of splitting and burning wood ever !!!! I purchased the e-classic and house average oil is 1600 gallons of useage. i am estimating a minimum of nine cords. the problem is my large splits and chunk do not stack cleanly, so at this point i have no idea how much i have. just going to keep processing what i can and hope i can relax some this winter.

Hello All!!
First time poster, long time lurker... I burn an average of 6 to 7 cords of wood a year mainly apple, white pine, and white oak. In the summer, I burn dried peach pits for domestic hot water; 3 grain scoops of peach pits burning for 3 hours give my wife and I enough domestic hot water for about 3 days. House: log farm house w/ 30 replacement windows, poor insulation, house 74-75 degrees, wife very happy. I fabricated a stainless dam to hold back the peach pits from falling thru the nozzle into the combustion chamber, I'll post pics soon.

Bob

la boucheron said:
Frist year with an eko 60 and no storage. I keep looking at my wood stacks and wonder...."Is this going to last me?"..... February is a tough time to come up with seasoned wood! We live in the foothills of the Adirondacks and last year we burned 1800 gal of oil. As I look at what I burn on a daily basis(more than I think it should) and the temps just starting to drop (26 last night) it scares me. Any help with how much I should have to burn to get me through to spring? Thanks

How big is your house? What's the insulation like? What kind of wood are you burning? Where you at in the Adks?

I am at the norther baase of the adirondacks... we burned 1072 gals last year with 80% of the house having new insulation, new windows and doors, etc. Using the 150/1 rule, I am anticipating 7 cords.

Eric Johnson said:
la boucheron said:

How big is your house? What's the insulation like? What kind of wood are you burning? Where you at in the Adks?

I am south of Old Forge. The house is 1850's and 2002 addition. Around 3000' with obvious problems in the old section (cracks you could throw a cat through) and well insulated tight addition. I have maple, ash and cherry mostly.

Interesting. I commute to OF three times a week. Are you right on Route 28?

By way of comparison, I have about 3,000 square feet of old farmhouse with several additions in various states of insulation. My wife likes to keep the place about 75-80. Last year I heated a greenhouse part time, all of our domestic hot water and kept the house at the aforementioned temp. We burned about 15 cords of beech, hard maple and yellow birch. I'd like to get that down around ten, so that I don't have to spend all summer hauling wood home from the Town of Webb. I'm hoping that better insulation and the activation of my tank will help do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.