How much wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ltcmama

May 14, 2008
warm by the fire
We just installed our BIS ultima three months ago so we have no idea how much wood we will need for next winter. We live in Ohio and plan on burning 24/7 prolly from october to april (or maybe May....look at this may!!!) Any idea on roughly how much i will need?

Most people use 3-5 full cords on average depending on stove efficiency, house sq footage and other factors. Cut as much as you can and try to get 1 or 2 years ahead so your wood is good and dry.

I've run 4-5 cords through my ultima each of the last two years to heat 2000 sqft. That's burning everything from pine and poplar up through locust and hickory, certainly would be somewhat less with all oak, say.

You should already have some wood stacked and seasoning. If this is your first year with heating with wood, do not make the common mistake of buying wood when you need it. If you buy it, get it now! Do not wait. If you cut your own, it should have already been cut, split and stacked in order to be ready to burn next winter.

Good luck.

Yeah! ^ I think what Backwoods Savage thinks.

Yeah, and I think, I think what Backwoods thinks. ;-P too!

It was said earlier, but I will say it again. If you are new to wood burning, take the advise of getting a year AHEAD of the current years burning. You can thank us later.

we have been cutting, splitting and stacking wood for 6 weeks now. It should be ready for this upcoming winter, right? Or should i buy some now that is already seasoned for this winter? also, this is kind of a dumb question but, there is no such thing as too much wood is there? Basically what i am asking is how long will wood stay "good" or not rot?

ltcmama said:
we have been cutting, splitting and stacking wood for 6 weeks now. It should be ready for this upcoming winter, right? Or should i buy some now that is already seasoned for this winter? also, this is kind of a dumb question but, there is no such thing as too much wood is there? Basically what i am asking is how long will wood stay "good" or not rot?

Will it be ready for this burning season? That really depends on what flavor the wood is. If its oak, then no. If its ash, then yes. Lots of variables. If you question this, and if it is reasonably possible, you may consider the purchase of "seasoned" wood from a firewoods place, and get IT stacked as soon as possible. The stuff you are working on now, will be even better next year.

Properly stacked with top covered, "most" hardwoods will keep for several years. If under roof, it will keep for a very long time. I had a "backup stack" of about 2 cords in an old chicken coop that was at least 9 years old. Perfect condition, although maybe a little too dry.

I`m almost a year ahead now, and in the past been playing catchup. the latter is the wrong way to go. IMHO there is no such thing as too much wood.

you will find out how much wood you need as you start burning. if you were to find out that you have enough wood to last 3-4 years well keep it dry and relax you don't have to worry about the cost of heat. if you think it is going to rot before you use it you can always sell it.

sonnyinbc said:
I`m almost a year ahead now, and in the past been playing catchup. the latter is the wrong way to go. IMHO there is no such thing as too much wood.
that is what i thought too. I dont want to play catch up at all and so i just keep cutting and collecting. If i dont use it this year i will next year.

johnd said:
you will find out how much wood you need as you start burning. if you were to find out that you have enough wood to last 3-4 years well keep it dry and relax you don't have to worry about the cost of heat. if you think it is going to rot before you use it you can always sell it.
great point, but i am sure that we really wont have enough to sell, like i said to the last post, if i dont use it this year i'll use it next year! =)

Status
Not open for further replies.