How much wood will I use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnB

Jul 11, 2008
Connecticut
I am looking at buying a Tarm indoor wood ad-on boiler to heat my house along with the existing oil fired boiler. Can anyone guess or tell me how much wood you use during a winter with one of thee units??/ Much appreciated. Thanks

Figure every cord of hardwood you burn will replace about 130 to 140 gallons of oil

I've heard one cord of wood equals 150-175 gallons of oil if used in a modern gasifier.

chuck172 said:
I've heard one cord of wood equals 150-175 gallons of oil if used in a modern gasifier.

I'd go with Chuck172's estimate rather than mine. I was trying to give a "ballpark" based on woodstove efficiency -- seems a gasification system extracts more heat.

sorry posted in the wrong thread.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.