How much wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iatrapper

Jan 27, 2014
Iowa
How many cords of hard wood r u guys burning a year? And how much space r u heating with it? Im just trying to get a idea for next year. Already have 3 cords cut, im sure ill need at least twice that.

4 to 5 cords depending on the winter. This year I think it will be about 15.:mad:
Heating 1800 sqft of old farmhouse in a very windy location.

There have been lots of threads on this subject, and the answer seems to be four cords is about average.

Reactions: Jags
2 1\2 a year, in a cat stove. heating 1200 sqft of really well insulated house

For the first year you need to get a head. You need at least another 3 cords for seasoning reasons. Stay away from oak for the first few years if you can. It takes at least 2 yrs to season. You don't have the luxury of time.

Normal winter is probably about 3 cords, I've already gone through 2.5 this year though. I'm heating a 1875 sq ft ranch built in '87.

My dad's log home uses about 3.5-4 cords a year. I think it's 2200 sq ft. He can only use his stove when it's colder than 50 or so or it runs them out of the house, I use mine as soon as the temps drop.

For the first year you need to get a head. You need at least another 3 cords for seasoning reasons. Stay away from oak for the first few years if you can. It takes at least 2 yrs to season. You don't have the luxury of time.
I no i should stay away from oak but its the most available to me, have cutting a lota ash and some hickory, mostly ash. I plan on getting a year ahead this winter, laid off brick layers got a lota time for cutting right now.

Factoring in compressed logs, probably around 7 cords this winter for me. 1300 square foot, poorly insulated house. We don't have brutally cold winters, but my burning season is early October-late May at my elevation, with a handful of fires required in September and June as well.

Well, I don`t know how the weather is in Iowa, but up here in Québec, we have cold weather (32F and lower) usually starting early december and finishing in May. We usually burn 4 cords. However, this year has been brutally cold. It started early October and we have had whole weeks where the temps are at 0F and lower for weeks on end.
I've already gone through 4 cords of wood, and will be dipping into next year's supply in a week. So I figure if it stays cold like it has been, this year will be 6-7 cords.

We run about 4-5 cord and about 80% of that is soft maple and walnut. If you can get as much of them as you can. We burn them till the load before bed then fill with ash oak and so on. Our house is about 1000sf and our little stove keeps it about 75-80 in here. You can not go wrong with soft maple if you can get it.

I plan on buying a daka, 521 i think is the model number. 1800 sq ft house. I might not have a choice but to burn some 8 to 9 month oak next year, am i gona have any serious problems? The oak has ben on the ground for over a year, probably doesnt matter much though does it.

Try to find some pallet wood, compressed sawdust logs or faster seasoning wood (Silver maple, pine, ash) as soon as possible to mix in with it. Your oak will burn, but it won't be optimal.

Get as much ash as you can, that will burn next year, if you can get oak it won't hurt to cut some but you just won't be able to burn it next year, maybe the year after if you're lucky. In fact once I had enough ash I'd load up on oak so down the line you can burn as much as you want.

As
Get as much ash as you can, that will burn next year, if you can get oak it won't hurt to cut some but you just won't be able to burn it next year, maybe the year after if you're lucky. In fact once I had enough ash I'd load up on oak so down the line you can burn as much as you want.
cutting ash wont b a problem, its my second most available wood

About 4 to 5, but his year may be 6 cords.

How many cords of hard wood r u guys burning a year? And how much space r u heating with it? Im just trying to get a idea for next year. Already have 3 cords cut, im sure ill need at least twice that.

Way too many variables - heat loss of your house, climate, what you're heating with, type/condition of wood, etc. etc..

I'm heating a 18 year old 2700 sq.ft. two storey over a 1500 sq.ft. unfinished basment, on a windy hilltop, plus all DHW for a family of 5, with 6-7 cords of mixed spruce/white birch/maple. That's DHW year-round. Using a boiler & Slantfin baseboard.

Best advice I can think to give is don't stop when you think you have enough for next year - but rather just keep going whenever you're able for as long as your able. And maybe think about stopping or slowing down when you think you have 3 years wood cut ahead.

We were going through around 6 a year and that's burning 24/7 every day when the temps drop to 45 or so. 1900 sq' house thats only drafty when wind from the south (haven't replaced those old windows yet). We installed a new stove several weeks ago and am using about 1/2 the wood as before.

I have all kinds of wood. Walnut, black cherry, hedge, maple, apple, hickory, ash, more ash, lots of ash, hackberry, mulberry and even some willow. Ash is nice caus I can process it now and burn it starting in October if needed.

Difficult to find a common ground. For sure it depends upon the amount of space you are heating. Not just sq ft but cu ft because some have very tall ceilings. Also depend on you insulation, doors, windows, etc. Also depends upon what wood you are burning and if it is dry wood or marginal or even green wood.

Just to give an example, we burn 3 cord per year and added a room a few years ago. But we also added some insulation, new doors and windows and we still burn only 3 cord per year. More space but no more heat.

I would say plan on at least 4 cords per season but so much depends on your house, heat loss, are you heating with wood 24/7, etc. Also do you have an EPA stove - they are a lot more efficient. But I think 4 cords is a good ballpark figure to start with.

A Daka in iowa, Best get about 10 cord, Daka's are hungry.

R they? Haven't purchased one yet, still trying to decide on what to buy, 1800 sq ft house, not the greatest insulation and a few leaky windows when the winds bad. Any suggestions that wont break the bank?

A Kuuma may break the bank but it will be worth it.

Another thing - comparing wood used by a space heating stove to wood used by a central heating unit like a furnace or boiler, in similar sized homes, isn't exactly apples to apples. Furnaces & boilers put the heat where you want it and will make your house a lot more comfortable overall - the whole house will have a more even controllable warmth.

Reactions: STIHLY DAN
Status
Not open for further replies.