How much Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pinewoodburner

Feeling the Heat
Jan 29, 2008
Va.
I am going to set up either a Woodstock or a Heathstone stove this summer. I live in Va and the winters are not that cold. I am doing away with the oil heat and replacing the central air with a Heat Pump. I want to run the stove 24/7 when it is cold. I am heating aprox 1600 sq feet, rancher, med insulations. How many cords of wood will I need. I know this will only be an estimate. Thanks.

I'm asuming you'll be using the heat pump for heat as well as the central air? If so, I'd think 2-3 cords should do it. If you heat 24/7 for the heating season with just your stove, I'd say more like 4. I'll use a bit over 4 with my Woodstock stove and it is virtually the entire heat source for about 1200+ feet here in NH.

pinewoodburner said:
I am going to set up either a Woodstock or a Heathstone stove this summer. I live in Va and the winters are not that cold. I am doing away with the oil heat and replacing the central air with a Heat Pump. I want to run the stove 24/7 when it is cold. I am heating aprox 1600 sq feet, rancher, med insulations. How many cords of wood will I need. I know this will only be an estimate. Thanks.

I'd say 2 honest cords of wood should be more than enough with an efficient stove in your climate.. I only use about 3 cords in Mass. and generally it is colder longer here.. FYI I only burn hardwood here..

Ray

I live in central VA near Charlottesville and so far have burned almost 2 cords from Nov 1 till now. I use my stove for the primary heat source, burning 24/7 as the weather permits, except for 1 bedroom in the back of a 1400 sq ft ranch with little to no insulation.

If the winter were a little colder I would probably burn more like 3 cords. It has been rather mild this year.

3 cords should work to get you through from Nov1 - March 31. Also depends on how you run the stove, the amount of draft and the quality of the wood. Lots of factors determining success.

Although, you can never have too much wood.

J.P.

Depends on the wood quality. I'm on track to have burnt just under a cord a month for the entire burn season which is September 15th to about may 15. So about 6 cords of softwoods.

If you are planning on several years of woodburning then I would put up no less than 10 cords now. That will get you some left overs for next year. Next spring you can compare actual consumption and replenish your pile with with at least that much.

Pine, I heat 2100 sq. ft., 24/7 here in NH. I started burning in mid Oct. and have burned 2 1/2 cord so far this year. My new stove is much more efficient than the old stove and cleaner too.

Jim

I agree with highbeam . . . there is a lot to be said for being a year ahead on wood. You'll want the wood to be seasoned for a year to get good heat. Two years seems to be ideal (stacked and drying, not laying on the ground as logs). By being a year ahead you'll:

1) have extra in case you misestimate your heating needs or have a particularly bad winter;

2) ensure that in the second year, your wood will be 2 years old;

3) be in better shape in case you get injured and can't split your own wood/money is tight.

You provided us with useful stats like house size and insulation. However, what is the typical night time Jan/Feb temp and what is the absolute coldest? It will make a difference is you are in the mountains vs. coastal when calculating how much you need.

Also, if you have never has a stove before, figure that you'll need an extra 1/2 cord to cord above what everyone here tells you you'll need if you are new to woodburning. It takes time to get used to how the stove performs and you'll be inefficient at first.

Good luck.

and . . . with a Hearthstone Homestead and 1650 square feet in MA with typical nighttime temps of 10-25 degrees F, I figure I need about 4 cords . . . but I've only been burning since December 1st.

Clownfish is right on, especially #3. Last year my hand was crushed in the splitter on July 29th. As of December I'd say I was ready to get back to cutting and splitting, after months of surgery and rehab. Don't mess around. Be safe and get yourself ahead on wood. Lucky for me, the same guy who was running the splitter and helped in crushing me in it was the guy who worked his a$$ off to get the rest of our load split and stacked as I tried to save my finger. Right now, 15 degrees outside, 74 inside, I love him and I hate him!

Get ahead, be ahead, be prepared. As safe as you try to be, anything can happen. Try to have a backup if something DOES happen.

BTW - Upstate NY, I've only burned 1 3/4 cords, 1/2 days, all day on weekends. Biggest thing I've learned, HOW to burn your stove correctly, not how much you put in it.

I think I will try to get 4 cords cut, split and stacked over the next two months.

I have about 1 cord that already and I found a person to deliver a cord of oak for $140. Delivery is this week. If it is as described, I may just buy the rest of the wood verse splitting myself.

I have some condern about getting to much wood since the climate here is so humid from May thru Sept.

Thanks for all the replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.