How Much Wood Woulda...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a question I was going to actually post as a question for help, but I'll try this thread 1st.
I go through about a cord of wood a month (24/7) here in coastal Maine. I heat about 1800sf with it, house temp 67-70 (63 at night)

I called a wood supplier who seemed surprised I burn that much wood. Of course he couldn't tell me what is normal (there is no such thing w/so many variables).

My wood is reasonably seasoned (split last fall or earlier; 1st load I got was June and that was partially seaoned then)

I try and keep stovetop temp 350-450; I get about 8 or 9 hours w/ a full box on my VC Vigilant (1970s or 80s non-cat; not an insert but a damper converstion). This leaves me w/ stove top temp of around 300 or so and a strong bed of coals (though more unconsumed fuel under/in the ashes - i.e., less complete burning)

Questions:
1) is the above reasonable?
2) what is more efficient from a fuel consumption standpoint- a) burning like the above (I get about 3 fireboxes full/day), b) start w/full and properly-temped firebox and let burn down to nothing (200 stovetop temp) and rebuild, or c) just continually feed throughout the day and do the full bank at night?

Thanks,

HockeyBum

A friend of mine here in central Kansas goes through about 12 cords of osage-orange per season in his outdoor furnace.
100+ y.o. farm house, poor insulation.

When I was looking at those outdoor burners, I was told by a few sources that I could plan on burning about double the wood that I would in a normal indoor wood stove per year. Not sure on that as I dont personally know anyone who owns one.

Status
Not open for further replies.