how much wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stockdoct

Oct 19, 2008
ilinois
Next week I'll have a large Lopi Freedom insert installed professionally into my fireplace. Although I will continue to use my furnace as a power backup, I hope to use my insert for at least 50-75% of my heat during the winter for my 2-story, 2400 sq ft home. How much wood will I need per winter? I've had two pick-up truckloads delivered and stacked, which I estimate as a cord, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind getting two years worth, just to season for next winter too ......

How much wood do y'all go through in a winter?

Figure on at least 3 full cords minimum. And once you get used to the real warmth of wood heat? 4 cords per season would be an even better bet. And always try and stay at least one year ahead of the game. Now it`s your turn to do the math ;-)

How good is your insulation times the size of your firebox divided by your square footage... or a something...

I go through 5 cords a year (poor insulation - 3.2 cf firebox - 2400 sf)

The stove probably compensates for 66-75% of my natural gas heating bill, but I'm planning on some insulation, and hopefully, windows some day soon.`

stockdoct if you have any neighbors that burn wood they could probably give you a better idea what amount you can expect to burn. btw you're on the right track planning ahead.

Adios Pantalones said:
3.5 - 5 cord probably covers 80+% of the people that I have talked to.
3-5 sounds dead on!

What part of IL are you from? From the top to bottom is like comparing the south end of Michigan to Nashville. I live on the north border of IL and heat 80% with wood and go through ~5 cords of mixed hardwoods. If you were on the south tip of IL, I would say probably 3 cords would get ya there.

Last season I burnt almost 4 cords. I currently have 25.5 cord cut split and stacked. Three of my friends had their property timbered 3 years ago. I have unlimited access to it and I am trying to get the tops and scrap logs cut before it gets to punky for firewood. I cut at least 2 pickup loads each weekend. By burning that amount in my stove I only used 230 gallon of heating oil. In years past with only oil I would use 750 gallon, that works out that the wood gives me about 70% of my heat.

Deadon said:
Last season I burnt almost 4 cords. I currently have 25.5 cord cut split and stacked. Three of my friends had their property timbered 3 years ago. I have unlimited access to it and I am trying to get the tops and scrap logs cut before it gets to punky for firewood. I cut at least 2 pickup loads each weekend. By burning that amount in my stove I only used 230 gallon of heating oil. In years past with only oil I would use 750 gallon, that works out that the wood gives me about 70% of my heat.

Thats a nice reduction of oil usage. Im guessing you use oil for your water heater? How often would your furnace turn on while you burn?

This is my first winter with oil heat, had gas at the house I sold this past spring. I have the therm set at 63 degrees during the day and mid 50s at night. I dont mind being a little chilly while I work. I just throw a hoodie on. I didnt like paying the oil man $500+ for 150 gallons a few weeks ago.

I dont have an insert yet but I cant wait to get one...I have about 3 cords of wood on hand right now drying out for next winter.

I cant belive its snowing down here in the Philly area already. This is crazy. We have a World Series to Win!

Hello fellow Pennsylvanian, I heat my water with electric I would love to be able to heat it with my wood stove. My furnace only runs in early morning if I do not get up through the night to work the fire. In weather that we are experiencing in Pa now it only runs if my son gets to the t-stat. When the winter settles in it may run a couple times during the day but only for a short time. I live mid-way between Pittsburg and Altoona. World Series is in the BAG.

i am in alaska i have a 1080 sqft house with an attached garage, an oil boiler and a osburn 1600 and it gets bitter cold for about 8 months every year. i set my oil burner thermastats at 50 just incase and it only heats the water all winter, almost, including the garage where i keep the door open a little. i use about 15 gallons of oil a month which is way better than the 150+ gallons i used in my old house every month for 8 months of winter. i saved about $4000 on oil this year and expect to save more as time goes by. also i keep the house around 80 degrees in all the rooms and some times 85-90 in the living room because weman have body heat problems! i also have a new born so it doesnt hurt to keep it warmer since its free. i use about 3-4 cords if i burn all the time but i could keep it like 70 degrees on like 2-3 cords. i dont care though its free heat.

One thing that I've learned from this site and other burners is that you don't want to run out and be buying in the middle of winter. That could hurt. Besides, you can burn the leftover next year.

Good luck.

stockdoct said:
Next week I'll have a large Lopi Freedom insert installed professionally into my fireplace. Although I will continue to use my furnace as a power backup, I hope to use my insert for at least 50-75% of my heat during the winter for my 2-story, 2400 sq ft home. How much wood will I need per winter? I've had two pick-up truckloads delivered and stacked, which I estimate as a cord, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't mind getting two years worth, just to season for next winter too ......

How much wood do y'all go through in a winter?

It depends on how warm you like to be and how well insulated your house is. I go through just over 2 cord per year in my poorly insulated 1300 sq ft house, but I'm not home most of the time. My retired parents who are cold and home all the time burn a little over 6 cord to heat their well insulated 3000 sq ft home.

I have about 5 cords ready to go I'm trying to keep a good record on what I burn this yr I went from burning about 600 gal of fuel a yr to last yr burning 100 I'm trying to just urn wood me and the wife keep a good eye on the fire I think last yr it was about 3.5 to 4 my home is all block with every cavity filled with sand and still have pretty good windows(anderson) for their age we have a wood chuck type stove and we heat basement and living level with the living level about 1350 sq ft and basement about 1000 sq ft so I think I'm doing all right the wife got a little crazy and ordered oil the other day (just in case)I live in eastern ohio about at the top of the wv pan handle

Status
Not open for further replies.